• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FX Ballistics Chronograph

Defender32

Whiskey & Hammers Help
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 28, 2020
    West KY
    I received my FX Ballistics Chronograph on Saturday and finally got a chance to shoot over it a little bit Monday afternoon. I am in the middle of testing some 40g Slugs to swap to over my 34g slugs. And have an easy tune to swap between as well. The first picture is my 34g and the other 3 are my 3 different 40g slugs. This radar is amazing!!! All I have done at this point in testing is shoot with my 34g tune. The groups are just outside 1" at 50y for the 40s. My 34s are right at 1/2" at 50y. More to come as I get more testing with this radar system.

IMG_8090.jpeg

IMG_8082.jpeg

IMG_8083.jpeg

IMG_8084.jpeg

I'll be very interested to hear what the results are. Sounds promising.

My buddy has one that we were using when shooting 22 LR. It picked up every shot without any special fiddling or placement next to the muzzle. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have a way to internally save sessions like the labradar.

I picked up an FX True Ballistic chrono and went to the range today. Everything worked great until other shooters with Labradars showed up and started up their LRs. By the time 4 LRs were setup and running, the FX starting having problems. I switched on the interference monitor and it was redlined with 100% interference for about 5 minutes. I finally gave up and decided to call FX and see if there is a way to troubleshoot the issue. It may be that I just cannot use it at the range on a busy day when other radars are causing interference. I will call FX on Monday and report back.

Before the interference problem started, the FX worked flawlessly.

I picked up an FX True Ballistic chrono and went to the range today. Everything worked great until other shooters with Labradars showed up and started up their LRs. By the time 4 LRs were setup and running, the FX starting having problems. I switched on the interference monitor and it was redlined with 100% interference for about 5 minutes. I finally gave up and decided to call FX and see if there is a way to troubleshoot the issue. It may be that I just cannot use it at the range on a busy day when other radars are causing interference. I will call FX on Monday and report back.

Before the interference problem started, the FX worked flawlessly.

Just read through the manual for the FX, and I'm rather surprised there's no options to choose a different channel/frequency like there is for the lab radar so you can have multiple units running simultaneously. Maybe it automatically tries different frequencies if it detects interference? Let us know what FX has to say about it.

I do really like the interference monitor on the FX though, be nice if lab radar added something similar in a firmware update. That would save a lot of head scratching if you're getting inconsistent reads.

if you scroll down in the config menu you can change the frequency, channels mHz.

Used my FX today shooting 22LR. Picked up every shot. 2 hours of shooting test bunch of ammo and it was still at 75% charged. 85 degrees out, hot and humid. very happy with it.

Is it made in China?
    It is a product of FX Airguns, which is a company in Sweden. I will look at mine when I get home and see if there is an indication of where it is fabricated and report back.

Does anyone have a LR to compare it too. Looking at the andiscan, but not sure if I should go this route. I know their video says they compared it to a well known chrono. Did not mention any names. Just was looking for insight is all.

Went to the desert with the FX today and it performed flawlessly. Very happy with it.

Got a trial FX chrono today, quick video of setup and user interface here for anyone interested.
    I'll do some videos comparing the Magneto, Labradar and FX when I can get out into the hills again.

Reactions: 918v and mjspeers
    Hello everyone,
    I received my FX True Balistic chronoraph last week and tried it out this weekend.
    Everything works perfectly but I didn't manage to get the BC of my shots. The Bluetooth is activated and so is my APP on my mobile.
    Do you know why this might be?
    Another little oddity is that for some speeds, those given by the screen and those confirmed by the app are 1m/s different. It's not significant, but it's hard to understand.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Christian O. (France)

Pretty cool. Wondering how battery life is?
    I've had several 3-4 range time doing load development and the battery is still shows 75%. Just did some lot testing (22LR) with my suppressor and picked up every shot. placement was not an issue.
    shoot 1.jpgshoot 2.jpgshoot 3.jpg
    Best Chrono i've used. Ease of use and has picked up every shot. I just wished that the App was like the Bullet Seeker.

Does anyone know where to find one of these units? Everywhere I've checked is out of stock.

Hopefully it’s demand related and company continues to support. In my 3-4 range trips it has been way better than my old LR

FX is awesome.
    If you think, FX or LR, no questions that FX is better, easier to use and battery last ages.
    And it can take reading from a normal bb gun.

FX is awesome.
    If you think, FX or LR, no questions that FX is better, easier to use and battery last ages.
    And it can take reading from a normal bb gun.

Considering how the other rechargeable flashlights, phones and lights I have in the hiuse. I wonder how this thing will perform in 3 - 5 years?
    thks. However, I am relly debating getting one.

I took the FX to the range this week, along with a Garmin Xero, and tested them side-by-side. They both picked up every shot. The Garmin is nice but the FX provides more information and customization. I like both of them but I actually think the FX is going to be my "go-to" on most outings. It is just a easy to set up, is just as good at picking up shots, and provides more data. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: skyrep
    I took the FX to the range this week, along with a Garmin Xero, and tested them side-by-side. They both picked up every shot. The Garmin is nice but the FX provides more information and customization. I like both of them but I actually think the FX is going to be my "go-to" on most outings. It is just an easy to set up, is just as good at picking up shots, and provides more data. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Same!

Has anyone tried the v58 Beta firmware update yet? If so, any negative issues encountered?
    I haven’t but the release notes sounds cool! I also want them to save the individual shot BCs in the export! It’s annoying that it has the data but not when you export it to a CSV!

Who else is having issues downloading the firmware drivers?
    I got an FX TB unit last week and downloaded Chrome, turned off antivirus software, blocked antivirus software, did a dance, spun around twice and tried every other thing I could find online and CANNOT access the STM drivers to download the available 3 updates I need. I tried like 10 times to do without success, the only answer I can get for suppiort from FX is to use Chrome...which I am.

Seems rediculous to me what must be undertaken and the issues with it to download the updated firmware. Very frustration and regretting my purchase already.

I got an FX TB unit last week and downloaded Chrome, turned off antivirus software, blocked antivirus software, did a dance, spun around twice and tried every other thing I could find online and CANNOT access the STM drivers to download the available 3 updates I need. I tried like 10 times to do without success, the only answer I can get for suppiort from FX is to use Chrome...which I am.

Seems rediculous to me what must be undertaken and the issues with it to download the updated firmware. Very frustration and regretting my purchase already.
    Check that you are allowing JavaScript to run on your browser. Or not blocking popups!

That is a drag that you are having problems with the download. I did not have a problem but I candidly am not enough of a computer tech to know why mine worked and yours didn't, so I am of no use. I hope you get it worked out because I really like the FX. However, if it doesn't run, I totally get the buyer's remorse.

Reactions: category_theory
    What are folks thoughts of the FX compared to the new Garmin offering? Personally I’m all in on the FX just due to the data it provides over the Garmin.

Reactions: FredHammer
    I have both and have run both side-by-side. The Garmin is great but my "go-to" is the FX. The FX picks up shots just as well and provides more data and flexibility. IMHO. Obviously, the FX is larger but it works fine for the type of shooting I do.

Coming from 25yrs of sky screen chronographs, I am happy as a clam with the FXTB. I can see the benefit of a gun mounted Garmin (Which Garmin claims voids the warranty) for shooting out the truck cab. (For winter sessions)

I need to confirm if the FXTB calculates bullet weight off the "profiles" of the phone app, or if it uses what's manually entered in the unit for bullet weight. I didn't think to check after I had 14gr for a pellet gun entered in the unit, then went and shot 300WM using the 215gr bullet weight in the app. :ROFLMAO: I guess if it shows G7 BC of .300s it's calculating the 215gr and not the 14gr.

Coming from 25yrs of sky screen chronographs, I am happy as a clam with the FXTB. I can see the benefit of a gun mounted Garmin (Which Garmin claims voids the warranty) for shooting out the truck cab. (For winter sessions)

I need to confirm if the FXTB calculates bullet weight off the "profiles" of the phone app, or if it uses what's manually entered in the unit for bullet weight. I didn't think to check after I had 14gr for a pellet gun entered in the unit, then went and shot 300WM using the 215gr bullet weight in the app. :ROFLMAO: I guess if it shows G7 BC of .300s it's calculating the 215gr and not the 14gr.
    Yes, I was drawn to the Garmin because of the small form factor and the ability to mount it to the gun. I bought the Garmin and put together an Arca attachment system, only to find out that Garmin says mounting on the gun voids the warranty. Then I heard people saying that some of their Garmin units were failing under recoil when attached to the gun. Well, if I have to set up the Garmin in the same way I set up the FXTB and they are both easy set-ups, I'd rather use the FXTB. I still own both because I am a chronograph junky, but I prefer the FXTB. I started out in the late 1980's with a home-spun chrono unit getting speeds for gun articles I wrote for Petersen's Hunting. Safe to say we are now in the golden age of chronographs. We have consumer-level chronos now that we never dreamed of in the 80's.

Yes, I was drawn to the Garmin because of the small form factor and the ability to mount it to the gun. I bought the Garmin and put together an Arca attachment system, only to find out that Garmin says mounting on the gun voids the warranty. Then I heard people saying that some of their Garmin units were failing under recoil when attached to the gun. Well, if I have to set up the Garmin in the same way I set up the FXTB and they are both easy set-ups, I'd rather use the FXTB. I still own both because I am a chronograph junky, but I prefer the FXTB. I started out in the late 1980's with a home-spun chrono unit getting speeds for gun articles I wrote for Petersen's Hunting. Safe to say we are now in the golden age of chronographs. We have consumer-level chronos now that we never dreamed of in the 80's.
    Amen. I never did go the LabRadar route either. Price and then the more price for all the add-ons needed and still people reporting finicky results. I was overjoyed when I saw the FXTB come out and the Garmin. I thought it was about time with all the advancements this day & age. I figured LabRadar would have been the first to produce an enhanced product, but they didn't change a thing to stay competitive. Weird.

Amen. I never did go the LabRadar route either. Price and then the more price for all the add-ons needed and still people reporting finicky results. I was overjoyed when I saw the FXTB come out and the Garmin. I thought it was about time with all the advancements this day & age. I figured LabRadar would have been the first to produce an enhanced product, but they didn't change a thing to stay competitive. Weird.
    Yep, Labradar has kind of become the Blackberry of chronographs. Blackberry owned the mobile phone market, failed to innovate, and now there's a whole generation that doesn't even know what a Blackberry is. 🤣😂

That is a drag that you are having problems with the download. I did not have a problem but I candidly am not enough of a computer tech to know why mine worked and yours didn't, so I am of no use. I hope you get it worked out because I really like the FX. However, if it doesn't run, I totally get the buyer's remorse.
    I just kept trying it on the three different computers we have here (old laptoips, old desktop, new desktop), said some prayers and triesd the same things liek 20 times...then one time it worked and I updated all that was available. Not looking forward to the next update though. thks

What are folks thoughts of the FX compared to the new Garmin offering? Personally I’m all in on the FX just due to the data it provides over the Garmin.
    My buddy has one and we shot 10 -15 shots side by side out my Vudoo and the two were within 1.5 fps for each shot. The FX has more bells and whistles for about the same price here anyway.

I just kept trying it on the three different computers we have here (old laptoips, old desktop, new desktop), said some prayers and triesd the same things liek 20 times...then one time it worked and I updated all that was available. Not looking forward to the next update though. thks
    So, it's kind of a "pat head while rub belly thing", but as long as one has the data transfer USB cord type and not the charging type. I watched the FX TB youtube video and while the instructions aren't that intuitive (at all) I managed to step by step the download and my BCs got way closer to the published data.

That's bad that it's so hard to update. I find that if I follow the steps in the "how to update" video on YouTube, it works first time with my hardware setup and combination. I feel fortunate for that. I hope it is not as hard next time you have to update, but I guess there is not any particular reason the situation will change. Good luck!!!

Reactions: Precision Quest
    I was intrigued by the FX, particularly the claimed ability to read to 300 yds. I emailed the company, called the company, etc. Couldn't get a response.

A friend had an associate shooter that bought one. He asked my friend to test it beside his Oehler '89 and his Garmins.

Looks like it gave pretty good MV but the downrange and BC info is suspect.

Most disappointing was it reporting a velocity beyond where the projectile impacted. Perhaps it just "guessed"?

He sent this yesterday:

Previous Oehler and FX test resulted in a major difference in record BCs. Test ammo was RWS R-50 from the same lot and shot from the same rifle. The Oehler recorded RA-4 BC was 0.126 and the FX recorded BC was 0.148. Each BC was programed in the Strelok ballistic calculator and a 300 yd line test was conducted. The FX higher BC resulted in the bullet strikes to be .6 mils low, whereas the Oehler BC bullet strikes were on line.

In another test, one of the FX set distance was programmed beyond the bullets impact point, but the FX record a velocity at that set distance.

The discrepancy between the Oehler and FX required additional testing which was conducted yesterday. The Garmin was placed at 100 yds and 200 yds and the FX distance was programmed for both. Five shots were fired past the Garmin and the velocity results are as follows:

100yds
    Shot FX Garmin
    1 953 927
    2 971 945
    3 970 948
    4 956 934
    5 950 931
    avg 988 937 = 51’/sec difference

200 yds
    Shot FX Garmin
    1 871 817
    2 881 824
    3 868 833
    4 881 828
    5 871 823
    avg 874 823 = 49’/sec difference

Interesting info. Adding 50’/sec to the Strelok programed MV results in a .6 mil error.

At the bench the FX and Garmin recorded MVs were within 1’/sec of each other.

The unanswered question, is the recorded bullet velocity discrepancy common to all FX units or to the one tested?

I was intrigued by the FX, particularly the claimed ability to read to 300 yds. I emailed the company, called the company, etc. Couldn't get a response.

A friend had an associate shooter that bought one. He asked my friend to test it beside his Oehler '89 and his Garmins.

Looks like it gave pretty good MV but the downrange and BC info is suspect.

Most disappointing was it reporting a velocity beyond where the projectile impacted. Perhaps it just "guessed"?

He sent this yesterday:

Previous Oehler and FX test resulted in a major difference in record BCs. Test ammo was RWS R-50 from the same lot and shot from the same rifle. The Oehler recorded RA-4 BC was 0.126 and the FX recorded BC was 0.148. Each BC was programed in the Strelok ballistic calculator and a 300 yd line test was conducted. The FX higher BC resulted in the bullet strikes to be .6 mils low, whereas the Oehler BC bullet strikes were on line.

In another test, one of the FX set distance was programmed beyond the bullets impact point, but the FX record a velocity at that set distance.

The discrepancy between the Oehler and FX required additional testing which was conducted yesterday. The Garmin was placed at 100 yds and 200 yds and the FX distance was programmed for both. Five shots were fired past the Garmin and the velocity results are as follows:

100yds
    Shot FX Garmin
    1 953 927
    2 971 945
    3 970 948
    4 956 934
    5 950 931
    avg 988 937 = 51’/sec difference

200 yds
    Shot FX Garmin
    1 871 817
    2 881 824
    3 868 833
    4 881 828
    5 871 823
    avg 874 823 = 49’/sec difference

Interesting info. Adding 50’/sec to the Strelok programed MV results in a .6 mil error.

At the bench the FX and Garmin recorded MVs were within 1’/sec of each other.

The unanswered question, is the recorded bullet velocity discrepancy common to all FX units or to the one tested?
    Why did you not turn off the collection points beyond your target?

You can set capture at 4 distances

I bought a True Ballistics maybe two months before I heard about the Garmin. Is there still any real benefit to the FX if the downrange velocities and BC are unreliable?