• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fx120i scale

needham

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2020
So I'm wanting to do more precision reloading, as I enjoy the challenge of it.

With precision, comes spending money, especially on a scale.

Is there a better scale than the fx120i for a man's money to feature ratio?
(I'm never buying a Prometheus scale)

The only thing better than the Fx120i is two Fx120i's 👊
Screenshot_20200628-084133~2.png

While we are on the topic of powder, and manual charging.

I currently have a saturn funnel, but it's not gonna work on the 550 without inference with other dies it seems.

What's the best way to set up to pour the manual charge into the case on a 550?

I’ve tried most combinations for powder kits: Dillon, Area419, RCBS & Hornady.

The most trouble free is the Hornady LNL powder funnel die coupled with the cheap MTM plastic adapters.
Transparent, nearly bridge free & provides the snuggest fit. The Dillon powder die funnel head is loose & wobbly in comparison.

(The combination above bridges frequently & you’ll never know cause you cant see it. I started with that combo & switched to Hornady)

A3DB3E01-9BAC-4A44-AEB9-DFDD3D373B71.jpeg

1593360640906.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: needham
I know of the Gucci way

So this way mates right up to the dillon powder die and caliber specific powder funnel in the conversion kit, correct?
Easy peasy?

I guess if I'm gonna go precision, I might as well go precision.......

So this way mates right up to the dillon powder die and caliber specific powder funnel in the conversion kit, correct?
Easy peasy?

I guess if I'm gonna go precision, I might as well go precision.......
I’ve never used it so I can vouch for nothing other than the fact that it looks pretty. Della dog seems to disapprove though.

(I do use a plain jane mtm with no extras just like his top piece myself, it’s my favorite so far but I’m not on progressive)

Nothing a quick wipe of a dryer sheet can’t handle. And I haven’t ever had to rub mine down though, nothing clings to it. And it will only bridge if you dump right in the bottom about 50% of the time but so will every other funnel I’ve ever tried. Dump on the side of the funnel or actually pour and it’s great.

The one actual issue I’ve found with the mtm is that it’s too long for a short dasher neck, for that reason I keep an mtm caliber swap funnel around. I don’t think that would be an issue in a progressive powder die though.

Nope, no static like spife says.

Trust me, I’ve got the 419 setup & you’ll never be sure each charge is true because it will bridge and you wont notice for several rounds because the bridge builds slowly.

I use the area 419 with two or three 3" extensions. The Dillon powder die adapter just sits on top of the powder die. It is not thread in. I adjust the die so that the sliding insert will push the powder funnel up slightly when you lower the RAM and push the case up into it. So when I raise a case, charge it with powder, and lower it the entire funnel assembly moves up, then down onto it's shoulder. I do this to eliminate any bridging. It works pretty well.

Same as me...I have never had a powder bridge doing it this way all the way up to 93 grain charges

I use the area 419 with two or three 3" extensions. The Dillon powder die adapter just sits on top of the powder die. It is not thread in. I adjust the die so that the sliding insert will push the powder funnel up slightly when you lower the RAM and push the case up into it. So when I raise a case, charge it with powder, and lower it the entire funnel assembly moves up, then down onto it's shoulder. I do this to eliminate any bridging. It works pretty well.

do you think it would be all the same only using one 3 inch extension?
I am asuming the addition extentions are to provide more free fall to lessen bridge chances?

for sure, same thing as using my saturn on my turret, just different pieces. though I never have had a drop tube.

I generally use 8208 and AR Comp, rarely do either bridge, when one does its ar comp.

Reactions: reubenski

Ive been doing the exact same thing for years now with the Area419 setup and drop tube. I always adjust the powder die so the entire funnel/drop tube setup pushes up a little bit. Never had any bridging in 100's of thousands of rounds to date.

Well, I haven't been so fortunate. Perhaps some mods can be made to address the issue; but the issue is real, and insidious (for me).

My experience is similar to the authors below.

In any case, the Dillon 550 & Fx120i combo produce outstanding results.

1.PNG

2.PNG

One thing to state, I do not use my powder dies as they come stock from Dillon. All of my powder dies (the part that is caliber specific and slides up and down, not the die body) are polished to a mirror finish and there was an entire thread on that on here somewhere with what I did, how and pictures. They are literally polished to a mirror finish. They have lots of tooling marks in them from Dillon.....Just adding that to this discussion....