• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FYI - Tikka T3x TAC A1 Rifle Stock QD Mount Issue

Conaso

Private
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2011
Virginia
I wrote to Beretta/Sako_Tikka and complained about an issue with the stock's QD mount. I thought others would be be interested in their responses.

Conaso - Tikka T3x TAC A1 Rifle - On the folding stock, Sako/Tikka placed the QD hole next to the hook-swivel. The design prevents the use of Quick Detach swivels without the QD swivel jamming against the hook loop, preventing free movement and damaging both the hook loop and swivel. Is their some way to remove the hook loop without breaking it or damaging the stock? Or, can Sakko/Tikka provide a QD male/female extender-adapter to place the QD swivel further out?

Tikka - This is the first we have heard of this issue. Could you send a photo of your set up so we can evaluate.

Conaso - You've received no complaints but they are out there being discussed in the forum. However, the quality of the A1 overwhelms such a minor issue that those carrying the weapon, and not only bench-shooting, are using the Magpul Paraclip or HK-style sling hook. Try it yourself and you will see what I mean.

Tikka - Thanks for the update and photos. We do not have a swivel extension at this time. I have made Tikka and product management aware of your findings. If a solution is provided I will pass the details on to you.

Attachments

• Tikka 1of2.jpg
    Tikka 1of2.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 413
  • Tikka 2of2.jpg
    Tikka 2of2.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 384
Reactions: Tikka Tinker
IIRC, I removed the hook-swivel near just above the grip using a screwdriver and rotating CCW. I drilled out the hook-swivel you're referring too.

Remove the butt pad(s) and you can access the roll pin that holds it in place.

IMG_0176.jpeg

Last edited:
IIRC, I removed the hook-swivel near just above the grip using a screwdriver and rotating CCW. I drilled out the hook-swivel you're referring too.

Remove the butt pad(s) and you can access the roll pin that holds it in place.

Is drilling the roll pin or stake the only way to remove that rear swivel? I'm in the process of stripping it down to cerakote the chassis and I wanted to double check with experienced members. Also trying to figure out how to remove the scope rail since it's staked or pinned to the receiver too.

Is drilling the roll pin or stake the only way to remove that rear swivel? I'm in the process of stripping it down to cerakote the chassis and I wanted to double check with experienced members. Also trying to figure out how to remove the scope rail since it's staked or pinned to the receiver too.

I regards to the scope rail....
Check out my posts regarding scope rail removal. The posts have plenty of pictures. It can be done, but there is one variable you can't control or see. That variable is whether or not the epoxy, which was factory applied to bed the rail, made its way into any of the threaded holes. Mine had epoxy in 2 holes and I ended up stripping the soft screws. I ended up drilling the screws out and chasing the threads.

I would suggest soaking the threads by flipping over the rifle, pulling the bolt out and applying KROIL or other penetrating oil through the mag well and let it soak overnight. The last rifle I helped work on, I used a small 1/4" drive impact driver! It worked beautifully in removing the screws without stripping them! 3 holes had epoxy in them.

Usually I am not a fan of using power tools on any firearms, but in this case, it worked. Not sure if the KROIL helped , the hammer action of the impact or both. Patience is the key. As far as removing the epoxy from the rail and receiver, I used JASCO in a well ventilated area.

If interested, I have some custom 20 MOA rails for sale specifically made for the Tikka T3X TAC A1. Send a PM if interested. I apologize for the long winded post.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I regards to the scope rail....
Check out my posts regarding scope rail removal. The posts have plenty of pictures. It can be done, but there is one variable you can't control or see. That variable is whether or not the epoxy, which was factory applied to bed the rail, made its way into any of the threaded holes. Mine had epoxy in 2 holes and I ended up stripping the soft screws. I ended up drilling the screws out and chasing the threads.

I would suggest soaking the threads by flipping over the rifle, pulling the bolt out and applying KROIL or other penetrating oil through the mag well and let it soak overnight. The last rifle I helped work on, I used a small 1/4" drive impact driver! It worked beautifully in removing the screws without stripping them! 3 holes had epoxy in them.

Usually I am not a fan of using power tools on any firearms, but in this case, it worked. Not sure if the KROIL helped , the hammer action of the impact or both. Patience is the key. As far as removing the epoxy from the rail and receiver, I used JASCO in a well ventilated area.

If interested, I have some custom 20 MOA rails for sale specifically made for the Tikka T3X TAC A1. Send a PM if interested. I apologize for the long winded post.

I decided to just leave the scope rail alone and won't be cerakoting it. I appreciate all the members' advice and help on my issue too.

I wrote to Beretta/Sako_Tikka and complained about an issue with the stock's QD mount. I thought others would be be interested in their responses.

Conaso - Tikka T3x TAC A1 Rifle - On the folding stock, Sako/Tikka placed the QD hole next to the hook-swivel. The design prevents the use of Quick Detach swivels without the QD swivel jamming against the hook loop, preventing free movement and damaging both the hook loop and swivel. Is their some way to remove the hook loop without breaking it or damaging the stock? Or, can Sakko/Tikka provide a QD male/female extender-adapter to place the QD swivel further out?

Tikka - This is the first we have heard of this issue. Could you send a photo of your set up so we can evaluate.

Conaso - You've received no complaints but they are out there being discussed in the forum. However, the quality of the A1 overwhelms such a minor issue that those carrying the weapon, and not only bench-shooting, are using the Magpul Paraclip or HK-style sling hook. Try it yourself and you will see what I mean.

Tikka - Thanks for the update and photos. We do not have a swivel extension at this time. I have made Tikka and product management aware of your findings. If a solution is provided I will pass the details on to you.
Hey Conaso, I just received my TAC A1. I am trying to figure out how to order and mount a QD (female) sling mount to my stock for my rear bag for quick attach-detachment. What would I need to order? I'm having a senior moment as to how a female attachment point would secure on to the stock. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

At no cost, for QD male sling swivel drill out the pin holding and remove the HK hook loop, otherwise it will hit.

For $15, Arisaka Defense Sopmod QD Socket at Opticsplanet.

For bag attachment I use a small polymer carabiner hooked into the bag strap and the HK loop on the stock.

I found a female adapter that attaches to the QD hole

Roger that, it helps when you have the nomenclature in order to do an internet search. I should make my signature moniker; Irish born and Irish bred, big in the arms and thick in the head!o_O

If you go with the Ariska I would look for some kind of spacer to limit the movement within the original QD hole.

Spacer? Huh! I ordered that very item last night from OpticsPlanet. Spacer for lateral or up and down movement?

Orbiting (?). I'm sure the screw is something like 1/4" diameter and the hole is maybe 3/8" diameter.