• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

G-shock or Garmin Tactix?

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
My Casio G-Shock DW-6600 just died after many years faithful service.

Just wondering what would be the best hard use grunt watch going around today?

I’m currently looking at Casio Pro Trek, Casio G Shock or Garmin Tactix, but open to any suggestions or recommendations.

Which Tactix? I have a Fenix 6 Sapphire which is almost identical to the Tactix Delta and I think it is a hell of a device.

I recently gave my son my G shock and went to a tactix Charlie and I love it. But without more info about what your wants and needs are. It hard to lead you in the right direction.

My Casio G-Shock DW-6600 just died after many years faithful service.

Just wondering what would be the best hard use grunt watch going around today?

I’m currently looking at Casio Pro Trek, Casio G Shock or Garmin Tactix, but open to any suggestions or recommendations.
Bertucci DX 3. Simple easy to read and bombproof

20191108_202310.jpg

Everywhere, every day. Even doing line work and farming. Still looks great.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll be doing general duties policing and part time grunt stuff, so need something durable.

I prefer something with a digital face as it is quicker to read.

The Garmin Tactix look great but are they as durable as G Shock?

I got the Garmin instinct for Christmas, and I don't worry about it whatsoever at work ( construction )

I have a Fenix 5 Sapphire and this thing has been rock solid through 5 deployments, 12 shooting comps a year, mountain biking, snowboarding, hiking, good with the landnav instruction and keeps decent track of golf (harder to get the hang of for golf).

Battery could be alot worse, love the band replacement ease.
Fenix 6 is the new model looks same has same features plus some new so i dont know how it could not be a good watch.

0ED56727-CC43-4B2C-AEFB-10AAC148796A.jpeg

Had a Garmin Tactix that died for no apparent reason after 2-3 years. Called up Garmin and it would cost $80 to repair it or I could buy a new one. Bought a G shock for $60 (granted, no fancy GPS or Bluetooth) and haven't looked back.

G-Shock,
It’s simple, it works, it’s not some fashion statement, it’s lightweight, it’s reliable, easy user interface, it’s cheap.

I have 2, one from 2008 that has been to Afghanistan twice and one from 2012.

Wear one or the other every single day. Never had a problem from either of them.

Reactions: Barryd and Mxridr
G shock just works every day. Probably 15+ years

Hey!!
I’m in BC, Canada. I have a Tactix Delta and I love it!! It’s pulled my ass out of a sling a few times. G shock gps doesn’t have maps. Tactix does. Example: like an idiot I took a new trail bowhunting and thought FER SHER I’d find the trailhead back to my vehicle. It got dark and for the life of me I couldn’t find the trailhead. Had I not had the actual maps I’d have had to walk down the mountain to the lake, follow the shoreline and hike back up to my rig… about 42 clicks in seriously shitty terrain. With my maps I was able to simply find the spot where I’d parked and I was out in fifteen minutes. Was I am idiot for not making my trailhead? Yes!! But shit happens. So I’m just saying that having an actually mapping gps is awesome!!! I’m sure the g shocks are way tougher but the Garmin is bomber. I wonder if the human survives in a situation where the Garmin doesn’t but the Casio does…

My two cents.

Retired law enforcement. Retired military. Cranky old guy.

I had a fenix 5 then upgraded to a fenix 7x sapphire solar, and I love this thing. Battery life is like 30 days, the flash light is very handy, the maps are easy to use, the amount of apps available is unreal. I can see myself getting a tactix 7 at some point as well. The only thing about the fenix, is that I worry about using it at work(carpenter), as I feel the screen would take a beating. I plan on getting an instinct 2x solar tactical soon, as it seems a bit more durable while maintaining a similar feature set.

Only issue I find with Garmin watches is they leave something to be desired if you use an iPhone.

I had a fenix 5 then upgraded to a fenix 7x sapphire solar, and I love this thing. Battery life is like 30 days, the flash light is very handy, the maps are easy to use, the amount of apps available is unreal. I can see myself getting a tactix 7 at some point as well. The only thing about the fenix, is that I worry about using it at work(carpenter), as I feel the screen would take a beating. I plan on getting an instinct 2x solar tactical soon, as it seems a bit more durable while maintaining a similar feature set.

Only issue I find with Garmin watches is they leave something to be desired if you use an iPhone.
Nobody should ever buy a watch without sapphire screens in todays day and age

The rest of the watch will be beat up AF but the screen will remain perfect with no scratches.

The Instinct series does not have sapphire glass on any of the models. It won't be more durable, in fact the opposite, for the screen anwyays

Nobody should ever buy a watch without sapphire screens in todays day and age

The rest of the watch will be beat up AF but the screen will remain perfect with no scratches.

The Instinct series does not have sapphire glass on any of the models. It won't be more durable, in fact the opposite, for the screen anyways
Great point, I was just thinking the bezel on the instinct proud of the screen, while on the fenix, the screen is almost flush to the bezel and more likely to take an impact or rub on things.

Hey!!
I’m in BC, Canada. I have a Tactix Delta and I love it!! It’s pulled my ass out of a sling a few times. G shock gps doesn’t have maps. Tactix does. Example: like an idiot I took a new trail bowhunting and thought FER SHER I’d find the trailhead back to my vehicle. It got dark and for the life of me I couldn’t find the trailhead. Had I not had the actual maps I’d have had to walk down the mountain to the lake, follow the shoreline and hike back up to my rig… about 42 clicks in seriously shitty terrain. With my maps I was able to simply find the spot where I’d parked and I was out in fifteen minutes. Was I am idiot for not making my trailhead? Yes!! But shit happens. So I’m just saying that having an actually mapping gps is awesome!!! I’m sure the g shocks are way tougher but the Garmin is bomber. I wonder if the human survives in a situation where the Garmin doesn’t but the Casio does…

My two cents.

Retired law enforcement. Retired military. Cranky old guy.
I sure hope the OP was able to make a decision by now. It’s only been almost four years!

the only thing i didn’t like about the sapphire glass on the tactix was it was super reflective like a mirror and the image on the watch itself was darker. i have the fenix 7 and the forerunner 965. im thinking about a 7X, but it’s big. while wearing it, you KNOW you have a watch on your wrist.