• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors G20 Destroying Brass

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
Using Hornady's 5th edition, I tested some loads using 10.2gr of IMR 800X for some 165gr fmj's, not a paticularly hot load, but when I sat down & shot off the bench, four out of ten pieces of brass got smashed between the slide & the barrel. I have shot hotter loads without this problem, & it only seems to occur when I'm sitting at the bench.

Re: G20 Destroying Brass

sound like a stove pipe FTE. Fix to this is hold the pistol with at firm grip.

Disregard if I got this wrong. Just going by what you said.

a warning with 800X... it meters like crap. i got some really light loads mixed in with my ammo. all the way from full gills 10mm, to ammo that wouldn't cycle the slide far enough to pick up the next round.

Charges are dispensed by my Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and all charges are perfect. I have been trying to catch this thing fail because my other Lyman went tits up, so Lyman charged me 150 bucks and replaced my old one with their updated model. This also happened with AA#9 & some Blue Dot. It must be the way I am holding the pistol supported at the bench.The groups, to me, look good (5 shots into 2inches @ 10yds. I am a newby pistol shooter, but been loading for & shooting accurate rifles for about 5 years. I assume shooting offhand means any shooting done without artificial support,at which I can turn in a 4" or 5" group @ 10yds. As stated before, the same loads shot offhand have not destroyed any brass.I will take care to use a firmer grip when testing for accuracy off the bench. Thanks.

Yep, just tighten the grip and all the problems will go away. As you stated, it only happened when you were supporting it with a bench and therefore not really holding the pistol. Good luck next time and good shooting.