• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors GA considers allowing hunting with suppressors

Stubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The Georgia legislature is considering legalizing hunting with suppressors: link. It's currently illegal to use suppressors for any kind of hunting.

—Andreas

Re: GA considers allowing hunting with suppressors

i was just talking to my local ffl about this yesterday. i live in cherokee county,ga but go to school in south ga.. i coyote hunt and would love to be able to use a supressor for predator hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would make me happy!!! </div></div>

+1

Texas need this also but good for GA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would make me happy!!! </div></div>
ditto

It's getting voted on in committee tomorrow: link.

—Andreas

I am interested in how this started to take effect? I have recently talked to the Ohio Division of Wildlife in regards to legalizing suppressors for hunting, at least certain species (coyote, woodchuck, boar). They advised me of two different options, either write a letter to the chief or attend a local meeting at the district headquarter to suggest the idea. Im not trying to hijack this thread just looking for some help and ideas to get the ball rolling in Ohio! Thanks for any and all help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update...whats the word </div></div>Would also like to know this ^

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I could have had a lot of people I know send emails out. Not to mention pm'ing it to every member I can find from Georgia.

Thanks for the post, I hope it happens.

Found this information on Senate Bill 301 from today's session.

Senate Natural Resources and the Environment Committee
SB 301- Hunting; authorize the use of silencers on hunting firearms under certain circumstances
SB 301 amends Part 1 of Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions regarding hunting, so as to authorize the use of silencers on hunting firearms under certain circumstances. Hunting on another’s property without permission, or hunting on restricted lands, with a silencer will result in a 3-year suspension of the offenders hunting license and up to a $2,000.00 fine for the first offense.
SB 301 received a DO PASS by COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE from the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee.

I so hope they allow this. I will move back to Georgia if they do.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhead7416</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found this information on Senate Bill 301 from today's session.

Senate Natural Resources and the Environment Committee
SB 301- Hunting; authorize the use of silencers on hunting firearms under certain circumstances
SB 301 amends Part 1 of Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 27 of the O.C.G.A., relating to general provisions regarding hunting, so as to authorize the use of silencers on hunting firearms under certain circumstances. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #CC0000">Hunting on another’s property without permission, or hunting on restricted lands, with a silencer will result in a 3-year suspension of the offenders hunting license and up to a $2,000.00 fine for the first offense.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">SB 301 received a DO PASS by COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE from the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee. </span></div></div>

The red portion might help deter some suppressed poaching.

About the bold black part. Does that mean it goes down the line or does that mean it passed and we will be able to hunt with suppressors?

To my understanding ,it proceeds to the floor to be voted on. If it passes senate /hse then gov sighns or just lets it become law.

I did a little reading on it last night and thats what i got out of it

Awesome!! I like the new language too. I'd imagine that will help it pick up a few more votes on the floor.

I got an Email from the NRA the day before the Senate committee vote. Following this closely here in Georgia!

This is great news for us in AL, as we usually follow suit on neighboring states hunting laws.
Now this, along with taking the firearm status away from suppressors and lowering the cost of registration, would be utopia.

From what I read, it sounds like "certain circumstances" may involve the use of a suppressor when hunting hogs specifically. The sponsor of SB 301, Sen. John Bulloch, "was asked by sheriffs to introduce the bill to help cut down the noise complaints of hunters blasting away at a feral hog population that Bulloch described as "a growing problem"."

Passed the Senate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smirker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Passed the Senate! </div></div>
Where did you find this? An article on the NRA-ILA's site that just went up today only made mention of it being passed by the Senate Natural Resources and the Environment Committee.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7290

I can't find any confirmation on the Senate having passed it yet.

This is good news. I figured the bill's support/sponsor was geared to night time hog hunting, but will beneficial for some coyote hunting at night too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cds7221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish we could game hunt in LA. </div></div>

I second this, the bs about us being able to only use them during spring and summer is disappointing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhead7416</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is good news. I figured the bill's support/sponsor was geared to night time hog hunting, but will beneficial for some coyote hunting at night too. </div></div>Very beneficial to land/game managers also. Less impact, easier to thin herds without pressuring them as bad. It doesn't have to be at night either. Less pressure on the game you hunt also due to not really knowing the direction and the shots not being as loud. I can't think of any time where less noise is not beneficial. It would be really cool if this passes. If it does I will be filling out my form as soon as I can.

As Mike308bell stated, the bill has now passed the Senate committee and will go before the full Senate for a vote. If it passes there it will move on to the House.

It would be nice if it passes.

So how long does it usually take for a bill that's been passed by the senate committee, to go before the full senate and if passed there, the house?

Fingers crossed. Just need to sneak it passed the hippy-crats and it's home free.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the major suppressor companies we have in GA? I hope it passes and have called and sent letters to both house and senate members.

Mike

Bill passed the senate today 48-5!

Now to get it through the house and the Governers signature.

All approved!! This is for Hog Hunting which means a 365-24/7 hunting season in Georgia.

Kenv

ATLANTA (AP) -
The Georgia Senate has approved legislation that would end the ban on silencers for hunting firearms.

Senate Bill 301 was approved by a vote of 48-5. Sen. John Bulloch, the bill's sponsor, says allowing hunters to use silencers would keep them from disturbing their neighbors, and removing the ban would not create an unfair advantage for hunters. Hunters would still need a federal permit to possess a silencer.

Bulloch says the legislation was brought to him by the National Rifle Association. The NRA successfully pushed for similar legislation last year in Kansas, Louisiana and Washington, and supports legalizing silencers in all 50 states.

Silencers are legal to possess and use for lawful purposes in most states, but require a federal permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Suppressor sales will go through the roof,,, that will not help Form 4 times...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kenv50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All approved!! This is for Hog Hunting which means a 365-24/7 hunting season in Georgia.
</div></div>
This bill has been presented almost exclusively regarding the hunting of feral hogs, but I still can't find anything that states conclusively that suppressors may <span style="text-decoration: underline">only</span> be used on hogs. The amendment to the bill states "Any firearm otherwise authorized for use in the hunting or taking of game may be equipped with a silencer". Hopefully there won't be any further stipulation added that would restrict their specific application.

A friend of mine approached me and asked me about sb301.i said how do you know about 301.he said moby a dj www.mobyinthemorning.com on the radio was sayin how he couldn't believe its even being voted on and how crazy it is.how people shouldnt have them and such. I said they arent silent its like a muffler and its perfect for a hunting situation when your not wearing ear pro and have to take a shot.its aggrivating when a dj spouts off about something they know nothing about. Especially one that. "Claims" to be pro gun.anyway thought some of my fellow ga boys would be interested to hear.

Next season surefire can and subsonic deer slaying

I live in Cherokee County and hunt deer, hog, and coyote. This would be awesome. Now I just need a can and barrel threading...

funny you mention Moby...
I was listening to his broadcast when he made the statments.
Contacted him via email. We exchanged several emails through the day & he couldn't give me a firm reason why he was against it, just that he was against it.
Next MAPES ball, if he is the MC this year, i'll have to give him a hand shake and an ear full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine approached me and asked me about sb301.i said how do you know about 301.he said moby a dj www.mobyinthemorning.com on the radio was sayin how he couldn't believe its even being voted on and how crazy it is.how people shouldnt have them and such. I said they arent silent its like a muffler and its perfect for a hunting situation when your not wearing ear pro and have to take a shot.its aggrivating when a dj spouts off about something they know nothing about. Especially one that. "Claims" to be pro gun.anyway thought some of my fellow ga boys would be interested to hear. </div></div>

I liked mobey till now. And I thought he was for guns and hunting,

I hope we can hunt this comeing season with cans. It will be so nice.

Wow I can't believe I missed that comment. We listen to that show on the way to work. Thanks for posting that. We all should let him know what we think of that comment.

This is all good news. Ask our friends the Brits why they have easy access to suppressors and poor access to certain types of firearms. Poachers...are going to poach...and I bet many they catch WON'T be using suppressors. It's 2012...I like hearing this kind of news. Common sense prevailing...in not so common sense times.

Following this thread closely. Any update?

Also, know of reputable companies or smiths in SW GA? I prefer to hand deliver and meet face to face. I'm not picky about the type of can, but want the mating to be as precise as possible. I'm looking for a light weight can for a 300WM, possibly titanium but doesn't have to be. My crap-top has been running slow lately so my search is slow and frustrating. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Thanks. Hogs are getting smarter down here. Time to step it up a notch.

Just took a read in GA General Assembly site and appears SB301 is still in the House and has had 2nd read. Noticed Senate had 3rd read before it passed Senate. Don't know procedure and if House would pass on third read. I hope so! Then it will have to go to Gov. Deal for his sig, or he can just let it become law without his sig. I have no idea how long that would take. I suggest you call your GA House Rep and ask for them to pass it when it comes to a vote.