• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GA precision

Crowbag

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
PA
are GA precision rifles worth the cost and wait? And what would they be comparable to?

They’re good. It’s never worth the wait. Check out Moon over at Crescent Customs he use to build for GAP. Give Jon Beanland a call too. Or buy one of many off the rack rifles.

I shoot a GAP in 7WSM and it’s a hammer. Took over a year to get it built. That was the shitty part.

They’re good. It’s never worth the wait. Check out Moon over at Crescent Customs he use to build for GAP. Give Jon Beanland a call too. Or buy one of many off the rack rifles.
I have a bergara HMR 6.5 creedmoor, it is a very good rifle and I’ve shot lots of 308 bolt rifles. I’ve seen a GAP rifle up close and I especially like that one piece rail and action, and I’d like to find something like a GAP rifle that I might not have to wait a year for. Thanks for the info, I’ll reach out to them both.

There are lots of custom rifle builders. GAP had a strong following and that helps it hold its value on the used market.

That said I drank the coolaid and ordered one. I was pretty unimpressed for the money and wait. And have since moved on. I have a few rifles built by LRI and would definitely buy another from them before waiting for a GAP again.

But back to your question. Terry Cross, Crescent Customs, TacOps, LRI, Altus, Dave Tooley, SAC all would make you a nice rifle. Decide your budget and call around for lead times.

There are lots of custom rifle builders. GAP had a strong following and that helps it hold its value on the used market.

That said I drank the coolaid and ordered one. I was pretty unimpressed for the money and wait. And have since moved on. I have a few rifles built by LRI and would definitely buy another from them before waiting for a GAP again.

But back to your question. Terry Cross, Crescent Customs, TacOps, LRI, Altus, Dave Tooley, SAC all would make you a nice rifle. Decide your budget and call around for lead times.
Thanks, this is helpful.

TacOps is the gold standard R700 but that wait time…

Reactions: toader and jbuck88
I ordered a GA Precision rifle 10/21. The quote was 8 months and it took 9. This is my first custom bolt gun. It was worth the money to me. Absolutely no complaints at all but of course would have preferred a shorter wait time. The price for the model I bought, GAP Team model, has increased rather significantly. Still, I am happy with the purchase.

Reactions: Fig and Crowbag
I have 2 GAPs in my stable including the M40a1 I had built last year. Both are fantastic in every way.

Reactions: Crowbag
Only you can answer if it's worth it. Of the customs I've had built, there is a quality and workmanship that is evident quality when looking at bedding and machine work. However, with the industry moving to chassis systems, bedding blocks and prefit barrels today, I'm more inclined to order the parts and screw the barrel on myself. On my builds, I waited over a year for them. I'm not getting any younger.

I bought mine lightly used from a local guy here on the hide, so only had to wait a day or 2 to meet up with him.

But yeah, it's a damn nice rifle. I've changed everything except the barreled action, so I doubt the original owner would even recognize it.

No

I have a rifle, with a stock and a chassis, 3 prefits, and a scope for less than a similar rifle with 1 barrel and stock from GA.

All shoot just under or at .5 MOA with easy load development.

For me it’s a yes. I’ve had a few over the years and had house fire a few years ago. Called George and had one super quick for the hunting season that was about to start. The other replacements went into the normal queue. I support those that have supported me.

There are a number of great gunsmiths with good reputations that are active here on the hide. I believe any one of them would do a fantastic job for you. When I win the lotto I will have an example from each.

Where Can I see these?

Can always look at their rifles ready to ship page and if you find one that is along the lines you're looking for, trip the trigger and get it quickly. I've bought a couple off that page and had them do minor things like chopping the barrel, etc.. and it was about a 2 week timeframe for them to make modifications to rifles ready to ship.

Is it worth it? That is in the eye of the beholder.

For example I have two custom tactical rifles

One is in an HS precision stock with trued Remington 700. Adjusted Remington trigger BDL bottom metal and it shoots 1/4 moa all day long with Hart barrel.

I have a similar rifle but with a Surgeon action, KMW sentinel stock and bottom metal, jewel trigger. Easily 2k difference in the two rifles and it will shoot 1/4 MOA all day with Krieger barrel.

So the question is only one you can answer. A lot of guys buy their barrels and components from bugholes or atlus for a markup because the wait is longer then they want and they don't mind paying a little more for something faster. It is entirely up to you.

I have a 6 Creedmoor GAP PPR with defiance tenacity/gladius that I am very happy with and I think was a hell of a value for a rifle at $2500. GAP certainly makes great rifles but so do the other builders listed above. When buying a GAP you are partially paying for the name which does help your resale value. Like Rolex, Harley Davidson or flying first class it is up to you.

Last edited:
Or. There is still time to get in on the collab with TacOps and Terry Cross.
That cost $8,500
I am no GA fan boy but have one of their rifles and it shoots wonderful, could I have the same parts put together by my local competent gun smith and have the same results for a bit less? Probably.

That cost $8,500
I am no GA fan boy but have one of their rifles and it shoots wonderful, could I have the same parts put together by my local competent gun smith and have the same results for a bit less? Probably.

Sure. You are well into diminishing returns at $8,500. Your local smith will most definitely be able to assemble those parts into a fully functioning rifle. Next time you see him ask if he will guarantee ¼" groups?

The same diminishing returns applies to almost every aspect of your life.

Sure. You are well into diminishing returns at $8,500. Your local smith will most definitely be able to assemble those parts into a fully functioning rifle. Next time you see him ask if he will guarantee ¼" groups?

The same diminishing returns applies to almost every aspect of your life.

100% I tell people all the time about diminishing returns, just depends on how deep you want to go...

Key word is competent, I am fortunate to have one, most do not. My guy does not "guarantee" anything but has done better then that, and for $8,500 he probably would. Check him out, or if anyone needs another good one. Heck I could be wrong... https://www.precisionbarrelwork.com/

But to stay on topic, I think GA Rifles are worth it, there are many other companies that are more expensive. As jbuck said its all about how far you want to take it...

• Haha
Reactions: Nik H and Crowbag
I have two GAP rifles. Sold my 3rd which I regret. As stated before they had/have a strong following. They make great rifles BUT their are plenty of gunsmiths these days that can build quality rifles. Would I wait a year to have another one built. Probably not if I can have the same rifle built with same accuracy guarantee quicker.

I shot a GAP Rock this weekend that my buddy has. It makes me hate my FN. My rifle is a hammer, his is a laser. Literally I watched a 3 shot groups form when checking zero that was one hole.
For me it's worth it. Partially cause their shop is 60 minutes from my door.
Last I called they quoted 4 weeks if I supplied the parts.

I shot a GAP Rock this weekend that my buddy has. It makes me hate my FN. My rifle is a hammer, his is a laser. Literally I watched a 3 shot groups form when checking zero that was one hole.
For me it's worth it. Partially cause their shop is 60 minutes from my door.
Last I called they quoted 4 weeks if I supplied the parts.
A friend of mine got his build back from GAP last week, it took 11 months.

Where Can I see these?
Call Mike and talk to him about what you want. He'll fill you in

As far as other claims...they are other claims. Mike has a professional following and his sticks are consistent hammers. Consistent being the key word. They are no more expensive than my AIs which are another animal entirely.

The talk with Mike will be worth it even if you don't buy one of his rifles. He talked me into my first AI due to me being LH.

Stand up guy that loves the craft

Hint

Last edited:
I think I'm going to look at the same time for a used AI and GA Precision and see what happens. I spoke to my friend who got is GA a few weeks ago and he said he waited 10-11 months and he was told wait time is now up to 13 months. That might not be true but that's a life changing length of time to wait.

Waiting on parts is going to be the vast majority of the wait. Last couple times I have contacted GAP they spun up barrels for me in 2-3 months once they had the barrel in stock and last time I sent in the barrel. All the rifles I have gotten from them have been absolute hammers. Never had any issues with George and crew. They made sure what I was going to be shooting and chambered my rifles to what I wanted to do.

TacOps is the gold standard R700 but that wait time…
This is what I see when I click on a link on their website, I cannot see any rifles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 2.07.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 2.07.15 PM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 54

This is what I see when I click on a link on their website, I cannot see any rifles.
Tac ops website is for some articles. Not for advertising, Tac Ops is by word of mouth. Mikes number is in the KMW thread so just call that number and leave a message he will call you back.
310-275-8797

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
@MikeRTacOps

Shoot him a PM and he will give you his number. He's an excellent guy to deal with.

That is 100% correct George has platforms ready to ship :)

Mike R.

are GA precision rifles worth the cost and wait? And what would they be comparable to?
I’ve had the pleasure of owning 3 Crusaders from GAP and I’ve never been able to come anywhere near the accuracy. To be straightforward, it’ll outshoot you. Best rifles ever. Only rifle to come close was a Custom built Surgeon.

Where in Pa are you? If you are close you are more then welcome to come look and shoot my TacOps Delta51.

Last edited:
This isn’t too much more than a done up GAP is it?