• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gaffing

Re: Gaffing

You don't necessarily need to lock your knees. Are you in school, apprenticeship, on the job training?

Job training. The instructors keep telling the class to lock their knees. My joints hyper extend and are loosey goosey. On the way down I try my best to keep them locked but they simply bend too far and kinda buckle causing a fall. This kinda sucks because the actual job does not require this. Every thing can be done by ladder.

You are a lucky man. I work in communications and have been trying to get into power linework for 3 years. It's not natural to climb poles, it will take awhile for your muscles to get used to it. I would recommend taking smaller steps up and down. Make sure you shift your weight over for each step. I always stare at the point of each gaf everytime I kick into the pole, why I don't know but it works for me. Are they teaching you to free climb, or do you use your pole strap all the time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you aren't talking about the #2 definition in the Urban Dictionary. </div></div> You hit the nail on the fucking head it is #2 for sure
laugh.gif

Then that means you take the strap off and climb down without it then also. Must be either telephone or cable tv work then. All you have to do is pass the class, don't quit. Take your time going up, don't tire yourself. I wear my belt right at my hips, and when i strap in it takes a lot of strain off my legs. It's kinda like a seat to me. My gafs are only about 6 inches apart or less, and I only take small steps of 6 inches or so. When you are just starting out its all awkward, try to be slow and fluid. It also helps to be on the fattest and softest pole too, although if you kick into the pole hard it can be a bear to pull your gaf back out.

Thanks for the post alibi. Ive been contracted for this kinda work for 7 years now and never needed to gaf. Got an offer I couldn't refuse from the company and now I'm wondering if I made the right choice. I don't plan on giving up just yet but certification is this monday and its done without safety tether. So if I don't find a solution to this knee thing I probably won't have a choice.

I must also add that it's a whole lot easier to carry 8lbs of gaf, instead of 80lbs of ladder. If you learn to like climbing, your ladder will rarely leave the truck.

If you can, bring a set of hooks home with you and climb a few poles in the backyard. Get some more practice and build confidence. I worked telephone repair for 8 years, and the last 3 I've been doing telephone constuction. Back in 2000 they didn't use a tether system to learn with. It was either sink or swim.

When climbing down I don't lock them either.
When in working position thats a different story.

What you may need to do is get your legs in shape by doing squats or lunges with some reps and weight eventually to build stamina.

If you climbed every day this would be no prob.

The system that I work is about 90% UG, so I'm no hero.

Focus on being smooth and deliberate and deffinatlly don't quit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone experienced? Im having trouble locking my knees while they support my weight. Any suggestions other than give up? </div></div>

Invest in a bucket truck
grin.gif
. If that aint an option just remember one thing....If the pole slabs out for christ sake dont grab it...take the fall. Its better than having a bunch of pine wood shoved under your ribcage and possibly through your heart. When I first started climbing they showed us a photo of a guy hanging there like that...dead as a door nail, and a ton of blood running down the pole. Not pretty. I always remembered that one. BE CAREFUL.

I agree with exercise, practice, and not giving up. Once you get in shape for it, theres nothing to it. Also, when i first started, my legs would give out so i would have to double wrap my tether when i got positioned so i could take breaks and just hang a minute.

Trained for it as a Railway Power Lineman, and as a USMC Engineer Electrician.

Hated it.

Turned out that in real life, it was a skill I very seldom actually needed.

I think the solution is to treat it as a joint problem and go after the hyperextension issue. Perhaps some form of external knee brace could limit the hyperextension.

Warning, pole gaffs and tree gaffs are very different beasts. Tree gaffs are considerably longer, to pierce through treacherous bark and bite into the solid wood underneath. Using pole gaffs on trees is an invitation to unintentionally gaffing out.

Greg

Got Certified today. No issues! Discovered little tricks here and there to keep from gaffing out. Thanks for all the feedback guys.