• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP-10 Accuracy Expectations

buggsb

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
S. California
I've had my GAP-10 for a couple years now but haven't had much of a chance to really wring it out, other than zeroing and a couple range sessions. Last year I took it to a sniper school with the intention of really giving it some "quality time". Accuracy was decent in that it maintained 1 MOA for the most part, however by the beginning of TD2 I was having frequent failures to eject (with FGMM 168's), with expended cases bouncing back into the chamber. I contacted George and he and his team did a great job turning it around and resolving the issue.

A couple weeks ago I took it to another school with the intent, once again, to give it some dedicated quality time. It ran great, with no function problems at all, but accuracy left a little to be desired. It would occasionally have some decent sub-MOA groups, but they were the exception rather than the rule, with most running a tad over that. Conditions were great, sunny with temps in the low 80's and mild, zero value winds, so I can't blame weather or wind.

I was just wondering how this stacks up to the results you guys have had with your GAP-10's and whether or not I have something that is worth contacting GAP about...or if this is the norm and I need to learn to live with it.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Some shot group photos would go a long way, but even then there could be any number of factors from ammo to the shooter(no offense intended).

All fair questions so far. I'm out of the country at the moment but I'll have to post some pics of the targets I pulled from class.

As for experience I certainly wouldn't rule out the nut behind the trigger for sure and I don't have "a lot" of time behind .308 gas guns, but I have been a precision rifle and LE sniper instructor for quite a few years, so I'm not quite a novice either.

The NF scope and mount have been verified to be torqued and secure. Ammo is factory FGMM 168 and is not optional. We will be transitioning to TAP 168's which may improve things, but it's rare to see a high-end rifle that won't shoot the FGMM's at least reasonably well.

That is not the Norm for GAP-10 rifles, Personally I have never seen a GAP-10 that wouldn't shoot .50 moa or better @ 100 yards with the right person behind the trigger. I would do some investigating first making sure everything is tightened and use LockTite where applicable. Then if you don't reload I would try a variety of 168gr, 175gr Match Grade bullets.

Let someone with more time behind a .308 Gasser shoot it and see how they do. Mine shoots ragged holes with a good rifleman behind it. I occasionally get a group like that, but I still need a lot of work. I have many 3/4" groups and am sure with more practice will continue to shrink them. Shooting a gasser is not as easy a bolt gun, lots more going on. Also I could use some glasses I think. If you really want some quality match ammo try the Asym 175 grain. It's phenomenally accurate.

While I appreciate the advice on various loads which may be more accurate, I reiterate that the choice of ammunition is not optional. It'll be FGMM 168's until I get issued TAP 168's...no other flavors.

While I appreciate the advice on various loads which may be more accurate, I reiterate that the choice of ammunition is not optional. It'll be FGMM 168's until I get issued TAP 168's...no other flavors.

I only have 100 rounds through my GAP-10 so far, but the most accurate load has been FGMM 168s. The four five-shot groups with FGMM 168s averaged right at .5 MOA. Nothing subsequent has shot quite as well, including Lapua 167s and 185s, but I need lots of work as a shooter. I'll try FGMM 175s and Hornady AMAX 168s next time I'm out. Good luck and keep us informed, especially of any feedback you get from GAP if you contact them.

Then all you can do is work on your technique. If you're restricted to factory match ammo, there's nowhere to go on the ammo front.

All fair questions so far. I'm out of the country at the moment but I'll have to post some pics of the targets I pulled from class.

As for experience I certainly wouldn't rule out the nut behind the trigger for sure and I don't have "a lot" of time behind .308 gas guns, but I have been a precision rifle and LE sniper instructor for quite a few years, so I'm not quite a novice either.

The NF scope and mount have been verified to be torqued and secure. Ammo is factory FGMM 168 and is not optional. We will be transitioning to TAP 168's which may improve things, but it's rare to see a high-end rifle that won't shoot the FGMM's at least reasonably well.

There was some issues with some lots of FGMM 168 and it may just be the lot of ammo. Are you cleaning the barrel after every range trip?

GAP 10 accuracy expectations

Hey man. Here's 5 rounds of 175 grain SMK Factory Federal Ammo. There are 4 rounds on the right and one on the left. I fired 4x5 shot groups and they were never over .5 MOA... the best being .3 MOA. Ive not found anything it wont shoot if you do your job. The one outside the group was the fifth shot and my fault ;)

My 20" GAP10 in .308 has just a touch over 500 rounds through it now. If I'm having a good day and work my ass off I can get it into the .5's Average day, less than ideal conditions, etc... it's a .75 moa gun with me behind it. Mine does favor the 168's slightly over the 175's, BUT I've always run the 175's as I feel they do a bit better in the wind.

With myself driving it, I've never seen the gilded accuracy "one ragged hole" groups. I can do it with a couple of my bolt guns, but not the gasser.

NF F1, Atlas bipod, Magpul PRS, and as mentioned above, 20" with a Badger Thruster brake.

This is a .260 Rem AR10 I had GAP build for me before the GAP-10 was developed. Upper left target is the first group I shot with it with that bullet/powder combo, from which point it started tightening as you can see.

It shoots the 130gr VLD into bug holes with H4350, and I recently loaded it up with some 129gr SST's just to see what would happen. I was POI for POA based on guesstimated dope at 400yds, and proceeded to blast boomers one after the other at that distance with ease (small explosive targets that are just a few inches in size, in shifting wind conditions). This is my most accurate rifle. I only hand load for it, and would love a gas-gun friendly .260 Rem load with 130gr. That bottom left group is one of the worst ones. The first group I shot with it was .75" at night, in a hurry to find a load for an international sniper competition.

Last edited:
Best4outof5shots-Copy_zpse887c446.jpg

Note the only shot "out" is a cold clean bore round... fabulous light wind conditions, and a tuned handload for this barrel.

Rifle now has 340 logged rounds and is 100% feed and function with correctly sized brass and properly pressured rounds. 42.4 grains of IMR 4895 and a 175 SMK with Winchester brass and Federal 210 primers at a COL of 2.790" average. MV is 2560 SD's run in the 12 area.

GapInspectionassembly019_zps7aaade3b.jpg

Last edited: