• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

GAP-10 Match Rifle Idea!!!! 6mm Creedmoor

Re: GAP-10 Match Rifle Idea!!!!

"The new Hornady 105 BTHP match bullet has a BC of .535."

Is that confirmed BC or advertised? Makes me rethink the 115 DTAC's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The new Hornady 105 BTHP match bullet has a BC of .535."

Is that confirmed BC or advertised? Makes me rethink the 115 DTAC's. </div></div>

Why? Isn't the bc of the DTAC like .585 or something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seuss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broad question and a bit early but anyone wager a guess on barrel life for this? </div></div>

Barrels are like Truck tires.. wear them out and replace them. part of the game...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George or Zmann,
What height cheek riser is that on that CTR? </div></div>

It is a Larue RISR (Reciprocating Inline Stock Riser) ...see here:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-risr-reciprocating-inline-stock-riser </div></div>

Very cool... I had not seen that. Thanks!

I'll have to ask George next time I see him. I got talked into building a bolt gun since I already have a AR10.

Im waiting on my rebarrel of Badger M2008 in this 6CM. It is going to be an interesting caliber to shoot.

well f. just ran into this. I was planning on buying a 6.5CM on the GAP10 platform. Mainly so I would be able to use the same 123gr 6.5mm bullets between that and the grendel.

So if im understanding this correctly, you have the BC of the 6.5CM and an even higher FPS. damn. wheres the bad parts? what am i missing, other than you need to load your own ammo.

McCourt Munitions has 6 CM ammo avaialable loaded specifically for the GAP-10.
Ammo has been tested by GAP in GAP-10 rifle.

FCS, can you provide any more information? What sort of components and load? Give us some details.

Hornady 6.5CM brass necked to 6CM
GM210M
H4350
Hornady 105 BTHP w/AMP jacket

Initial run may only be with 105s.

I'm working on price for a larger order. Meaning if there are orders for several thousand rounds, I can get price lower. I'm away from the shop until Monday, will get pricing based on different volumes no later then Tuesday 15 November.

Guys
Andrew at McCourt Munitions has his game face on with this ammo. He is sending me my ladder test group this week to fire in my GAP built Badger M2008 bolt gun. I expect it to be a hammer!

If you need ammo, give him a call.

Gas gun load has been confirmed by GAP.
Adam is going to confirm load for bolt gun ammo.

"Production" ammo is pretty much a full custom load based on data from GAP/KYS338.

Anybody have an estimated barrel life on a gas gun?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McCourt Munitions has 6 CM ammo avaialable loaded specifically for the GAP-10.
Ammo has been tested by GAP in GAP-10 rifle. </div></div>

That sounds great, I need to have an upper made!

As promised, here is pricing for 6 CM ammo using 105 Hornady BTHP w/AMP jacket.

I need hard commitment for ammo (meaning 50% down, balance sent in for ammo to ship) I can do the following pricing.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">1K rds $2.09/rd</span>
2K rds $2.03/rd I've got hard commitment for 2K rds, currently at 2.03/rd as of 1500 hrs Mountain time on 15 Nov. 2011
3K rds $1.98/rd
4K rds $1.95/rd

Above pricing is for 105 BTHP only, I still need to do some figuring for 115 DTACs. When I called last week to check on availability, was several weeks to get DTACs.

Prices above do not include shipping, actual shipping cost will be charged.

Guys,

Andrew knows his ammo loading. He is doing my 6CM for me..... I will post the review and results when I can conclude the latter test. We have had 3" of rain to contend with in the past couple days.

Based on brass cost
i would do a 6-250 and lapua brass the diff is less than $5 x100
simple neck up
or maybe
blow body
or full AI

GAP106CM003.jpg

Here you go boys.....I cant wait to start burning powder with this bad boy.

George, thanks bro!
GAP106CM002.jpg

SSSHHH! There's an elk sneaking up behind you...

6 Creedmoor is the shiz! I was making solid hits out to 1100 yards this past weekend with it. It shot very flat and the 105's hit with more authority then I thought they would.

I am very pleased with the rifle from GAP and the ammo from McCourt Munitions!

10-12 guys are now shooting the 6mm Creedmoor, Bryan Yeung (Team GAP) has been shooting it in the big LR precision Matches and has placed very well with it. Pat (PGS) is shooting one up in the brutal cold of Glascow, Montana on Coyotes and LR steel Vermin. Im continuing to tweek my loadings here but all things point to this being the best combination for a lights out long range semi auto combination.

Hornady is making Dies available as customs curently, I have 20 Standard sets coming with a VLD (Amax) seating stem. they will be arround $80 or so a set

McCort Munitions is making Brass and Loading Ammo

CopperCreek is also preparing to make ammo and brass.

Hornady is real close to pulling the trigger on comercial properly headstamped brass as well. Ill post that info as its official.

H 4350 seems to be the Anwser for Powder, 41.8 gr and a 105 grainer is a great load seated .020 off the lands for the GAP-10 and our chamber.

H 4831 SC may be another to play with for a little more Vel.

Several others are getting rifles soon so more data to come.

6CM, 6XC, 6-250, 6-6.5x47, 6SLR
They all do pert much same thing, thou there some things to consider.
The cheapest of bunch with decent brass and largest case capacity
6SLR, made from 243win brass, no fire forming

6CM based on price of 6.5cm $61 x100
Norma 6XC $69 x100 also rated @ 65k psi
Basically these 2 are twins which would you rather use hornady or Norma brass? diff is $8 ... NORMA all the way

6.5x47 $105 x100, great case but lapua is killing this round with this pricing

lapua 22-250 $62 x100, simple neck up, will push a 105gr bullet to 3kfps from a 20" via RE17
And here we have the logical winner
Lapua brass, rated to 65k PSI, slightly reduced case capacity translates to longer throat life.
Still meets performance goals 3000fps from 20" barrel, simple neck up. Run n gun use Win 22-250 cheap n plentiful
failing that run a 6xc, Norma brass will always be better than hornady and for a $8 diff that just makes sense

6CM well its not the worst idea i have heard lately, but it for sure is not the holy grail you guys are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the estimated barrel life? </div></div>

Probably 2k for competition on paper.

Other than a lighter bullet, and therefore higher velocity, what would the advantages of this cartridge be over a 6.5mm? I'll admit to having a preference for a bullets with a bit more mass for real long range shooting, but that gets into a sort of Ford vs Chevy argument when comparing to light bullets with higher velocity. The recoil difference isn't all that great between a 6mm 115 grain bullet at 3000-3050 FPS vs a 6.5mm 123 scenar at 2900-2950 FPS.

Although all barrels eventually wear out, I would think that a high velocity 6mm would wear out considerably faster than a moderately high velocity 6.5mm barrel.

I suspect that the barrel wear question will be a controversial topic unless someone has true research to demonstrate how long comparable barrels last.
Research on this issue would be pretty expensive when considering building 2 similar new rifles, using as similar of components as possible, and the ammo to shoot both until a pre-determined accuracy decrease is observed.

But any new toy/tool is fun to play with while waiting for the barrel to wear out. I'm on the 4th barrel in my 300 Win mag...fortunately, #5 is already in the vault waiting to be mounted when #4 dies.

Of course ya could just run a SLR
based on 243 brass no fireforming, several reamers with correct OAL for sub 2.8 bullet config with 105AMAX
easier solution

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course ya could just run a SLR
based on 243 brass no fireforming, several reamers with correct OAL for sub 2.8 bullet config with 105AMAX
easier solution</div></div>

No need to fire form. Just get ahold of Copper Creek Cartridge Co.!!!

No fire forming means shoulder is pushed back vs blown forward via fire forming

Reloading = do it your self

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why won't 243 work in the mag? </div></div>

It will work but you have to shove the bullet way past the neck/shoulder juntion. Badd Ju Ju </div></div>

What is so bad about the base of the bullet below the neck/shoulder junction? The reason I ask is that I have a 243 bolt gun shooting 105 amax's at O.A.L. of 2.760" so the base is about .050" below the junction and it groups .250" at 100 yards.

Here is mine. I have already shot 14 coyotes with it in the past 3 weekends and plan to shoot some more with it over the next month and then it moves on to its long range precision role. This rifle is just outstanding in every single way.

GAP10_RS.jpg

GAP10_LS.jpg

^^^^^ Who did the paint job!? Nice.

Nevermind, I just clicked on your link.
smile.gif

Re: GAP-10 Match Rifle Idea!!!! 6mm Creedmoor

George, what are you going to price the uppers at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Range trip went well. Predicted Numbers fell into place.

Temp 81 Deg, 5 mph wind from 1100 o clock

Best Hornady 105 load was 42.5 gr H4350 Avg Vel 3070 ES 15 SD 7

Best 115 Dtac Load was 41.5 gr H4350 Avg Vel 2964 ES 8 SD 4

23" Bartlein 1- 7.7 twist barrel

the 115 load still had a little primer cratering. nothing bad and there were no failiures at all over 80 rounds.

I shot 5 random groups of three all were different load combinations average groups were 1/2 MOA or better

Next step it to take these loads from 100 to 1000 and post results. the 105 load should be 7.2 to 1000 and the 115 load should be 7.4 to 1000 both with a 1.5 Mil holdoff for a 10MPH full value wind. This is absolutly awesome for a 23" gas rifle. This puts it near equal to a 25" 7mm WSM shooting 180 VLD's

398859604.jpg

398859603.jpg
</div></div>

George...in this post you said the twist was 1-7.7. In another post you said it was 8.5.
Which is correct?