• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP-10 Match Rifle Idea!!!! 6mm Creedmoor

Re: GAP-10 Match Rifle Idea!!!! 6mm Creedmoor

Placed an order this week, not time to seat and wait.grrrrr

OK guys, I'm tagging this for some info on bullet selection. I have the 6 mm CM on order and have quite a wait ahead of me but I'm good with it.

What I'm trying to decide is to go with the 105 Honady BTHP or the 105 Berger Hybrid. I would like to here back from those that have have shot both and now decided on one or the other and why. I know that there is a $ 10 difference but thats not my concern. In addition to just shooting paper, I will hunt with this rifle. Coyotes, deer and antelope.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platapus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, I'm tagging this for some info on bullet selection. I have the 6 mm CM on order and have quite a wait ahead of me but I'm good with it.

What I'm trying to decide is to go with the 105 Honady BTHP or the 105 Berger Hybrid. I would like to here back from those that have have shot both and now decided on one or the other and why. I know that there is a $ 10 difference but thats not my concern. In addition to just shooting paper, I will hunt with this rifle. Coyotes, deer and antelope.

Thanks </div></div>

Wondering the same thing myself! Got a 6 Creed on order.

I looked in the reloading threads and there just isn't the info I would expect with the popularity of the cartridge. Hopefully someone will see this thread resurrected and give some insight.

I've been shooting the Hornady's ever since I got my 6 Creed. I just bought a box of the Berger hybrids to try out and am hoping to shoot them this weekend, so I'll try to remember to report back then.

It seems like most of the guys shooting the "major" competitions are using the Berger bullets as the bullets offer a better BC value over the Hornacy's, and thus give them a slight advantage in elevation and windage. Is it worth $10 more per box? I don't know. I've had really good luck with the Hornady's. I've beat guys with bolt guns using this bullet past 1000 yards, where they (the bolt gun shooters) didn't think I'd have a chance.

I'll let you know how my rifle performed with them after this weekend.

Guessing you'll find the Hornady's will shoot better out of the gas gun as they seem to be less finicky about seating depth. That's what I've found with my BRX at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shooting the Hornady's ever since I got my 6 Creed. I just bought a box of the Berger hybrids to try out and am hoping to shoot them this weekend, so I'll try to remember to report back then.

It seems like most of the guys shooting the "major" competitions are using the Berger bullets as the bullets offer a better BC value over the Hornacy's, and thus give them a slight advantage in elevation and windage. Is it worth $10 more per box? I don't know. I've had really good luck with the Hornady's. I've beat guys with bolt guns using this bullet past 1000 yards, where they (the bolt gun shooters) didn't think I'd have a chance.

I'll let you know how my rifle performed with them after this weekend. </div></div>

Thank you Steelhead, look forward to your findings.

I have about 350 rounds out of mine now. I am shooting 41.2 and 105s hornadys. This the go to load in mine now. It shoots lights out and I have no pressure issues. It goes to 1000 @ 7.4 - 650ish da in KY. This rifle is so easy to shoot. I do have back off my seating depth a little. Are you guys full length sizing your already fired cases?
Thanks,
T

Ok, I got to sneak away to the range for a bit this morning.

My load with the Hornady 105 BTHP's is 41.2gr. of H4350 at an OAL of 2.74", so I gave the same load to the Berger 105 Hybrid's, however, I loaded them long (7.795"), because in the past I've found with other Berger bullets I've had to load a bit longer to get the best accuracy. This didn't work so well this time. I had a couple of instances where the tip of the Berger bullet hit the chamber opening and was damaged, thus throwing accuracy off.

That being said, I got to test the load at 110 yards, 700 yards, 785 yards, 900 yards, and 1040 yards.

Groups at 110 yards seemed to be on par with the Hornady's. I've gotten 1/2 moa groups, and the Berger's looked like they will do the same. The group was under 1 MOA, but was opened up a bit more than the Hornady's, I believe due to the bullet tips getting damaged, as explained above.

At 1040 yards, I noticed that the Bergers gave me .5 MIL less elevation than the Hornady's did. I wasn't going for group size, especially since the wind picked up by this time, however groups with both Hornady and Berger were about the same on the steel plate. All were well within 5" at that range.

I'm going to load up some more of the Berger's and this time seat the bullets down further, to see if I can get away from the tip damage issues. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get back out to the range, but I'll report back when I do.

At this point, if I were to chose, the .5 MIL less elevation at 1040 yards was nice, but I don't know if it's worth the extra $10 a box. Further testing will need to be done. Too bad for me!
cool.gif

Todd I am full lengthing everything that I run. I have a bunch of 6.5 brass that was downsized and every time I get home from a match I end up with a lot of somebody 6.5 stuff. So it all goes through the Die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I got to sneak away to the range for a bit this morning.

My load with the Hornady 105 BTHP's is 41.2gr. of H4350 at an OAL of 2.74", so I gave the same load to the Berger 105 Hybrid's, however, I loaded them long (7.795"), because in the past I've found with other Berger bullets I've had to load a bit longer to get the best accuracy. This didn't work so well this time. I had a couple of instances where the tip of the Berger bullet hit the chamber opening and was damaged, thus throwing accuracy off.

That being said, I got to test the load at 110 yards, 700 yards, 785 yards, 900 yards, and 1040 yards.

Groups at 110 yards seemed to be on par with the Hornady's. I've gotten 1/2 moa groups, and the Berger's looked like they will do the same. The group was under 1 MOA, but was opened up a bit more than the Hornady's, I believe due to the bullet tips getting damaged, as explained above.

At 1040 yards, I noticed that the Bergers gave me .5 MIL less elevation than the Hornady's did. I wasn't going for group size, especially since the wind picked up by this time, however groups with both Hornady and Berger were about the same on the steel plate. All were well within 5" at that range.

I'm going to load up some more of the Berger's and this time seat the bullets down further, to see if I can get away from the tip damage issues. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get back out to the range, but I'll report back when I do.

At this point, if I were to chose, the .5 MIL less elevation at 1040 yards was nice, but I don't know if it's worth the extra $10 a box. Further testing will need to be done. Too bad for me!
cool.gif
</div></div>

Thanks for the update Steelhead, keep us posted. That .5 mil is nice and would be great if seating them w/out damage tightens them up.

"These" as in 6 Creedmoor? It's a great round in both Bolt and Semi Guns... 3 or 4 guys on Team GAP are shooting it I believe.

"These" as in 6 Creedmoor? It's a great round in both Bolt and Semi Guns... 3 or 4 guys on Team GAP are shooting it I believe.

I meant specifically the Gap-10 in 6 Creedmoor. I know the round works. Those guys seem to be on the podium in every match. I was wondering if the semi auto guns are accurate enough and get enough velocity to be competitive. It seemed like George was originally thinking these kinds of rifles might come to be a legitimate alternative to the custom bolt action rifles all of the top competitors are running. Obviously George isn't running one currently, and nobody on his team seems to be either. I was wondering if the concept of using a GAP-10 as a match rifle was one that had any legs. It'd be quite a bit cheaper than a GAP bolt gun and have other inherent advantages as well.

I meant specifically the Gap-10 in 6 Creedmoor. I know the round works. Those guys seem to be on the podium in every match. I was wondering if the semi auto guns are accurate enough and get enough velocity to be competitive. It seemed like George was originally thinking these kinds of rifles might come to be a legitimate alternative to the custom bolt action rifles all of the top competitors are running. Obviously George isn't running one currently, and nobody on his team seems to be either. I was wondering if the concept of using a GAP-10 as a match rifle was one that had any legs. It'd be quite a bit cheaper than a GAP bolt gun and have other inherent advantages as well.

The reason a bolt is used more often than an AR is that it's more forgiving especially when shooting competitions. Also, shortly after this George also started up with the 6.5 SAUM which is a phenomenal round and getting a lot of attention.