• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP-10 or the OBR??????

cttbax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
Augusta GA
www.1911market.com
I have been going back and forth for a week now... OBR or GAP-10? I want a 18" bbl .308 gas gun for shooting out to 800ish... I would like to slay deer/coyotes/pdogs and antelopes with this rifle... I will probably not go wrong with either one...but man I cannot make my mind up! The GAP-10 has a price edge on the OBR... Sway me one way or the other...or tell me to stop whining and make a decision!
mad.gif

Re: GAP-10 or the OBR??????

I do not have an OBR.
I have two GAP's in Armalite pattern AR-10.
One is in .308 and one in .260 Rem.
The .308 OBR was not available when I ordered my 1st AR10.
Quality, knowledgeble customer service and flexibility in spec.ing the rifle caused me to choose GAP again for my second AR10.

I have both and they are both nice. Either one will be a tack driver.

Larue fantards will probably say otherwise but the difference between rifles like the GAP, POF and OBR accuracy wise will be the guy shooting it. So whichever has the features you want at the price you want to pay is the right rifle for you.

I would call up GAP, tell them the type of shooting you want to do & the bullets you want to use and see what they say. In particular I would ask about barrel length, velocity and weight if you are going to use it for hunting.

Either way and you'll be happy! I would also throw the POF in the mix, unless you don't like it for some reason. As BCP stated, they are all capable long range shooters.

I have had both and either will serve you well.If you want it now and the OBR meets your needs go for it.If you want a rifle built specific for your needs go with the Gap.The Gap will have a wait and the OBR could be in your hands in a week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: livetohunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had both and either will serve you well.If you want it now and the OBR meets your needs go for it.If you want a rifle built specific for your needs go with the Gap.The Gap will have a wait and the OBR could be in your hands in a week or so.</div></div>

This..

I was in the same boat as you a couple weeks ago and I finally decided on the GAP-10. I should have it in 2-3 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am eye balling a GAP-10 myself. </div></div>
I think everyone who doesn't already own one is eye balling a GAP-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am eye balling a GAP-10 myself. </div></div>
I think everyone who doesn't already own one is eye balling a GAP-10 </div></div>

Damn right! To be honest though all these rifles are really good shooters but there is just something about a purpose-built rifle vs. a mass-produced one.

And if (God forbid) you have to sell it, it's not an armalite or a dpms or a mixmaster built in Uncle Bill's garage, it's a GAP. As long as you don't let your 5 year old paint it up in some hideous camo scheme they seem to hold their value and sell quite well.

The Gap seems to be the cats pajamas....

this is what I think I am going to order
Gap-10
18" .308
Threaded for suppressor
PRS stock....

still cheaper than a OBR...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am eye balling a GAP-10 myself.</div></div>

Same here. After handling it at SHOT and George telling me about the 3/8" groups they were getting from the rifle they built it sure sounds like a winner.

I might just pick up an upper for my POF lower. When I asked I was told they should start doing uppers towards the end of the year.

i ordered my GAP ar10 right before they switched to the POF. Im SOLD on my 20" armalite shooting 155's

PRS stock
Titan muzzle brake,
DD lite rails,
ergo standard grip
YHM bipod adapter with the harris swivel. KMV/ KVM lock is a MUST unless you want your rifle to fall over...
nightforce 3.5-15X50

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might just pick up an upper for my POF lower. When I asked I was told they should start doing uppers towards the end of the year. </div></div>

I hadn't heard about GAP offering just uppers later in the year...that is an excellent piece of info. I may have to look into that for the same reason...just drop it onto an already proven POF P-308 lower and go. Its gotta be that or I'm going to have to start thinking about parting with a rifle or two to justify a complete GAP-10 which I really hate to do.

To the OP...I'd opt for the GAP-10 over the OBR any day without a second thought.

Ordered a GAP-10 last week

.308 w/ 20" 11.25 twist, threaded for break/flash setup
PRS Stock
Badger Ord Ambi Charging Handle

Couple things that sold me on it...
1. Unitized Upper / Handguard
2. Full Ambi Controls
3. Comes with Rings
4. Customer Service... Ken was good to talk with and able to do whatever I wanted... Had no problem with me doing a UBR or putting on a break/flash supressor. Got into on Badger Ambi CH with Tac Latches... Etc etc.
5. Sponsor TBRC
6. Price

Just over 3k price tag ...

I too am on the fence... Larue makes one awesome rifle.. but so does G.A. Precision, both priced about the same....... might go Larue OBR, because I want it ASAP,... i know my decision process is brutal...good luck with yours!

I'm in the same boat and I was leaning towards an OBR based on shooting a friend's OBR. Its a truely awesome rifle. However, one thing that really turns me off is the really high rail on that thing. Not only is it asthetically unappealing, but it forces a narrow range of available stocks to use to get a decent (higher) cheek weld. And then there is the pain of the charging handle not working well with those raised saddles. I know Larue "fixed" that with a different stock, but thats even uglier and more clunky looking.

I know looks aren't everything, but they do count and I just don't like the workaround to get the charging handle to work with the raised cheekweld required. I'm now starting to migrate towards a GAP-10 or an MWS with a Rock SS barrel.

you would be hard pressed to have issues with either of them or the MWS. APA also builds AR's and i have heard awesome things about theirs as well. i prefer building my own or having someone like GAP or APA build one to my specs because i can pick the trigger, the rail i like, stock etc instead of buying it and modifying the way i want. i have a GAP ar10 and absolutely love it but i have one build on a JD reciever. I also built my own on a rock creek 16" barrel that is a hammer as well. just something to think about. if you want the barrel change option get the MWS but if not i say have GAP or APA build one to how you want, it will run and shoot as tight or tighter then any off the shelf AR10

Ill speak objectively since im obviously biased on this.

I bought an 18" Larue OBR about 2 months ago. I think its a very well build rifle, I love the 2 position gasblock (on/off) like the handguard, like the uper to handguard attachment. Im impressed and will agree its a good rifle. Ive shot it alot the one I have is reliable and has good 1 MOA accuracy or slightly better.

Our GAP-10 rifle is essentially offers a very similer platform. the upper to handguard is attached just as ridgid, upper to lower fit is nice. We dont currently have an adjustable gas block but Im working on it.

Big differene is the barrel and the way we chamber it. And the fit of the barrel extention to the upper. Bartlein 5R 1-11 match barrels are on all the GAP-10's thats where the serious accuracy comes from and is the most notable difference in the 2 platforms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill speak objectively since im obviously biased on this.

I bought an 18" Larue OBR about 2 months ago. I think its a very well build rifle, I love the 2 position gasblock (on/off) like the handguard, like the uper to handguard attachment. Im impressed and will agree its a good rifle. Ive shot it alot the ne I have is reliable and has good 1 MOA accuracy or slightly better.

Our GAP-10 rifle is essentially offers a very similer platform. the upper to handguard is attached just as ridgid, upper to lower fit is nice. We dont currently have an adjustable gas block but Im working on it.

Big differene is the barrel and the way we chamber it. And the fit of the barrel extention to the upper. Bartlein 5R 1-11 match barrels are on all the GAP-10's thats where the serious accuracy comes from and is the most notable difference.

</div></div>

George,

Thank you for posting. I am planning on running this gun suppressed, should I wait until a switch block style gas block is available?? The supperssor in question is a Shark suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill speak objectively since im obviously biased on this.

I bought an 18" Larue OBR about 2 months ago. I think its a very well build rifle, I love the 2 position gasblock (on/off) like the handguard, like the uper to handguard attachment. Im impressed and will agree its a good rifle. Ive shot it alot the ne I have is reliable and has good 1 MOA accuracy or slightly better.

Big differene is the barrel and the way we chamber it. And the fit of the barrel extention to the upper. Bartlein 5R 1-11 match barrels are on all the GAP-10's thats where the serious accuracy comes from and is the most notable difference.

</div></div>

George,

Thank you for posting. I am planning on running this gun suppressed, should I wait until a switch block style gas block is available?? The supperssor in question is a Shark suppressor.

</div></div>

It will work now but run a little harder with the can on. The adjustable block will allow the gas to be dropped a hair for supressor use. Im guessing it will be a while as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill speak objectively since im obviously biased on this.

</div></div>

George,

</div></div>

It will work now but run a little harder with the can on. The adjustable block will allow the gas to be dropped a hair for supressor use. Im guessing it will be a while as well.

</div></div>

OK, thanks for the info. Would the upper be "upgradeable" in the future if I buy now and still have a need for the adjustable gas block??? Either way I am going to call you tomorrow with my deposit money in hand.. GAP WINS!

I will let GAP comment on the upgradeability at a later date, but one thing that will assist with suppressor use right away that is user-upgradeable would be one of Slash's (Clint Butler's) extra heavy rifle buffers:

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10rifle.html

I use Slash's buffers in many of my ARs and they are excellent products!

GAP-10 or the OBR??????

Suppose all things about both rifles were exactly the same including the price.
Of all the matches that I have been to, I have seen countless rifles and certificates for parts and services from GAP and limited Larue products.
Now Mark may support other shooting disciplines just as much as George does the precision tactical venue, but this is where I play so that is the business I support. I wouldn’t know Mark if he knocked on my door with a long brown box so this is in no way a cut towards him or his excellent products, but I do know the GAP staff and while I am not a GAP whore or fan boy per say, I do consider George Moon and Flounder friends. This comes not from their skill as Gunsmiths and riflemen but from the way they, in 2006, treated a 12 year old boy and his Redneck Daddy for no reason other than they are Gentlemen. This carries weight in my world.
As far as a quality rifle...Can't go wrong with either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP-10 or the OBR??????

Suppose all things about both rifles were exactly the same including the price.
Of all the matches that I have been to, I have seen countless rifles and certificates for parts and services from GAP and limited Larue products.
Now Mark may support other shooting disciplines just as much as George does the precision tactical venue, but this is where I play so that is the business I support. I wouldn’t know Mark if he knocked on my door with a long brown box so this is in no way a cut towards him or his excellent products, but I do know the GAP staff and while I am not a GAP whore or fan boy per say, I do consider George Moon and Flounder friends. This comes not from their skill as Gunsmiths and riflemen but from the way they, in 2006, treated a 12 year old boy and his Redneck Daddy for no reason other than they are Gentlemen. This carries weight in my world.
As far as a quality rifle...Can't go wrong with either </div></div>

I am loyal to the customer service you can ONLY get from a small business. GAP has an excellent reputation here and outside of this site. And I have to admit I am partial to a company from my home state as well. I like the approachablity of the staff when I call GA Precision, I have called them several times and asked questions about the GAP-10 and the staff is very polite and curtious each time. I have no doubt asked them a few noobish questions and they give me professional answers. I started this thread because I was just on the fence..... I hate waiting for anything, but to be fair I called Larue today and the wait is only 3 weeks for a OBR 762, but I didnt get the same treatment, it was not rude but I felt an urgency for the sales rep to get off the phone....maybe I caught him eating lunch... I dunno. I like everything about the GAP-10 and George posting up and helping me over the hill on the decision is icing on the cake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am loyal to the customer service you can ONLY get from a small business. </div></div>Nothing against GAP because I have gotten good customer service from them, but the single best customer service experience I have ever had in my life has come from Larue Tactical. You can read about it here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2183960

I shot an OBR down at rifles only, and it shot very well. With that being said, i would order the gap. I like being able to pick and choose every detail of my stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am loyal to the customer service you can ONLY get from a small business. </div></div>Nothing against GAP because I have gotten good customer service from them, but the single best customer service experience I have ever had in my life has come from Larue Tactical. You can read about it here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2183960

</div></div>

X2, and for me it was a question about a scope not purchased from them, Alfred never once acted like he was in a hurry to get off the phone.

Maybe I caught him at lunch, it was probably 1130 in TX when I called... I am not reading into it too much. I was trying to figure out if there was a accuracy difference between the OBR 762 and the PredatAR 762...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not reading into it too much.</div></div>

ROFL be glad they didn't tell you to "move" (I live in California, as I travel the country now I find it has a reputation that precedes it).

I would like to maybe get one of the GA rifles as well, and may.

But my OBR is better than an MOA carbine, the first groups I got from it were right at half moa. The rifle has performed flawlessly out to 650.

I am still amazed that I can shoot a semi right beside my 20" APA and not feel at a disadvantage. Simply amazing for a semi auto, especially for me.

I wouldnt be surprised if the GA shoots just as well, but will be surprised if any semi shoots better. The OBR is amazing, and the gas block is a great feature.

As far as stocks, I never thought I liked the CTR, but with the riser, it is a great stock. I never run my charging handle with a collapsed stock so it is a non issue.

I think either rifle will be great, but I know the LaRue is and the CS is unsurpassed in my experience. Great choices to have.

I got my OBR on the 23th, it took only 6 days and that includes weekend. Alfred was great, took his time and the best thing is he referred to his own past experience. I got exactly what I wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might just pick up an upper for my POF lower. When I asked I was told they should start doing uppers towards the end of the year. </div></div>

I hadn't heard about GAP offering just uppers later in the year...that is an excellent piece of info. I may have to look into that for the same reason...just drop it onto an already proven POF P-308 lower and go. Its gotta be that or I'm going to have to start thinking about parting with a rifle or two to justify a complete GAP-10 which I really hate to do.
</div></div>
Perhaps A10XRIFLE can elaborate further on this. If GAP will indeed be selling just the GAP10/POF style uppers in the future, I might just wait for one of those, instead of buying a factory POF upper for the lower I already have. I would like to know if the finish will match the factory POF black.

Try and look at the companies. What are their philosphies, if you can find out? Call em on the phone and talk to them. Phone customer service and see how you're treated - as an experiment - a test, before you actually need them.
Talk to them. Ask the person on the phone in customer service what would happen if your rig failed, what is the policy for dealing with the matter, and see if you like the answer, politeness, etc.
Last, Call GAP and ask to speak with George. Not to actually speak with him, but great if you do, but just to see how your handled.
Call LaRue and ask to speak with the owner, Mark. Ditto.
Just a few ideas I should use myself.

where are all the larue fanboys?
I guarantee if you posted this on another forum itd be the opposite. Obviously people on this forum would prefer GAP and larue on the other unnamed forum

I don't push one over the other. the LMT, Larue, APA, GAP, LWRC are all great weapons. I like the fact that george comes on here and tells it like it is, he supports this site, and all the competitions. I have never had a bad experience with them. APA (jared) is on here, and does a lot as well. That to me apart from their amazing rifles they build is enough to get my business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marshallwk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where are all the larue fanboys?
I guarantee if you posted this on another forum itd be the opposite. Obviously people on this forum would prefer GAP and larue on the other unnamed forum </div></div>

haha so true.. I should post this question on ARFCOM...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't push one over the other. the LMT, Larue, APA, GAP, LWRC are all great weapons. I like the fact that george comes on here and tells it like it is, he supports this site, and all the competitions. I have never had a bad experience with them. APA (jared) is on here, and does a lot as well. That to me apart from their amazing rifles they build is enough to get my business. </div></div>

I agree Joe.... the the professional explanation of the difference between his GAP-10 and the OBR really helped me make my decision. And it also says loads about the character of the folks @ GA Precision. I also had one member PM me his personal story about the stand up folks at GA Precision. I am pretty excited about giving them a call today and FINALLY buying the rifle!

Am i missing something, Larue OBR gives a 1MOA guarantee, Gap gives 3/4 MOA guarantee and APA gives 1/2 MOA guarantee but posts above say they are basically all the same>>>? To me there seems to be a big difference between a 1/2MOA rifle and a 1MOA rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am i missing something, Larue OBR gives a 1MOA guarantee, Gap gives 3/4 MOA guarantee and APA gives 1/2 MOA guarantee but posts above say they are basically all the same>>>? To me there seems to be a big difference between a 1/2MOA rifle and a 1MOA rifle. </div></div>Accuracy International guarantees it's AW rifles (up to almost $7k when fully equipped) to MOA.

Try finding one that will shoot that bad.

Just because they are guaranteed to shoot MOA doesn't mean they won't shoot better.

To the original poster- congrats on the GAP 10! Both rifles you were looking at were fantastic options, and having owned both a GAP AR-10 and a Larue OBR, I can tell you that you wouldn't have gone wrong with either.

Actually I think Accuracy International 's guarantee is written as 30mm @ 100m which is a bit over 1 MOA.
wink.gif

All my GAP rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1/10th mil or my money back... I usually manage a little better, they usually beat that guarantee by .06" of a inch @ 100.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I think Accuracy International 's guarantee is written as 30mm @ 100m which is a bit over 1 MOA.
wink.gif

All my GAP rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1/10th mil or my money back... I usually manage a little better, they usually beat that guarantee by .06" of a inch @ 100. </div></div>

But you have people skillz......Women want you and men what to be like you.....
smile.gif

Unless you have a .224.

Then it gets better then 1/10th MIL

Just sayin.

John

Hey Guys... New to the forum.. Looking to buy a GAP 10, but would love to try shooting one first in .308.

Anyone in Northern California willing to show off their GAP 10 and shoot a bit? Happy to pay for the ammo.

Thanks!