• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP-10 vs building

Re: GAP-10 vs building

2-3 months? Try 5-7 YEARS for some of the top 1911 smiths.

My Rogers pistol was over 5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmcclure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2-3 months? Try 5-7 YEARS for some of the top 1911 smiths.

My Rogers pistol was over 5. </div></div>

I wouldn't try because that's outrageous. I wouldn't be interested even if the price was right and it had self guiding ammunition that came with it.

If I could get Vickers to build me one I MIGHT wait that long since he's not actively building anymore and if you find one they are selling for 5-7k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nmcclure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2-3 months? Try 5-7 YEARS for some of the top 1911 smiths.

Holy shi... hell no... Patience is not one of my virtues and that is ridiculous.

if only this was a spanish soap opera.

try the google snipers hide search engine

search for hellbender accurate ar build
i think there are 7 different parts.

"Some people know how to have sex in more than one position, while others would rather pay someone else to sleep with their wife," T. Roosevelt

And I thought form 4's took forever......

20 or so GAP-10's shipped since last week and another 12 or so will go out this week. then the regular 1-3 months will be in affect and most will ship at about the 6-8 week mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRPF52</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I shot a 9.25" group with it on Friday at 1000yds with the 130gr VLD's off the bipod resting on the tailgate of my truck, while laying in the truck bed. I had shifting and light changes in the wind conditions, but held the same POA.</span> </div></div>

Just curious, how much shifting wind value changes you had and still shot inside MOA at 1K with the same POA? </div></div>

The wind was dead in the morning-a perfect day for shooting. Temp was at 59 F, no clouds, I couldn't have been happier. After confirming my POI at 500yds, I went to my 1000yd target, which was a large box for carrying a painting, mounted on one of my target stands. I put a Shoot n See on it in the center for a better aiming point.

Without holding any wind, the first group was on the left edge of the target, with one round off to the left, so I held my crosshairs on the right edge of the shoot n see for the next group. After my first two shots, a very slight gust kicked up, but I just wanted to see what it would do, since it has grouped well in shifting wind conditions at 700m before.

I would say the wind was no more than a steady 3mph from right to left, full, and gusted slightly to no more than 7mph. I've been doping wind almost my whole adult life, in case you're wondering. The 1st 2 rounds are within 4" of each other and vertical. The 3rd was high and left, opening the group to 9.25", so I'm guessing that was the "gust". The Shoot n See was very blurry in the mirage, and I was on 10x, like I said.

When I spec'd this rifle out, Jeff "Flounders" at GAP asked me what bullets I was looking at focusing on. He said he would cut the throat based on my preference. I told him the 139gr Scenar (which has turned out to be the most accurate so far, but I wanted to play with some VLD's too). I also sent him 5 pieces of my sized brass so he could give me a warm and fuzzy about the chamber specs for feed and neck fit.

I specified the exact contour I wanted, and Jeff profiled the barrel, then went above and beyond and customized my gas block shoulder to blend with the OD of my gas block. Before finishing the rifle, Jeff had a major loss in his family, and George finished the stick himself. I couldn't have asked for more from them really. I won't even tell how quick it was, because we won't be seeing that turnaround any time soon with the way this market has been.

The first group I ever shot with the rifle was .75" at night at 100m using 123gr Scenars and N540, since I was on a tight schedule with load development and couldn't afford to lose what I had left of the day before flying overseas for FinnSniper, which I try to shoot every year.

I used the GAP/DPMS in .308 that Jeff built for me in 2007, in FinnSniper 2008, with an Obermeyer pipe, and that rifle shoots amazingly well. Here is some video of it from that match, where it really helped us win 2nd Place (1st foreign team to place within top 3 in FinnSniper):

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TS_pwM3IPAs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TS_pwM3IPAs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

On the 2nd position, I forgot to dial in my dope from 300m to 450m. Those distances aren't much, and most of the other stages were from 500m-UKD. We never did figure out what the furthest targets were, as they were on a reverse slope, but if you look at the wind, the tree tops are blowing over hard to the left. The wind was brutal, since it's on the coastline. That was the final run and gun fun stage. Great times, and the funnest comp by far for me.

If you want attention to detail, personalization, and who knows how many combined years of experience going into your precision gas gun, GAP is a known company that will square you away. I know where I'll be turning for my next barrel when the .260 burns.

If you want a top quality 1911 check out Guncrafter Industries No Name. I have one and it is the best handgun and most accurate I have ever had. I also have many other Custom handguns but nothing beats G I.

o<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20 or so GAP-10's shipped since last week and another 12 or so will go out this week. then the regular 1-3 months will be in affect and most will ship at about the 6-8 week mark. </div></div>

I hope that means good news for me soon. I can't wait!

I called them today about my upper........they say I still have about a month wait. Not the news I wanted to hear

Its nice to have someone just build one for you if you don't have the time or know your ass from a hole in the ground about it, Yes you can for sure build an awesome rig yourself with badass parts and get a head turner, but for those of us who find it easier to just let someone else do it, GAP is hard to beat and as mentioned above, with GAP you can "get it your way"

Using the logic of "if I get similar parts and assemble it my self it should be just as good", here is my analogy:

I have very little mechanical experience on modern cars.
If I buy a bunch of Corvette parts I can assemble them to make a fully competitive Corvette? Plus same a lot of money?

Nope - I don't think so. I don't even feel the need to explain why.
If I were an awesome mechanic and have a lot of experience with this, and have done it several times before, then its probable.

Now, a Corvette and AR rifle are two very different things, but the analogy holds.

This is good to hear, ordered my GAP-10 earlier this week!...just a tad excited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thejeep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if only this was a spanish soap opera.

try the google snipers hide search engine

search for hellbender accurate ar build
i think there are 7 different parts.

"Some people know how to have sex in more than one position, while others would rather pay someone else to sleep with their wife," T. Roosevelt </div></div>

I'll vouch for the hellbender accurate build. I've got one and am proud to call him one of my best friends. He can build a gun that shoots!

It's YOUR money - do what's best for you. There's different ways to go about it. Personally, for me if it was just a plinking rifle I would probably build it for the fun of it with quality parts from known manufacturers. I think it's important to understand the basic operation of the rifle and how it operates, but also to be able to break it down and do minor repairs and cleaning when needed. Building your own rifle in the supervision of a trained gunsmith is a great way to go in my opinion. If I was looking at dropping some coin on a more "precision" rifle, then I like the idea of getting a complete rifle from the manufacturer of my choice because if there are any issues you deal with only one manufacturer.

- GAP 10 is next on my list!