• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gap 10

Wheaticus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego, CA
I've been on the hunt for an 308 semi automatic platform and am ready to buy a gap 10 but am concerned with the weight as the website lists the rifle at ten to eleven pounds. Is there any option that I can have to make this rifle lighter looking at pofand dpms the rifles there come in at 8.9 and a 9.75 pounds which is more where my goals are being in CA the dpms is not attainable and the features of the gap are more favorable. Any thoughts pertaining to the topic would be great as I would like to get the rifle in hand as soon as possible.

16" barrel, skip the magpul PRS will save you some. Current production time for GAP10 is 10 months. I have one and it is an amazing or most accurate AR platform I ever shot.

Last edited:
Ok and 16" barrel in regards to what I apologize for not understanding

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

You might also consider a JP LRP-07 if weight is a big factor for you. Turnaround time is faster with JP too-about 10 weeks if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Don't you just need a bullet button to be Kali compliant? That flow chart out there for identification of CA compliant rifles is so f'ing crazy it boggles my mind. Feel sorry for you guys...

Yes but the actual panther series is banned
In regards to the gap 10 does anyone have experience with the fluting that they do and how much weight could be cut there I was also looking into a more light weight hand guard maybe carbon fiber?

I would just give Ken at GA Precision a call. He'll be able to answer all of your questions. He has been extremely helpful to me and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

I have a GAP-10 in 6mm and have been extremely pleased with it. It's very accurate and very reliable. My first barrel had flutes in it and it did lighten the rifle up some, but my new barrel does not have the flutes. I don't remember if I could tell the difference in the weight. I just enjoy shooting the dang thing so much. :)

Anyway, I really think the best option would be to call Ken at GAP. Listen to the message when you call and it will tell you which number to press to be connected to Ken.

My production time is 15 months. It worth the wait.

Last question is is it a down payment or the full price to get on the wait list?

Flutes are nice man. Probably good for half pound, but it's a Bartlein. Will be heavy if you're worried about it. Personally, I like my rifles a little piggy fat like.

Last question is is it a down payment or the full price to get on the wait list?

For Gap10, $1500 down payment. Balance due when rifle ready to ship. If u upgrade trigger, brake, adjustable gas block, stock, flute barrel and etc... around $3300 range, +75 shipping, your local FFL fee, and CA states tax, total otd 38xxx. That's how much I paid.

Flutes are nice man. Probably good for half pound, but it's a Bartlein. Will be heavy if you're worried about it. Personally, I like my rifles a little piggy fat like.

Plus had my boys initials and birth date engraved. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409862105.631112.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409862125.130046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the way the statute is written only DPMS rifles with "Panther" in their name are banned. I'm pretty sure the one you're looking at would be an LR-308 or the like. I was planning on moving there a few years ago... and am actually licensed to practice law there, but I haven't seen if the list in the statute has been updated. I'm actually pretty sure DPMS changed all its model names to avoid this.

Been having grip ADD lately, didn't like the MOE that came with it. Slapped on a MIAD, fit was ok, but back straps needed trimming. Just slapped an ERGO deluxe with shelf, and it is that cats ass. Should have been on there from the start.

Mike1113, nice rifle, and nice scope! Just received my GAP 260 Non Typical and your is making me re-up and get a GAP10 on order

I feel like a fan-boy b/c I just posted this in mike1113's thread a few days ago, but you just can't go wrong with the GAP-10. Not even comparable to DPMS. Depends on what you're going to do with it, and what kind of accuracy you want/need. If MOA'ish is acceptable, DPMS, if .5 MOA is more your speed, then GAP-10. Plus, they look pretty nice! Even the older style handguards.

6mm Creedmoore - Only 3 shot group, but you get the idea. Only 50 rounds down the tube, and using minimum load for barrel break-in. It'll only get better from here. I say its worth the wait!

IMG_20140806_190400_347.jpg

IMG_20140823_182316_034.jpg

Run 150-200 rounds and she loosens up. Any hiccups should go away and it'll run like a sewing machine. Mine is as accurate as any of my bolts. 10 dot drill is stupid easy.

You mentioned POF and I love mine. I love the GAP 10 as well. My P308 with the 14.5" pinned barrel shoots .70" all day long and with hand loads I'm currently working on it shot .403" yesterday with 178amax, 42.9gr 4064, FC 1xfired brass and CCI BR2 primers.

This may be an ignorant question but what does GAP do when building the rifle that I don't do when I build an AR? Do they do something special? Im not being a smartass , I know they are great rifles but what exactly are you paying for that a regular builder can't or doesn't do?

This may be an ignorant question but what does GAP do when building the rifle that I don't do when I build an AR? Do they do something special? Im not being a smartass , I know they are great rifles but what exactly are you paying for that a regular builder can't or doesn't do?

A POF rifle is built with a gas piston gas system.

GAP gets a POF receiver set, puts in the trigger to your specs, then gets their own GAP custom contour gas gun barrels from Bartlein and does the barrel work for it work for it to function as a direct impingement gas system (which would include setting up the contour and gas block for a mid-length or rifle length system, switchblock install (if desired), and obviously cut/chamber/crown), and (naturally) they fit and function test everything to the upper receiver and the handguard.

So, in summary, you get a DI version of the POF gas piston system with a custom fit and contoured match grade barrel, and you get to spec out various features of the system (barrel length, trigger, buttstock, switchblock, muzzle brake, cerakote, etc.)

Why do all you guys put brakes on AR style 308's? They hardly have any recoil without a brake?

Because it makes good...........even better.

My Gen II SASS is shooting around .6 to .7 MoA with my best groups in the .3's. Modern manufacturing processes are changing what we used to know.

I swear it would shoot better if I would quit flubbing that fifth shot. The rifle is capable, this shooter, not so much. Who's the genius that came up with 5 shots and not 4?

Because it makes good...........even better.

My Gen II SASS is shooting around .6 to .7 MoA with my best groups in the .3's. Modern manufacturing processes are changing what we used to know.

I swear it would shoot better if I would quit flubbing that fifth shot. The rifle is capable, this shooter, not so much. Who's the genius that came up with 5 shots and not 4?

^^^^well said......and chicks do dig it. If you think it doesnt have much recoil with a crowned muzzle, try popping a lantac or precision armament brake on that bad boy and see what happens.

And to top off a great thread full of 100% legit info and accurate statements - LCDR is also on point when it comes to his description of the differences between a POF and a GAP 10!

Last edited:
^^^^well said......and chicks do dig it. If you think it doesnt have much recoil with a crowned muzzle, try popping a lantac or precision armament brake on that bad boy and see what happens.

And to top off a great thread full of all that is 100% legit, accurate statements - LCDR is on point when it comes to his discription of the differnces between a POF and a GAP 10!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411424910.445186.jpg