• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP .284 "Multi Use" Rifle**RANGE UPDATE**

VJJPunisher

Necromancing the stone
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
prison purse
alright all you freakazoids, I got a text from an Obi Brown Cornobi sayin my rifle was done tuesday and was able to swing by GAP yesterday afternoon and pick it up. The boys in there do ninja warlock wizard type shit for sure, this thing is sweeter than a jelly dohnut on jessica alba's ass.

I went about this build with the logic of being a multi purpose sorta do all rifle that could extend my max range out a little further than guns I have now (on paper and on internet hypothetically of course cause i dont actually shoot any of my guns). things I was looking for were these,

LR target shoot- hells yes
hunt anything in N. America- yup
competition able- sure why not
not burn out a barrel in 3 rounds- yessir
suppressor ready- fo sho
ergonomic carry rifle- a smidge heavy but with a decent sling doable

so after alot of discussion with the crew at GAP and a bunch of fellers on here, and the obligatory waiting game, this is what materialized.

Rem 700 Long action trued, blueprinted and all that jazz
chambered in .284 WIN(short for WINNING)
Bartlein 1-8 26 inch barrel, GAP #7 contour
5 Deep fluted
contoured for ops inc can
Badger recoil lug
Ops Inc brake
Front and rear iron sight bases ('Merica fuck yeah!)
R&D hex head Bolt Knob
APA bottom metal
Manners T3 stock fully bedded
Nightforce 20 MOA scope base
Badger Rings
NF 5-22X50 NPR1 looker tube(compliments of Jay at sportoptics)
Atlas rail
and apparently some "dick coils" added for no additional charge

I had it left bare because it's gonna be on the way to ARP along with the bieber rifle for some razzmatazz paint work. range report to come.

284.jpg

284-2-1.jpg

284-3.jpg

284-4.jpg

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Re: GAP .284 "Multi Use" Rifle

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Gay</span>
Marginally less gay than The Bieber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gay </div></div>

Totally.
smile.gif

nice looking rifle, glad the "dick coils" didn't show up in the pics!

Looks good. Front and rear iron sight bases.... Your a rebel!
But they should come in handy if the countersniper breaks during a close quarter battle with a zombie.
whistle.gif

dick coils in the bedding is all the new rage...

update- I am switching over to Burris Zee rings and shims for this rifle cause i heard they are the bestest

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">sweet hooker lube</span>

musta misread that looker tube thingy

Rifle looks sweet man. What brand of brass are you going with?

P.S. Dont forget your base shims.

just got some win brass for now, im poor after trading all my food stamps to pick up the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just got some win brass for now, im poor after trading all my food stamps to pick up the rifle </div></div>

The Winny brass is just fine, although the neck diameter of a loaded cartridge is quite a bit thicker than Lapua 6.5-284 that's been necked up.

Winchester: .3145"
Lapua: .3115

The Winny brass is a smidge tight in my .317" chamber, and with only .0025" diameteral clearance, has zero tolerance for a casemouth burr.

Depends on your chamber. Ask GAP what your chambers neck diameter is. Look for a minimum of .004" overall clearance. Any tighter and you're liable to have accuracy issues.

You can't give the shorty a sweet name like "The Bieber" and not name this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">update- I am switching over to Burris Zee rings and shims for this rifle cause i heard they are the bestest </div></div>

caused me to spew cola all over my laptop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't give the shorty a sweet name like "The Bieber" and not name this one.</div></div>

it will come to me.....wait a minute......im having a vision.......yup, i have it,

ladies and gentleman I present to you my "Chaz Bono" rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't give the shorty a sweet name like "The Bieber" and not name this one.</div></div>

it will come to me.....wait a minute......im having a vision.......yup, i have it,

ladies and gentleman I present to you my "Chaz Bono" rifle</div></div>

Hells yeah

What you doing this weekend?

Nothing much, just bringing Bono and the Bieber out to the woods....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 105amatt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ummm, where are the super secret scope rings?</div></div>

on backorder, apparently there is a huge influx for demand on the burris zee signature rings

We can only hope there is a large enough supply of shims to meet this influx of demand for the burris zee rings....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">update- I am switching over to Burris Zee rings and shims for this rifle cause i heard they are the bestest </div></div>

Only the cool kids do it that way.

What do you plan on loading up for the Bono? And when we going to see some numbers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you plan on loading up for the Bono? And when we going to see some numbers? </div></div>
Im intrested also, keep us wanna be's in the loop. I have been thinking of a build on the 284 as well, it does seem like a great compromise from barrel life to a ballsitic advantage.

nice rifle by the way

Really sweet, but I gotta say I would much rather lick a jelly doughnut off Jessica Alba's ass! Out of curiosity what kind of sight fits on that fron base?

Too cool for me........ Make sure theres no dick cheese in the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cypriss32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too cool for me........ Make sure theres no dick cheese in the barrel. </div></div>

Congrats on 5k post! Make sure to PM Frank to get your gift basket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on your chamber. Ask GAP what your chambers neck diameter is. Look for a minimum of .004" overall clearance. Any tighter and you're liable to have accuracy issues. </div></div>
Good advice as i've also heard that the .284 likes a little breathing room around the neck. And the loaded neck dia. that turbo54 gave are spot on from what i have seen too. I will say that my .284 has a .315" inside diameter and I have had excellent accuracy with both lapua and win. brass. I have had a few with win. brass not chamber because of a burr or very slight lip at the very end of the neck. For this reason I have went back to using lapua brass but awesome accuracy with both. That being said it might be worth a whirl before turning any necks depending on your chamber specs, although the win brass would benefit from turning to get a more consistent neck thickness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cypriss32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too cool for me........ Make sure theres no dick cheese in the barrel. </div></div>

Congrats on 5k post! Make sure to PM Frank to get your gift basket. </div></div>

Why thank you....... I will PM frank right away. Maybe do a raffle? Who knows.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you plan on loading up for the Bono? And when we going to see some numbers?</div></div>

At least initially I think I'm gonna go with the 162 Amax and H4831SC powder. I have heard great things about this combo running just over 2,900 fps. George told me the 162 amax can be finicky at times in some guns and maybe try the 175 matchking if I don't get what I'm looking for out of the 162. I will probably work a load for both

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2pirates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really sweet, but I gotta say I would much rather lick a jelly doughnut off Jessica Alba's ass! Out of curiosity what kind of sight fits on that fron base? </div></div>

an international olympic globe front sight

I've got some Win. .284 brass left over from my 6x284 days. New(but 15 or 20 years old) You're welcome to it if you need some extra. Just pm me an address if you want it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you plan on loading up for the Bono? And when we going to see some numbers?</div></div>

At least initially I think I'm gonna go with the 162 Amax and H4831SC powder. I have heard great things about this combo running just over 2,900 fps. George told me the 162 amax can be finicky at times in some guns and maybe try the 175 matchking if I don't get what I'm looking for out of the 162. I will probably work a load for both </div></div>

168 Berger VLD runs like a champ for me in my 284.

That looks like a really nice build, should be a critter slayer for sure. Want contour did you go with? Looks like a MTU.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks like a really nice build, should be a critter slayer for sure. Want contour did you go with? Looks like a MTU.</div></div>

Actually it's a gap #7 or "m24"

Nice, should be accurate. A little hefty like you said but that's not always a bad thing. I've always wanted a 284 winny, just never put one together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

At least initially I think I'm gonna go with the 162 Amax and H4831SC powder. I have heard great things about this combo running just over 2,900 fps. George told me the 162 amax can be finicky at times in some guns and maybe try the 175 matchking if I don't get what I'm looking for out of the 162. I will probably work a load for both </div></div>

George is right. I wouldn't call the 162 "finicky" though, because it implies tinkering will get it sorted out. I've now dealt with the 162 in 4 different tubes, and can say it either works, or it doesn't.

My advise is to NOT waste a lot of time trying to sort it out.

My proposal:

5 rounds of each:

162/51.5gr H4350 on the lands
162/51.5gr H4350 .040 off

162/55.5gr H4831sc on the lands
162/55.5gr H4831sc .040 off

If none of those absolutely hammer, give up.

So far, of the 4 barrels I've tried these in, only one of them worked. That barrel will hammer the 162 with any charge of powder, any distance off the lands. The other 3 won't shoot it for shit, regardless of load.

The 175 and 180smk work nice in all, though the 175 is a bit easier to tune.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice turbo </div></div>
A serious "thank you" from VJJ? What's hapening here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quacktastic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice turbo </div></div>
A serious "thank you" from VJJ? What's hapening here?</div></div>

turning over a new leaf, just discovered a son i never knew i had is into long range AK's

i have the exact same intention with a 7saum coming out of GAP in the next year or so.

already planning my own bieber... VJJ your my hero

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
already planning my own bieber... VJJ your my hero </div></div>

Now that is just sweet...
blush.gif

first, I can't believe you got dick coils at
no charge. that's bs. I paid 2 arms and a leg
for mine. one word: LUCKY!!

second, this rifle hits the sweet spot 4 me. I got my long action sitting here but here are my changes, which for a hunting available rifle
I am surprised you not do:

-medium or light Palma barrel. save some weight there
-what fill you go? don't know what/how/why you got the manners 3, but I was thinkin hard on the A1-3 stock. seems a legit choice. ur choice by no means a bad one.

I seem to know how builds come along, and I have to say I like ur combo. my 7mm is coming along as soon as i save some scratch. the man been gettin his which = me pwb

regardless, pure gold here. wanted to post more but mr coors said time to get back to business. ha.

regards sir

DT

To be honest DTROS, the stock was the first thing I had, and long before this build developed. I got it new in a trade from a good buddy of mine who wanted to start a build but ended up going a different route so I got the stock for a great deal. So I had a stock inletted for a rem 700 long action and started thinkin "hmmmm what do I build this into" and this build started to be thunked up.

To be honest, now, I'd pick the same t3 again if I did it over

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

George is right. I wouldn't call the 162 "finicky" though, because it implies tinkering will get it sorted out. I've now dealt with the 162 in 4 different tubes, and can say it either works, or it doesn't.

My advise is to NOT waste a lot of time trying to sort it out.

My proposal:

5 rounds of each:

162/51.5gr H4350 on the lands
162/51.5gr H4350 .040 off

162/55.5gr H4831sc on the lands
162/55.5gr H4831sc .040 off

If none of those absolutely hammer, give up.

So far, of the 4 barrels I've tried these in, only one of them worked. That barrel will hammer the 162 with any charge of powder, any distance off the lands. The other 3 won't shoot it for shit, regardless of load.

The 175 and 180smk work nice in all, though the 175 is a bit easier to tune. </div></div>

I would add, 175smk's/54gr 4831sc .015 jump

Nice build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have the exact same intention with a 7saum coming out of GAP in the next year or so.

already planning my own bieber... VJJ your my hero</div></div>

I believe all you have to say to moon when you call is "bieber it for me", he will know

and if the 284 build is close to what you like tell Ken you want the "chaz Bono package"