• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP-POF AR-10?

Re: GAP-POF AR-10?

Here Are some Pics:

394598716.jpg

394598705.jpg

394598726.jpg

DI gas rifles have an accuracy advantage for exactly the reasons Ken stated earlier. A Piston rifle pushes on the barrel when fired, becouse this push is a result of presure created by the firing of the cartridge the pressure would have to remain super consistant from shot to shot. cold weather vs hot weather, dirty gun vs clean ETC ETC.

DI doesnt push on the barrel at all the gas is chaneled in the tube into the carrier and is forced to the rear after the bullet is well clear of the muzzle.

DI's down side is that they do get Dirty and you need to clean them more regular, But since we build precision rifles and not bullet hoses thats not a huge problem.

Rifles are available for order now and first deliveries will be in mid March.

You should see a couple of Review's on here shortly as Lowlight and TuconDave will have theirs real soon.

George, have you ran this with a suppressor yet? I don't have much experience with AR's, and I keep reading if you use a suppressor go with the piston upper. I understand a DI will get dirty faster with a suppressor, but, does that mean it will stop functioning properly? How many rounds are we talking? I use a suppressor often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George, have you ran this with a suppressor yet? I don't have much experience with AR's, and I keep reading if you use a suppressor go with the piston upper. I understand a DI will get dirty faster with a suppressor, but, does that mean it will stop functioning properly? How many rounds are we talking? I use a suppressor often.</div></div>

Yes we have they run great with the surefire system and my personal one will wear an Ops Inc 3rd Model.

The Piston rifles will stay cleaner, If you shoot a ton of ammo with your can on you would probably need to clean it about twice as much as a piston rifle. Also depends on the ammo and how clean it is.

Your talking a lot of rounds right with quality ammo? It would make it through a match with out malfunctioning due to using a suppressor? That may be a dumb question, but, I don't have much experience with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your talking a lot of rounds right with quality ammo? It would make it through a match with out malfunctioning due to using a suppressor? That may be a dumb question, but, I don't have much experience with them.</div></div>

Yes , No problem thats already been done a time or two with DI Gas rifles

George-
I am assuming those will be the new pictures for the GAP-10 in the rifles 2011 section? As of now it still shows the DPMS pictures. The rifle looks beautiful...

Also have a question. This is posted up on your website as well; just wondering if it is accurate.

"Currently the GAP Precision AR-10, due to very high demand, has an up to 1 year wait time."

Is that the GAP-10 or the older AR-10s?

The Website is supposed to be updated tonight. Pricepoint will be right at $100 more. There will not be any 1 year wait. They will be shiping in March and should be at a 3-4 month wait tops Im hoping for alot less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Website is supposed to be updated tonight. Pricepoint will be right at $100 more. There will not be any 1 year wait. They will be shiping in March and should be at a 3-4 month wait tops Im hoping for alot less. </div></div>

Me tooo!

That's a pretty slick idea to run the custom DI on the POF receivers and rail.
Hey George you running regular barrel but right?

George: What is the barrel profile? What make of BCG? Are complete uppers available?

Can't wait to hear the range reports. I am sure it will be the same superb accuracy that GAP is known for in all their rifles.

I'm still learning about this stuff and I have a question about DI vs. piston operating systms affecting accuracy.

I've read about and understand the "carrier tilt" process with piston operated rifles but this is the first I've heard about the piston "pushing" on the rifle barrell. Could somebody please break it down for me.

Looks like the upper, lower, rail, heat sink are POF but the internals are all GAP. Also looks like a match made in heaven! Cant wait to see how these shoot.

what sort of rifling on the barrels and any idea on pricing?

Nevermind I just saw the website!

Man that is a sweet deal can't wait to see the reviews and hope to have one in the safe by summer!

Barrels are Bartlein 1-11.2 5R for 308 same in other calibers but with the approprite twist.

Countour is 1.200 for 3" to 1.00 Breach .875 at Gasblock and .855 Muzzle

as option you can get a Titan or surfire brake, or threaded 5/8x24 with T/P

Buttstock is either standard A2 or Magpul PRS

other options will be color in either Mil Spec OD, OD, or Coyote Tan or FDE.

gas blocked screwed or pinned?

Nothing additional needed to run a can except opting for threaded muzzle.

The gas block is Mk 12 type so it's has 2 10-32 set screws on the bottom that recess into matching cuts in the barrel.

are these 3/8 moa or 3/4 moa, the website says 3/4 but i thought i heard 3/8 somewhere? iether way its one damn fine looking ar and once i recieve my hospitaller in a few weeks im gonna order one most likley.

The guarantee is 3/4 MOA but George has been getting about 3/8" from his testing. 3/4 MOA for a gas gun is very good.

I am very interested and have been considering a MA-Ten mono build vs. the POF 308. It is clear that the GAP-10 uses a different barrel and gas system. Nevertheless, I am interested to know what internal components are POF derivatives (i.e. lower parts, gas block, BCG, etc...) or what the spec's are. The other parts are important; however, my primary question (at least for now) focuses on the bolt and carrier. Can you elaborate on the specification/origin of the BCG?

It is a very sweet looking package and based on what is being stated with the accuracy - I want one!
smile.gif

Thanks, Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BamaMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">however, my primary question (at least for now) focuses on the bolt and carrier. Can you elaborate on the specification/origin of the BCG?
</div></div>

i'm also curious about the BCG... the number of forward assist .308 uppers without forward assist bolt carriers has never made sense to me...

will any of these components be available to purchase from GAP?

Do we know yet if the GAP-10 has an adjustable gas system?

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. From everything I've read, it doesn't appear so. Therefore I'm leaning back toward the OBR again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heitmann45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been trying to figure out the same thing. From everything I've read, it doesn't appear so. Therefore I'm leaning back toward the OBR again...</div></div> It uses the MK12 type gas block as stated by George a few posts above yours, which is not adjustable.

I'm sure with GAP being the custom builder they are that they'll put one on if you request it if that's what you want. Try giving them a call and asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we know yet if the GAP-10 has an adjustable gas system? </div></div>

This.

I need a .308 AR, but I'm going to run a can and to top it off, I shoot left handed. An adjustable gas system is going to be a must for me.

If I could find a side charger with a 3 or 4 position gas block that would shoot as well as GAP rifles are supposed to, I'd keel over dead once it landed in my hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heitmann45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been trying to figure out the same thing. From everything I've read, it doesn't appear so. Therefore I'm leaning back toward the OBR again...</div></div> It uses the MK12 type gas block as stated by George a few posts above yours, which is not adjustable.

I'm sure with GAP being the custom builder they are that they'll put one on if you request it if that's what you want. Try giving them a call and asking. </div></div>

I will probably do that, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cardboardkiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do we know yet if the GAP-10 has an adjustable gas system? </div></div>

This.

I need a .308 AR, but I'm going to run a can and to top it off, I shoot left handed. An adjustable gas system is going to be a must for me.

If I could find a side charger with a 3 or 4 position gas block that would shoot as well as GAP rifles are supposed to, I'd keel over dead once it landed in my hands. </div></div>

I would Call GAP, they built mine off of a stripped upper and lower I supplied. I don't see any reason they couldn't do a custom side charger with adjustable gas block.
Of course, I'd expect it would take longer to build depending on part leadtimes, but the configuration is out there. They are more than capable.
Heck, it'd be fun to see one and unique as hell. I'm saying you should do it! lol

I'm wondering the same thing. I like POF's stuff, I use one of their lowers with a left hand stag arms upper in my primary ar-15 build. For a .308 I also would like a longer handguard to accomodate gasblocks farther out for those of us who like to work to minimize dirt and grime. Also it allows more room for placing the bipod.