• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

GAP-POF AR-10?

DocGlenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2006
North Georgia
Someone mentioned In a earlier post that GAP might be coming out with a POF AR-10 after SHOT. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Re: GAP-POF AR-10?

Are you SURE you heard "POF" or was it simply a "piston operated" AR-10/LR-308 type rifle?

One way or the other...you'll know in a couple days when the reports from SHOT start rolling in. I got screwed with work this year, so no joy for me at SHOT (not to mention Panty 6's notions on me spending a week in Vegas without supervision)!
wink.gif

Well hell!!! I'll wait to see some pics and hear all the details from SHOT (which I am sure will be phenomenal), but I already find myself thumbing through my rifles looking to see which semi-auto .308/7.62 may need to go in favor of another GAP in the herd!

Any love child between POF (one of my favorite rifle companies in the industry) and GAP (another favorite...duh!) will have to be a real winner!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any updates form shot show? </div></div>

Show starts tomorrow morning.

its pretty cool with the monolithic rail, I finger fucked one a couple of months ago at the shop it really is a great combo.. but I'm not gonna give up my GAP/DPMS quite yet..

To any one is at shot. Can we get some info or pics about this?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is not a piston rifle </div></div>

This is also what I have been told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TRON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its pretty cool with the monolithic rail, I finger fucked one a couple of months ago at the shop it really is a great combo.. but I'm not gonna give up my GAP/DPMS quite yet.. </div></div>

It's not a monolithic rail. The rail is attached to the receiver with screws.

No piston would be disappointing for me. The current POF seems like a very accurate rifle from what I have read. I just wish they made an 18" version. That's why I would like to see what GAP has come up with.

The only thing I know so far is it's a DI gun. They have a prs stock on it. I wonder what else GAP has done. The POF already has a good barrel.

The rifle in the pic has a POF upper/lower and MRR rail, but the pic with the "GAP AR10" description doesn't match-it says "GA Precision upper and lower"

Like so very many things at SHOT, just becasue there's pictured of stuff on tables does not guarantee that there is a production model imminent...

I know Specialized Dynamics can make folks a DI rifle in POF metal...

I guess we'll have to see what shakes out after SHOT.

The lower on the GAP-10 and the one that Glenn Seekins is holding look the same.......hmmmm.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lower on the GAP-10 and the one that Glenn Seekins is holding look the same.......hmmmm..... </div></div>

Not really, no. The lower on the complete GAP rifle pictured looks like a POF lower. It has a different looking set of ambi controls than the POF, a different trigger guard, and the biggest difference is the angle on the back end of the receiver. The POF pictured on the complete rifle is clearly a DPMS/KAC pattern (rounded) while the Seekins looks to be an Armalite pattern (sharp angle backward, not rounded).

Seekins' lower is his lower, and POF's is POF's. I'm not sure what GAP's are.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">The ambi bolt release on Seekins and POFs were designed by the same guy.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Confirmed with the GA guys today. Their new AR-10 will be a gas (DI) rifle. </div></div>

I just ordered an AR-10 from then at the begining of this month. What features will this "New for 2011" AR have that the old one didn't?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Confirmed with the GA guys today. Their new AR-10 will be a gas (DI) rifle. </div></div>

I just ordered an AR-10 from then at the begining of this month. What features will this "New for 2011" AR have that the old one didn't? </div></div>

If I were in your shoes I'd call next week for the straight skinny from them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins' lower is his lower, and POF's is POF's. I'm not sure what GAP's are.

The ambi bolt release on Seekins and POFs were designed by the same guy. </div></div>

Just to clarify Our lower has nothing to do with POF or what gap is using and the ambi stuff is completly diferent and desgined by me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seekins' lower is his lower, and POF's is POF's. I'm not sure what GAP's are.

The ambi bolt release on Seekins and POFs were designed by the same guy. </div></div>

Just to clarify Our lower has nothing to do with POF or what gap is using and the ambi stuff is completly diferent and desgined by me. </div></div>

I stand corrected then....

And looking closer at Hugh's pic of your lower I can see it is quite a bit different, sorry.

Maybe LL could fill us in? He said in his shot show roundup they had one of GAP's new AR10's on their table. If it is a POF upper, I wonder why they went DI and not piston? Is there is an accuracy advantage with DI? I don't have a lot of experience with gas guns and am looking to buy one soon.

It looks to be a POF Hunter upper/lower combo. Just built with the GAP signature touches, Bartlein barrel, etc. I'm still interested to hear more about this as I already have a POF lower doing nothing at the moment. I was going to just purchase a POF upper and call it a day, but maybe I can transform it into a GAP.....

Almost positive this isn't being subbed out to anyone. Talkin to George they are getting 3/8 MOA from this rifle. Looking forward to hearing about them more.

I'm out of town still, went to Cali after shot to see my new niece. I'll post full details tomorro the web site should be updated tonight. POF is machining the upper/lower and Handguard for us. It's marked GA Precision and the model is GAP-10. We are also using POF ambi controls. The barrels are bartlein and all assembly chambering etc is still done by Flounder here in KC. The rifle is DI gas becouse of accuracy disadvantage with piston rifles. More to follow!!!

There you go from the horses's mouth LOL Look forward to seeing more about this rifle.

my limited experience is that DI gas guns are more accurate than
piston formats but my question is "WHY"

VERY cool rifle George--congrats

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> POF is machining the upper/lower and Handguard for us. It's marked GA Precision and the model is GAP-10. We are also using POF ambi controls. The barrels are bartlein and all assembly chambering etc is still done by Flounder here in KC. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my limited experience is that DI gas guns are more accurate than
piston formats but my question is "WHY"

VERY cool rifle George--congrats </div></div>

As it was explained to me (or rather, as I understand), A DI system lends itself to be more consistent in shot placement for two main reasons,

1- the mechanical operation of the GI bolt and buffer occur in a straight line, whereas the piston rod operates in a different plane in addition to the operation of gas impingement.

2- the gas gun barrel can made to be more free floating than a piston system.

Hopefully George doesn't fire me for talking out of my ass---I will put a disclaimer that I am no gunsmith or engineer or physicist.

thank you--makes sense to me, I just couldn't figure it out
---by the way you're a nuclear physicist compared to my engineering knowledge--something tells me that you're more than
the secretary over at GAP!!

glad you guys are using POF uppers and lowers--I am a big fan
not a fan of their handguard---waiting to see if ya all use the
same one or not since this is to be a DI gun

It looks like the new POF handguard, which allows a lower mounting of scopes than the straight rail of the MRR.
My USO SN3 3.2-17X44 Ergo is mounted with 1.125" NF Unimount and there's probably .20" below the objective I could still drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KLin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hopefully George doesn't fire me for talking out of my ass---
</div></div>
If he does, I'd be open to relocation......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like the new POF handguard, which allows a lower mounting of scopes than the straight rail of the MRR.
My USO SN3 3.2-17X44 Ergo is mounted with 1.125" NF Unimount and there's probably .20" below the objective I could still drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KLin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hopefully George doesn't fire me for talking out of my ass---
</div></div>
If he does, I'd be open to relocation...... </div></div>

What do you have for a buttstock on your pof? Hows the cheek height with your optic described above? I am thinking of getting a pof with the new hunter rail and I will be mounting my Nightforce 2.5-10x32, and due to their taller rail I have my doubts that I will have the proper cheek height needed with magpuls UBR buttstock I plan on installing.

Any thoughts?

I'm running the new hunter rail on my P308 w/ Nightforce 2.5-10x32. Only difference is I'm using a PRS stock. With the PRS you get the proper cheek weld and sight picture. Not much extra weight using the PRS v.s. the UBR. 16" P308 is a laser!

I thought about the prs but, this will be my one and ony ar, so i want the rifle to be versatile/carbine/precision. I would really like to get by using the UBR.