• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP Problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
Mr. George
I have an issue to discuss with you. I had a rifle worked on by the shop. It is a remington 308 SPS AAC-SD. I had your shop bedd it in a new Manners stock, blueprint the action and bolt, set the barrel back 1 thread and put a match chamber in it, crown the barrel (didn't happen)and put a badger break on it.
It was shooting a 1.5 to 2.0 iinch group prior to the work. know it is shooting a 6.0 to 7.0 inch group.
I've called the shop to discuss the job twice, and was told that the barrel was bad. I am using the same scope with the action screws torqued to spec, rings and base torqued to spec.
I was shooting FGMM 168. I have tried FGMM 165 and 168, and southwest 175 SMK.
Your thoughts.................

Re: GAP Problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting way to voice your concerns...

I guess he figures this is the way to make the biggest splash.

.........drama queens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It was shooting a 1.5 to 2.0 iinch group prior to the work.
</div></div>

Dude......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. George

I've called the shop to discuss the job twice, and was told that the barrel was bad.
Your thoughts.................
</div></div>

hmmm. seems like you got his thoughts already.

what an asshat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Dude...... </div></div>

Well at least he isn't one of the guys that claims "sub 1/2" MOA ALL DAY" or "I shot a 1/18th MOA group".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Dude...... </div></div>

Well at least he isn't one of the guys that claims "sub 1/2" MOA ALL DAY" or "I shot a 1/18th MOA group". </div></div>

hmmmmmm..... points awarded

be prepared for a smattering of insults hurled your way. whether your complaint is legitimate or not. possibly not the most tactically sound way to go about this. and no, I don't mean tactically in the mall ninja sense. Im talking interpersonal tactics. either way good luck
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. George
I have an issue to discuss with you.</div></div>
...here, in the most public of places.

i thought that a phone call which i did twice and was told that it was a bad barrel?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. George
I have an issue to discuss with you. I had a rifle worked on by the shop. It is a remington 308 SPS AAC-SD. I had your shop bedd it in a new Manners stock, blueprint the action and bolt, set the barrel back 1 thread and put a match chamber in it, crown the barrel (didn't happen)and put a badger break on it.
It was shooting a 1.5 to 2.0 iinch group prior to the work. know it is shooting a 6.0 to 7.0 inch group.
I've called the shop to discuss the job twice, and was told that the barrel was bad. I am using the same scope with the action screws torqued to spec, rings and base torqued to spec.
I was shooting FGMM 168. I have tried FGMM 165 and 168, and southwest 175 SMK.
Your thoughts.................</div></div>

Instead of airing your problem online why dont you call him up to discuss it? Im sure hed be more willing to help you find the problem. At the time the rifle was there you should have had him install a new barrel. So you paid to have all the machine work done to a factory barrel? That gun in factory form should shoot better than 1.5-2.0" groups at 100 yards.

George is a first class guy and I think you should have thought this over. People are less willing to help out other when they get "called out" online.

Also no company is going to have a accuracy guarantee with a factory barrel.

Just going to get a torch job calling people out. I have used GA Precision numerous times and had a couple of issues but a PM and/or email goes further with them.

Just my experience.

try to be objective here... just cuz its GAP don't make it right but, he mighta shoulda gone about this a different way. If it was say, huskemaw he had an issue with would ya'll automatically be jumping to defend huskemaw?????? I think not. seen plenty of members air out dirty laundry with vendors with plenty of support from the SH community. jus sayin'

In before the lock...

George and the crew are top notch and Im sure he'll take care of you.
This probably wasn't the best place or way to voice your complain though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would someone have all that work done and not have a match barrel installed .</div></div>

Exactly, unless he really wanted it done, ive had most smith turn down a blueprint job with a factory barrel. Really a factory gun really just needs a few simple things done. As in the SPS definatly a stock thats bedded, Lapp the lugs for 100% contact and touch up the crown.

I'm assuming that you've exhausted all options with George and Co. before posting this? I see you've posted that you had two conversations about the problem. It sounds very uncharacteristic of the work that GAP is known for. Seems inappropriate to me to call out vendors on forums unless there is absolutely no satisfactory alternative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try to be objective here... just cuz its GAP don't make it right but, he mighta shoulda gone about this a different way. If it was say, huskemaw he had an issue with would ya'll automatically be jumping to defend huskemaw. seen plenty of members air out dirty laundry with vendors with plenty of support from the SH community. jus sayin' </div></div>

I agree. Email and civil discussion go along way. GAP can absolutely make mistakes, but have some class in how you get it taken care of.

I see this working out well for you.

Do you think you have enough !!!!!!!!! in there???????? Even if there was something wrong, w/ your conduct no one in the fucking right mind is going to be willing to touch that rifle!!!!! Good luck!

Who's bringing the popcorn...

Considering GAP makes some of the finest custom rifles that can be had, I might suggest you quit being a whiney drama queen and ask one of the mods to delete your topic for you. Then perhaps listen to what the folks from GAP were telling you, tell them you are really sorry for being an ass and ask them to do what they think needs to be done to your rifle to make it a good shooter.

If you are hoping to get any help bashing GAP on this forum, you are pretty badly mistaken.

I have a problem with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get some class......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think you have enough !!!!!!!!! in there???????? Even if there was something wrong, w/ your conduct <span style="color: #FF0000">no one in the(ir) f*****g right mind is going to be willing to touch that rifle!!!!! </span>Good luck! </div></div>

Why? Im not trying to be an ass, just curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was say, huskemaw he had an issue with would ya'll automatically be jumping to defend huskemaw.</div></div>

True, but ive read a number of satisfied GAP customers to know he does good work. Now if I read how Huskemaw was the best scope out there and had proof and testimonials to back it up, then comes along a unsatisfied customer bashing them I would have to first question the user and not the scope company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think you have enough !!!!!!!!! in there???????? Even if there was something wrong, w/ your conduct <span style="color: #FF0000">no one in the(ir) f*****g right mind is going to be willing to touch that rifle!!!!! </span>Good luck! </div></div>

Why? Im not trying to be an ass, just curious. </div></div>
If you were a gunsmith would you want to work on it; and risk someone climbing on top of the mountain and yelling....?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think you have enough !!!!!!!!! in there???????? Even if there was something wrong, w/ your conduct <span style="color: #FF0000">no one in the(ir) f*****g right mind is going to be willing to touch that rifle!!!!! </span>Good luck! </div></div>

Why? Im not trying to be an ass, just curious. </div></div>
If you were a gunsmith would you want to work on it; and risk someone climbing on top of the mountain and yelling....? </div></div>

I see your point. If this situation is as the OP says it is I'm sure GAP will fix it and I would most certainly hope the OP would yell from the mountain that GAP came through as they should and as so many have become accustomed to. If they fix the problem and the OP doesnt give credit where credit is due, well then we shall see the root of the problem in alio

Btw, thanks for fixing my gramar; and yes, English is my second language!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Btw, thanks for fixing my gram(m)ar; and yes, English is my second language!
grin.gif
</div></div>

HAHA, I've noticed you are fluent and explicative-ese

I didnt realize that snipershide was a direct link to g.a.p, and that this is where you need to go to contact him. cool.
For a buisness like gap this is much easier than a phone or an email account. Maybe if enough people see this you will get free work done

If it was shooting that bad with the Remington factory barrel you should of brought it up with the dealer or Remington before taking it to GAP.

What are you accomplishing by posting here?

I am still surprised they did all of that work on a factory barrel. I'm also surprised even if they had, they didn't advise him heavily against it as their personal disclaimer.(maybe they did?)

I agree that this was a terrible way to go about it, and you might have hurt yourself more than you could have helped. Best of luck to you.

I'm no GAP fanboy, but I don't care for open bashing of this sort as I don't believe it accomplishes anything at this point. Its like calling a cook an asshole publicly in his own house, then asking him to take your food back to the kitchen to fix it, even if it maybe wasn't his fault in the first place. Would you still eat it?

maybe you should have tried all caps TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure this is not going as you expected,

#1 this doesnt seem possible 1.5-2.0, and now 6-7" groups... I CALL BS ON THIS

#2 I would be willing to bet this is not the WHOLE story...

I have never dealt with GA precision or owned one of their rifles, but they are a highly rated shop and your problem doesnt seem possible from any shop, nuch less one of the highest rated in the country.

I can tell you that I'm the biggest pain in the a$$ customer GAP has ever seen. When my rifle was there I changed my mind so many times about the build. Each time I called they either took care of me then or called back within 24 hours. I am very hard to please yet I feel they did a super job on my only custom rifle. That and their customer service was excellent!

Who told you the barrel was bad and how did they come to that conclusion?

All that being said what ammo are you using? 1.5-2.0 sucks! Did you look over the rifle to make sure it's not something on your end like a loose scope or base? Yes it happened to me on my Savage. I forgot to torque it down. I felt about 2 foot tall when the gunsmith called and told me what it was. Are the action screws loose?

Send George a polite email and give him a day or two to respond. If it's a GAP issue he will make things right if you give him the chance.

I think it's a little late for a polite email; perhaps some sort of sexual favors?? I am pretty certain George is straight and I don't know your gender but it's worth a try!
grin.gif

I've never talked to this guy, Noone here would have told him "its a bad barrel". It takes all kinds I guess. Sombody having fun on a Wednesday night???

All in favor of Cajun shooter being banned say AYE.