• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GAP VS SURGEON

Gunny81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2012
OK
Is Surgeon that much better to justify costing that much more? I'm gonna have another rifle built and haven't shot a surgeon anything yet. Is it worth the extra? What's the difference if any in the actions?

Re: GAP VS SURGEON

Yes and No. If you just want to own a Surgeon then yes, it probably is worth it to YOU. If you are just looking for a bad ass rig, pick which ever company can deliver it to you first.

**PS, I'm a Surgeon fan
smile.gif
so it's worth it to me.

They are both awesome guns. GAP builds off surgeon actions too. The surgeon action is more then the defiance built gap Templar I have both and I am positive u cannot go wrong with either of them. Wade and crew builds a great gun as does George and crew. Buy and be merry

I'm not biased towards either. I agree that both are badass rigs. I've heard tons of reviews about GAP and Surgeon. Does it matter much except for resale value? I've only got 9 customs and only one was a used crusader. It shoots great considering I had to swap barrels. $4K ain't nothin to joke about, so I'm just considering the options. If it's worth the extra investment, then I'll go the latter.

Yes, in my opinion I think it matters. To me, you just don't see AS MANY factory built Surgeon rifles floating around. I feel there are many more GAP's out there then factory Surgeons.

Neither one will be more accurate, they will both probably be 1/2 or better guns.

That's my assumption. I'm tryin to fill out the "gap" if you will in my cartridge collection. How bout a surgeon action on a bartlien, built by GAP in 7 AM?? It's the perfect Heinz 57 of the gun world. Lol!

I've never owned a gun but shot several. I've also shot a couple factory Surgeons. I have a Surgeon built by S.A.C. and Precision Weapons Systems. I'm bias toward Surgeon anything.

Just in case you want the top of the food chain there are 2 Gradous Built Surgeons in the forsale section. One in 308 and the other in 260. They are both BADASS!

I'm leanin towards surgeon for the simple fact that I don't have one, and they're made 100 miles from me. I love buggin my smiths. lol
crazy.gif

While they both build great guns and I have owned several of both, I have went completely to surgeon and here is why:

1. You can actually get a gun in a couple of months and they may have what you want in stock.

2. I have never been told that they are too busy to give me an update on a build. cannot say the same for GAP.

3. their actions are the cats ass.

4. Stephen and Wade have great customer service and are always willing to spend a few minutes with you for questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just in case you want the top of the food chain there are 2 Gradous Built Surgeons in the forsale section. One in 308 and the other in 260. They are both BADASS! </div></div>

+1

If I wasn't days away from going to build my 6.5x47L with Mr. Gradous, I would be all over that SWEET .260 in the for sale section!

You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted. </div></div>The GAP Templar action is tighter in the raceway and lockup then the Surgeon. The integrated recoil lug and rail is a double edge sword. If you damage either, repairing them could be an issue which is why most manufacturers of actions don't integrate them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted. </div></div>The GAP Templar action is tighter in the raceway and lockup then the Surgeon. The integrated recoil lug and rail is a double edge sword. If you damage either, repairing them could be an issue which is why most manufacturers of actions don't integrate them.</div></div>

How are you going to damage them? If they get damaged they go back in for replacement is what I would say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted. </div></div>The GAP Templar action is tighter in the raceway and lockup then the Surgeon. The integrated recoil lug and rail is a double edge sword. If you damage either, repairing them could be an issue which is why most manufacturers of actions don't integrate them.</div></div>

How are you going to damage them? If they get damaged they go back in for replacement is what I would say. </div></div>

I can honestly say i've never heard of a steel rail or a recoil lug being damaged during use to the point it affected the use of a rifle... Has anyone? I have had a seperate rail come loose during use though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted. </div></div>The GAP Templar action is tighter in the raceway and lockup then the Surgeon. The integrated recoil lug and rail is a double edge sword. If you damage either, repairing them could be an issue which is why most manufacturers of actions don't integrate them. </div></div>

I would like to see what it would take to damage one. There is a reason the Surgeon is not as tight in the raceway. Less chance of the bolt sticking and not being able to operate the action. I have not used the Templar so I am not speaking about that action, but I had a defiance(Not the Templar) that was tight in the raceways and sand at a local match locked the damn thing up to then point I had to kick it open. I know GAP has them made to their specifications and George has plenty of experience, so they probably don't experience the same issues I had with my Defiance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

How are you going to damage them? If they get damaged they go back in for replacement is what I would say. </div></div>

I can honestly say i've never heard of a steel rail or a recoil lug being damaged during use to the point it affected the use of a rifle... Has anyone? I have had a seperate rail come loose during use though... </div></div>If you damage an integrated rail, they can't replace it without replacing the entire action. I think in "normal use" (Non LE or Mil) that is probably true. I have damaged a rail and had to replace it (Yes I was a dumbass).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted. </div></div>The GAP Templar action is tighter in the raceway and lockup then the Surgeon. The integrated recoil lug and rail is a double edge sword. If you damage either, repairing them could be an issue which is why most manufacturers of actions don't integrate them. </div></div>

I would like to see what it would take to damage one. There is a reason the Surgeon is not as tight in the raceway. Less chance of the bolt sticking and not being able to operate the action. I have not used the Templar so I am not speaking about that action, but I had a defiance(Not the Templar) that was tight in the raceways and sand at a local match locked the damn thing up to then point I had to kick it open. I know GAP has them made to their specifications and George has plenty of experience, so they probably don't experience the same issues I had with my Defiance.
</div></div>While I like shooting long range, I am not a competitive shooter. I own a templar action and a surgeon. The GAP gun has functioned flawlessly since I owned it (bought it used). I bought a used surgeon as well and have had two issues with it. The Jewell trigger it came with would gum up and I replaced it. I had difficulty operating the bolt on a crappy weather trip.

Both GAP and Surgeon make very good products. Both companies support the community here in multiple ways. I have read countless threads from people who have never had issues with any of their guns.

I responded to this thread and gave what I believed to be accurate information about the actions and why they are designed a certain way. I am not playing favorites, just pointing out potential (if unlikely) pitfalls.

[/quote]If you damage an integrated rail, they can't replace it without replacing the entire action. I think in "normal use" (Non LE or Mil) that is probably true. I have damaged a rail and had to replace it (Yes I was a dumbass). [/quote]

What did you do to a steel rail on your rifle that it could not longer be used/function?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>If you damage an integrated rail, they can't replace it without replacing the entire action. I think in "normal use" (Non LE or Mil) that is probably true. I have damaged a rail and had to replace it (Yes I was a dumbass). [/quote]

What did you do to a steel rail on your rifle that it could not longer be used/function? [/quote]I was in the garage and was going to install the scope. I wasn't using a gun vise and the rifle dropped and struck another piece of metal with a sharp edge. The rail itself cracked and one of the teeth got dinged to the point that I couldn't get the scope ring to slide over it. (hence the I was a dumbass)

To the OP, you are buying the pinnacle of custom tactical rifles regardless of the decision you make. It's a win/win plain and simple. To try and compare and contrast other than to make nit picky arguments is stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ut755ln</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InkedIan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>If you damage an integrated rail, they can't replace it without replacing the entire action. I think in "normal use" (Non LE or Mil) that is probably true. I have damaged a rail and had to replace it (Yes I was a dumbass). </div></div>

What did you do to a steel rail on your rifle that it could not longer be used/function? [/quote]I was in the garage and was going to install the scope. I wasn't using a gun vise and the rifle dropped and struck another piece of metal with a sharp edge. The rail itself cracked and one of the teeth got dinged to the point that I couldn't get the scope ring to slide over it. (hence the I was a dumbass) [/quote]

You cracked a steel rail by dropping it?? That sounds like a poor quality rail. I would hope a surgeon action wouldn't crack(or even ding it bad) if you dropped it! Just seems very unlikely that you could damage an intergated rail to the point it was useless even with rough conditions. On the other hand I know at non-intergrated can loosen under heavy use. Not trying to argue with you but I mostly see the intergrated rail as a benefit. Just my opinion.

+1 what Mike said. I either own or have owned Surgeon built rifles, GAP build rifles on Surgeon and Badger actions and AIs. All three are great, accurate, rugged rifles and you can't go wrong with any of them. I have shot them all in field matches with zero issues, except my natural ineptitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the OP, you are buying the pinnacle of custom tactical rifles regardless of the decision you make. It's a win/win plain and simple. To try and compare and contrast other than to make nit picky arguments is stupid. </div></div>

Own both.....you CAN'T shoot the difference.....IF there is a difference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just buy an Accuracy International and call it a day. </div></div>

Have done this as well also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunny81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Surgeon that much better to justify costing that much more? I'm gonna have another rifle built and haven't shot a surgeon anything yet. Is it worth the extra? What's the difference if any in the actions? </div></div>

Keeping Same for Same.....

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-hospitaller.html

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/rifles

Not seeing "that much more"...??

Get the Hospitaller, its the same thing and Cheaper...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Hospitaller, its the same thing and Cheaper... </div></div>

When do you want it?

How do you want it to be built?

I don't want one, it was a suggestion. It doesn't have to be a Hospitaller, GAP will odviously build rifles to any spec with a Surgeon Action. BUT, if I were to buy one or the other I would go with a GAP because they cost less. If I wanted one tomorrow I would buy a Surgeon off their website.

I've owned 2 GAPS and NOW own 2 Surgeons. NO, the Surgeons are not worth any premium over GAP.

Surgeon is not really a "make to order" custom shop. GAP will make you just what you want, and will have equal or better function and accuracy. Also GAPs hold their value batter.

Surgeon actions are 1st rate, but GAP will build you just exactly what you want with a Surgeon action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunny81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Surgeon that much better to justify costing that much more? I'm gonna have another rifle built and haven't shot a surgeon anything yet. Is it worth the extra? What's the difference if any in the actions? </div></div>

I own 2 AI's and love them. Now a GAP chambered barrel on my 338LM makes it even better than it was new out of the box.

One thing is for certain. I've dealt with many gunsmith's,but GA Precision has done the best work and have built the most accurate rifles I've ever fired. Unfortunately, they are very busy. Patience is a virtue-one I really don't possess.But I can say,any project you give to them is worth the wait.

GAP=NO disappointment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't really go wrong either way. Surgeon makes a great rifle and if the parts they use are acceptable to you it's a great way to go. They are a what they build is what you get company. If you are looking for a rifle that is built to your exact specifications then Surgeon is out. You will have to go with GAP or another builder.

If you go with GAP or another builder, I would highly recommend you go with a Surgeon action. The integral rail and lug is a great benefit to the Surgeon action. I like to support the local guy's as well. We are lucky enough to have some of the best rifle builder's in the country right in our backyard. If Wade and Stephen don't have what you are looking for give John Beanland or Matt Perry a call. I shoot Surgeon factory rifles, but John or Matt would get my business if Surgeon did not have what I wanted. </div></div>

+1 for Beanland Custom, Jon is GTG, check http://beanlandrifles.com/

GAP dont make actions
Templar is a defiance action

Defiance makes actions for many of the Top names
but they are all defiance actions with different name

Give credit where its due

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP dont make actions

Give credit where its due </div></div>

This is not a true statement. Defiance Machine does not make their action for their customers. Defiance Machine makes their customers actions for their customers. Each of the big names has their own idea of what their actions should be, some more unique than others.

You run a Defiance action with your branding on it

You selected from a list of options offered by Defiance on their basic action.
Same options that I can select when I order from them.
Your action as you call it, is a Defiance action with your selected options and your branding. Trying to define it as your creation or something more than relabeling is misleading and untrue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You run a Defiance action with your branding on it

Your action as you call it, is a Defiance action with your selected options and your branding. Trying to define it as your creation or something more than relabeling is misleading and untrue.

</div></div>

I don't think you have a clue what Mike does or who he works for, right?

Popcorn.....Oh, and cerveza.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You run a Defiance action with your branding on it

</div></div>

PM sent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your right i cant read his Sig line

</div></div>

From one Texan to another. Just drop it. PM me your location. Maybe we can go shoot one of these days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlackOps Tech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You run a Defiance action with your branding on it

</div></div>

You're full of crap and showing your Internet ignorance. </div></div>

Mike, yet another "expert" who knows more about your rifles than you do.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunny81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Surgeon that much better to justify costing that much more? I'm gonna have another rifle built and haven't shot a surgeon anything yet. Is it worth the extra? What's the difference if any in the actions?</div></div>

I have nothing but good things to say about Stephen and the folks at Surgeon Rifles. They will take good care of you.

A spec'd out rifle with a Surgeon action will cost about $4500 brand new from GAP, Surgeon, or Gradous. I don't think there is much difference between the vendors from a price point once you consider how much you will be spending on the entire scoped system. Instead of focusing on the action and the cost, concentrate instead on what features and specs you want your rifle to have and go with the builder that will provide them to you.

Time is a factor too. I have heard of people waiting a year to get a rifle from GAP. It took me two months to get my Scalpel from Surgeon.

By the way, if you are in the market for a Defiance Machine type action, I recommend you take a look at Mark Gordon from Short Action Customs. A friend of mine just purchased a melonited barreled action with his Alpha II action chambered in .260 rem and it shoots groups the size of my pinkie nail. Took him 2 1/2 months to get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GAP dont make actions

Give credit where its due </div></div>

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-templar-action.html

Lack of accreditation? No.

we have a great relationship with Surgeon as-well, noted by the fact we utilized the 591 on one of our premiere rifles--and likewise--without talking for the folks at Surgeon---they seem supportive of the use of their action on our Hospitaller rifle.

Specifically responding to nexusfire--I am well aware that not being able to get status checks on a rifle sucks--for many of our customers it is a very large investment, and to not have contact during the build process is one of the most frequently noted concerns from our customers---we're discussing possibilities of changing the policy of no status checks--but at this time-- do not have the man hours that would make status checks a possibility--however, we do try to offer realistic timeframes which are well buffered for a wide range of variables.

If you have suggestions to making our process work better for you---please pm or email me--we are defiantly open to bettering ourselves.

I know a guy that would be willing to work there updating daily status tracker that is open to view online, jus sayin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a guy that would be willing to work there updating daily status tracker that is open to view online, jus sayin</div></div>

We can talk after the restraining order expires. Just sayin' ;x

I had a GAP built with a Surgeon 591 action several years ago before the Hospitaler arrived. It is the best of both worlds! VERY accurate, rock solid, built by the team at GAP . . . What more could you want? JaxOps

Surgeon's delivery time is a function of what you want and their production schedule. And, again, they don't build to order. This is a significant reason for the time difference. I love my scalpels, But they weren't built to my specs. My last rifle, I asked for a 24.5" barrel. I got a 23". Works fine, but different experience from GAP. Try ordering something with a non-Kreiger barrel and see how that goes.

Again, I love my 2 scalpels. But GAP and Surgeon are different animals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Time is a factor too. I have heard of people waiting a year to get a rifle from GAP. It took me two months to get my Scalpel from Surgeon.

</div></div>

Even if there were a minimal accuracy difference between the two could you shoot the difference? Do what Mike said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon's delivery time is a function of what you want and their production schedule. And, again, they don't build to order. This is a significant reason for the time difference.</div></div>

We might be splitting hairs here, but I concede that Surgeon does not offer all of the options and customization features you can get at GAP. The bottom line is that if you are particular to a certain spec or level of customization, it will probably take more time.

If you are, for example, dead set on a 1086 chambered in 280 Rem in a McMillan HTG stock and a fluted sporter Bartlein barrel with a 1086 action, Surgeon rifles would probably not be doing your build.