• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garbage groups

Montyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2020
I took my .308 out shooting today for just the second time. The first time out it put 5 rounds in an inch at 50 yards but then opened up at 100 yards to about 2 or 3 inches. I put a lot of the blame for this on me, the walking feet on my harris bipod and the shitty filling in the rear bag I was using. I got spike feet for the bipod so it stays put and I can load it a little and new filling for the rear bag that doesn't just collapse under the slightest of tension. This time my groups were the same as before at 100 yards and I felt far more steady. I noticed that the spent cases have 2 scratches on the mouth from the feed ramps, but otherwise no signs of damage. I've got a Faxon 20" heavy fluted barrel and read a thread somewhere about them sometimes having sharp feed ramps, but people were able to fix them. Im kinda nervous to go at my new barrel with a file or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Or should I even be worried about it?

Attachments

• 1597532979946233784640924099068.jpg
    1597532979946233784640924099068.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200814_140246.jpg
    20200814_140246.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 109
2moa at 50yds and 2moa at 100yds sounds consistent to me. Chamber a round and dont fire It. See what the bullet looks like as that’ll tell you if the feed ramp being burred is causing your issues or if it’s something else.

I took my .308 out shooting today for just the second time. The first time out it put 5 rounds in an inch at 50 yards but then opened up at 100 yards to about 2 or 3 inches. I put a lot of the blame for this on me, the walking feet on my harris bipod and the shitty filling in the rear bag I was using. I got spike feet for the bipod so it stays put and I can load it a little and new filling for the rear bag that doesn't just collapse under the slightest of tension. This time my groups were the same as before at 100 yards and I felt far more steady. I noticed that the spent cases have 2 scratches on the mouth from the feed ramps, but otherwise no signs of damage. I've got a Faxon 20" heavy fluted barrel and read a thread somewhere about them sometimes having sharp feed ramps, but people were able to fix them. Im kinda nervous to go at my new barrel with a file or something. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? Or should I even be worried about it?

If you're not happy with that accuracy, you might just want to try another match ammo as well, see if you barre likes it better.

IMO, large frame gas guns are the hardest guns to shoot precision wise. I don't own one but have shot various rifles over the years and it was always a more difficult time "feeling good" behind the rifle.

Reactions: Montyman
only you can prevent forest fires
1597548934433.png

and always remember if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball never forget the 5 D's of dodge ball
1. Dodge,
2. Duck
3. Dip
4. Dive
5. Dodge
🤪

Last edited:
The long scratches are not from the feed ramp, but from the sharp corner of the locking lugs on the barrel extension. That’s normal, and may wear in with use. As said above, 2moa is 2moa. Could be you (gas guns are hard to shoot). Could be the gun (gas guns tend to be harder to build accurately, dollar for dollar compared to bolt guns). Maybe it doesn’t like the ammo. Try the fgmm 168, Hornady match is good too. That said, what are your goals for the rifle?

I tried out federal 168 grain and Hornady 178 grain, along with the federal 175s. They all shot about the same. I guess even knowing that a gas gun would be inherently trickier to tune in and get super acurate, being fairly new to precision shooting, I had hoped for closer to one MOA. I don't have many long ranges near me. The longest only getting out to about 600, but I'd like to be able to eventually take it out around 1000.

I tried out federal 168 grain and Hornady 178 grain, along with the federal 175s. They all shot about the same. I guess even knowing that a gas gun would be inherently trickier to tune in and get super acurate, being fairly new to precision shooting, I had hoped for closer to one MOA. I don't have many long ranges near me. The longest only getting out to about 600, but I'd like to be able to eventually take it out around 1000.

What kind of advice were you looking for again?

What kind of advice were you looking for again?
Originally I was concerned about the scratches on the case maybe being one of my issues. I guess now I'm pretty interested in any acurizing tips or tricks I could do to squeeze a little more out of the rifle.

It couldn't possibly be you who needs to improve?
There's definitely a lot on my end to improve. I was just focusing on the rifle here since its a lot less subjective than my shortcomings behind it, but if you have some good pointers there I'm also interested to hear them. I know I'm new to this so I'm eager to learn as much as I can.

There's definitely a lot on my end to improve. I was just focusing on the rifle here since its a lot less subjective than my shortcomings behind it, but if you have some good pointers there I'm also interested to hear them. I know I'm new to this so I'm eager to learn as much as I can.
Every noob falls for the easy button of buying shit for their rifle to "make it more accurate"

Sign up and pay for the online lessons elsewhere on this site. And they go shoot to apply them.

Reactions: ormandj and Krob95
Let a known good shooter shoot you rifle, if that shooter delivers 1 MOA groups you know what you need to do.

Precision shooting and golf are very similar, the best equipment in the world won't make up for poor technique and lack of practice.

Let a known good shooter shoot you rifle, if that shooter delivers 1 MOA groups you know what you need to do.

Precision shooting and golf are very similar, the best equipment in the world won't make up for poor technique and lack of practice.
this^ definitely have a proven shooter shoot the rifle. If you both are 2moa then maybe a different barrel is in order. If he shoots it better, you may benefit from the online training or taking a legit class. And a ton of practice.

Reactions: ormandj
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.
step 1. Take barrel off and throw it in the trash
Step 2. Buy better barrel.
I fell for the high price of a faxon barrel and expected accuracy. Both were 2-3” barrels at 100 yards. All they are are doing is charging $200 plus for a $75 barrel.
I’ve learned to call Theresa at CLE.

I would put more priority on your fundamentals of shooting than the rifle. Good fundamentals can make a lousy rifle look better than it is... but no amount of accuracy can make up for poor fundamentals.

IF you think it doesn't matter, it does. IF you think you've mastered it, you haven't. Its all a combination of little things you do... and they all need to work together in harmony. Simply getting behind a rifle, obtaining a clear sight picture and slowly pulling the trigger is NOT going to yield you the amazing results you desire....but it will get you about 2moa lol

That being said, if the rifle sucks, then obviously try to fix it. Like others have said, ask a better shooter to try it out. My local gun club has multiple amateur and professional shooters who shoot F-class and/or PRS. I ask them for advice a lot about DOPE, reloading, etc.