• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Foretrex 701 Problems

John MH

Registered from UK
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2018
I have a Garmin 701 that I have unsuccessfully tried to load profiles on from AB Profile Loader, no clear instructions anywhere to be found :-(

I now think that somehow I have messed it up as now that I do have some profiles on there and they are exactly the same as my Kestrel Elite the solutions are wildly different with odd elevations and windage calculations. I've check the same parameters on my AB Mobile App and they are clearly different. Is there a way to reload the AB Engine onto the Garmin? I've tried reseting it but that did not seem to work, is there a way to do a full factory rest that would load the original firmware on so I can go back to square one.

Remember, you have to offload the basic dummy profile loaded on the device to the Profile loader on your computer to "unlock" the AB engine. After that, it's a piece of cake to move profiles around.

Also, in the profile loader, in the upper right hand file folder icon, you have to navigate (ala Windows v3.1 method) to get to the profile directory on the device. Retarded, I know. But once set, it should remain the default.

Remember, you have to offload the basic dummy profile loaded on the device to the Profile loader on your computer to "unlock" the AB engine. After that, it's a piece of cake to move profiles around.

Also, in the profile loader, in the upper right hand file folder icon, you have to navigate (ala Windows v3.1 method) to get to the profile directory on the device. Retarded, I know. But once set, it should remain the default.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but you might like to know, this is still the way it needs to be done. I just acquired a 701 unit and without your guide, I would've been, well....f*cked. Unbelievable how poor the interface and lack of instructions from AB are. Feels like a case of 'half-arsed is close enough...'. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write this stuff down. Much appreciated.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Recently ran into some fun with the 701, I built a new PC and went looking to get the AB loader software and couldn't find it anywhere on the applied ballistics website. The link for the 701 in the store is a 404 page not found
ab_404.PNG

Luckily Kestrel has a copy linked on their website.

Their website redesign and domain splits have broken a ton of their links. Some bad planning there.

Recently ran into some fun with the 701, I built a new PC and went looking to get the AB loader software and couldn't find it anywhere on the applied ballistics website. The link for the 701 in the store is a 404 page not found
View attachment 7705298

Luckily Kestrel has a copy linked on their website.
I ran into that as well, as I was haplessly wandering around the internet trying to find some sort of instructions before @MarinePMI scribings saved my sorry ass. Problem you may find with the link on the Kestrel page is that it isn't the current builder version, which I think is around v83 or 84 if memory serves - it was included in the AB Analytics package I coughed up for.

AB sure have a weird way of doing business - making stuff really hard to find and this whole convoluted BS with loading profiles onto the 701 from their profile loader just confirmed it.

I ran into that as well, as I was haplessly wandering around the internet trying to find some sort of instructions before @MarinePMI scribings saved my sorry ass. Problem you may find with the link on the Kestrel page is that it isn't the current builder version, which I think is around v83 or 84 if memory serves - it was included in the AB Analytics package I coughed up for.

AB sure have a weird way of doing business - making stuff really hard to find and this whole convoluted BS with loading profiles onto the 701 from their profile loader just confirmed it.
The Kestral site has 74, that it?

Probably the one I'd go with until AB get their shit together. You can still run profiles through that build to the 701 - just make sure you search for @MarinePMI post on how to do that.

I have Build 83 which was part of the AB Analytics purchase package.

74 is the last one I have and it is ~2 years old.

They may only provide newer versions to paying customers - but that's only speculation on my part.

Given the $300 licensing fee for it on the Kestrel, I'd say I'm a paying customer :)

Reactions: Mr Flannel
You should be able to upgrade your 701 via the Garmin app (requires a special driver, and the proprietary USB cable that came with the 701). They (Garmin) actually handle the update fairly well, compared to the 4500 Kestrel abortion. The 5700 Kestrels update very well now though, so apparently, AB was listening...

No issue updating the unit via the Garmin app from my perspective. It's the transfer of ballistic profiles to/from the unit that was proving challenging until I used your instructions to 'unlock' that.

74 is the last one I have and it is ~2 years old.
You need to go to the (believe it or not) Kestrel website to get the newer Profile Loader. The updated libraries are in the each version of the PL, so you need to keep them up to date if you want to use newer bullets and access fixes in the App.

ETA: My bad. Looks like 74 is the latest version.

Last edited: