• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Tactix Delta With Applied Ballistics

Go to their website and review the manual for AB mobile. It’s really no different from that or a kestrel only how you input is differnt

Yeah I have read that and I am good getting though menus and inputting values. I was expecting it to explain what some of those values did and how to get correct inputs for them. Like setting up SSF how to use Zero height, W1,W2 setting up DSF and MV temp table. I got a a kestrel book and its about the same level of detail. For example I've read some guys leave W1 at 0 and 2 is set to to wind at the target then I heard 1 is an average and two is a gust and then you pick some where in the middle of those values for your adjustment. I called AB and they were helpful but I keep coming up with more questions, so they said leave DSF at zero cuz I don't have a chrono, but SSF defaults at 1 so I don't if thats right without doing a long target test, which I just heard of yesterday. I've done a lot of shooting but just now getting into the weeds and learning all the details of LR shooting and was a little surprised at how much I don't know. Basically looking for something straightforward that gives me a background to get the most out of the AB system.

Yeah I have read that and I am good getting though menus and inputting values. I was expecting it to explain what some of those values did and how to get correct inputs for them. Like setting up SSF how to use Zero height, W1,W2 setting up DSF and MV temp table. I got a a kestrel book and its about the same level of detail. For example I've read some guys leave W1 at 0 and 2 is set to to wind at the target then I heard 1 is an average and two is a gust and then you pick some where in the middle of those values for your adjustment. I called AB and they were helpful but I keep coming up with more questions, so they said leave DSF at zero cuz I don't have a chrono, but SSF defaults at 1 so I don't if thats right without doing a long target test, which I just heard of yesterday. I've done a lot of shooting but just now getting into the weeds and learning all the details of LR shooting and was a little surprised at how much I don't know. Basically looking for something straightforward that gives me a background to get the most out of the AB system.
If you haven’t done a tall target test leave it at 1. Changing it will be bad unless you actually know.
Zero height is the difference between Point of Aim and Point of Impact in your zero, if there is one. This value is usually in inches. Sometimes it’s not possible to get POA to equal POI so this allows us to adjust for that

the wind 1 and wind 2 method you referred to was a way to turn off aerodynamic jump in the kestrel, in the watch it can be turned off so you don’t need to do that if you don’t want to

Reactions: Rooster22
So if you go to your second screen from that page and in the bottom right value select remaining energy does it match what it says your remaining energy is for the distance you set? mine is way off. Range card value seems right but the value on that second data screen is way off. Also does the pressure on your watch match the pressure from the environmental screen in the applied ballistics app? mine is on inches on both fields before someone asks. Thanks I'm just having no luck with this thing

If you haven’t done a tall target test leave it at 1. Changing it will be bad unless you actually know.
Zero height is the difference between Point of Aim and Point of Impact in your zero, if there is one. This value is usually in inches. Sometimes it’s not possible to get POA to equal POI so this allows us to adjust for that

the wind 1 and wind 2 method you referred to was a way to turn off aerodynamic jump in the kestrel, in the watch it can be turned off so you don’t need to do that if you don’t want to
Thanks, wondering if your range card energy value matches the energy value for energy remaining on the second data screen? If you select it as a value. Also if your atmospheric pressures are matching up between the watch the ballistics app if you have auto update on. This thing is making me crazy, pressure shown in AB never leaves 25. something even if I set it to the correct pressure and turn auto update back on it jumps right back to 25. something

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 88
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    600.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I don't anyone that pays attention to energy, not in this context anyway

Even in the hunting context, few are shooting something far enough to worry about it, but I just use windage and elevation not the other stuff, no need for that info in the field.

I have had no issue using it, set up a couple different profiles over the summer and immediately traveled with it, double checked all good as far as my data goes

Garmin finally got me squared away with a fully functioning watch. As someone
New to applied ballistics anyone know a good resource to explain all the variables you can put in?
I don't anyone that pays attention to energy, not in this context anyway

Even in the hunting context, few are shooting something far enough to worry about it, but I just use windage and elevation not the other stuff, no need for that info in the field.

I have had no issue using it, set up a couple different profiles over the summer and immediately traveled with it, double checked all good as far as my data goes
Not saying its needed but we were running some data and selected and it was way off, but looking at the range card value for that distance it seemed right. My concern is it has the option to do it so it should work and if its not what else is gonna be wrong, feel like if its there it should work.

So if you go to your second screen from that page and in the bottom right value select remaining energy does it match what it says your remaining energy is for the distance you set? mine is way off. Range card value seems right but the value on that second data screen is way off. Also does the pressure on your watch match the pressure from the environmental screen in the applied ballistics app? mine is on inches on both fields before someone asks. Thanks I'm just having no luck with this thing
Did you read post 89? You aren’t the only noticing the energy numbers. But again as lowlight said does it matter? Part of me agrees with you the other with lowlight. With you I agree if this simple equation is wrong what else is wrong?

No, i get wrong is wrong, if they provide data it's in everyone's interest to be correct

But you have to look at what they use to calculate it too, I never bothered to look at what they use to arrive at those numbers

No, i get wrong is wrong, if they provide data it's in everyone's interest to be correct

But you have to look at what they use to calculate it too, I never bothered to look at what they use to arrive at those numbers
Isn’t the garmin ballistics guy on here now? I can’t remember his username

Did you read post 89? You aren’t the only noticing the energy numbers. But again as lowlight said does it matter? Part of me agrees with you the other with lowlight. With you I agree if this simple equation is wrong what else is wrong?
I had seen it before but didn’t think it was an issue on mine. Mine is in the hundreds of footpounds where it’s should be 1500 to 1700. And pressure doesn’t seem to work. I envy Lowlights ability to ignore it but now that I know it doesn’t work and my pressure doesn’t I can’t IGnore it.

What is the pressure issue ?

I am only ignoring the energy values, don't care about those
I’m fine if they are working on the energy issue but I bought this to not have to pack a kestrel. I know it’s not as good but I can estimate wind fairly well. On mine the atmospheric pressure won’t update when you put it on auto update. Always 25. Even if I update it to correct pressure if I turn auto back on it goes back to 25.

I just checked mine they are all correct,

I have the Tempe too which I only connect when I am on the range, but it's all correct environment wise

maybe you have a bad watch, sensors are fouled?

It's been super straight forward

I just checked mine they are all correct,

I have the Tempe too which I only connect when I am on the range, but it's all correct environment wise

maybe you have a bad watch, sensors are fouled?

It's been super straight forward
Thanks, thats what I wanted to see if other people's are working. Feel like I'm going crazy or Garmin hates because this will the 4th watch, that said Garmin has been great about replacing em. First two were totally separate issues never even made it to seeing if the ballistics side worked.

Hey guys, just picked up my tactix delta Christmas present to me. As I'm poking around in the watch and garmin apps along with trying to get my search strings worded correctly to find the information im looking for. So far im liking the watch and its abilities. I pretty much picked it up to keep from having to lug around so many different accessories.

What im looking to find out is about loading or adding profiles to the AB software. Is there an easy way to say transfer my profiles from my phones AB app, or load them in any sort of way? I've got a long road ahead of me if I have to tap tap tap click click on these watch buttons.

Thanks

Hey guys, just picked up my tactix delta Christmas present to me. As I'm poking around in the watch and garmin apps along with trying to get my search strings worded correctly to find the information im looking for. So far im liking the watch and its abilities. I pretty much picked it up to keep from having to lug around so many different accessories.

What im looking to find out is about loading or adding profiles to the AB software. Is there an easy way to say transfer my profiles from my phones AB app, or load them in any sort of way? I've got a long road ahead of me if I have to tap tap tap click click on these watch buttons.

Thanks
There is allegedly a companion app being built to allow it. Might just have to be patient or start tapping.

There is allegedly a companion app being built to allow it. Might just have to be patient or start tapping.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I'm slowly tapping away, but geez what a "small" pain it is. Oh well, little by little and one day I'll have it implemented.

I use the Fenix 5x for all sorts of functions. Barometric pressure, altitude, heart rate, O2 sat, VO2 max, maps, tracks, and tracking workouts. When I head into a new area hunting I usually use OnX tracking, but the fenix is great for tracking sunup and sundown times locally, weather it gets from your phone, and you can see notifications for communication as well.

One of the nicest features, and I am not sure if this delta watch does it, but interfacing with an inreach mini. I carry one of those in my pack since we are often out of cell service out here on the west side (not such an issue where I came from). Having the ability to text via sat-phone from your handheld, see the communications on your wrist, and have it AUTOMATICALLY initiate an emergency call if it thinks you are dying, is pretty awesome. For example, if its accelerometers see you go from damn fast to stopped and it senses irregularities in vitals, it will start a countdown, and if it gets to zero, it initiates the inreach beacon.

I spend a lot of time in the wilderness alone, and I like that function. It has only done it once (I hit my watch arm really hard catching a fall on a rock) and I disabled the countdown.

So I mean the AB functionality is cool, but the fenix has a lot to offer (and I am sure the delta carries many of those features).

Shit one of you just mentioned it, but I am going back to the Navy soon, and it just occurred to me that I won't be able to wear this thing at my duty station. damn.

Does anyone know if zero height and zero offset are inverse data entry like the 701? As an example, shooting suppressed and actual poi is 2" high. Is that input as 2, or -2?

Hi. Do any of you know if the ab program will "unlock" more ab functions? I saw a video from a kestrel, where one could input target size, and also get "speed drop" calculated.
I am not sure if I understood all of it, but it would be nice to have on the watch as well.
My tempe seems to connect and update whenever I am nearby the sensor and use the watch.

@DocUSMCRetired I have a couple of questions that hopefully you can answer. I see the Kestrel can transfer data back and forth between the Fury HD5000 AB (which gets the atmospherics from the Kestrel) and Kestrel (getting the range) providing a firing solution in both. It looks like the Tactix Delta can only receive range data at this time. Do you know/think there will be a firmware update at some point where the watch will update the binos as well like the Kestrel? Second question is if the firmware updates on the 701 and Delta fixed the zero height/offset so that the data inputs are as they should be, or are they still inverse (2" high is a -2 on the zero height for example, or 2" left is a +2)? Thanks for any insights.

Hi. Do any of you know if the ab program will "unlock" more ab functions? I saw a video from a kestrel, where one could input target size, and also get "speed drop" calculated.
I am not sure if I understood all of it, but it would be nice to have on the watch as well.
My tempe seems to connect and update whenever I am nearby the sensor and use the watch.
Not sure what you mean, the AB System on the watch adds a ton of features but doesn't unlock anything.

@DocUSMCRetired I have a couple of questions that hopefully you can answer. I see the Kestrel can transfer data back and forth between the Fury HD5000 AB (which gets the atmospherics from the Kestrel) and Kestrel (getting the range) providing a firing solution in both. It looks like the Tactix Delta can only receive range data at this time. Do you know/think there will be a firmware update at some point where the watch will update the binos as well like the Kestrel? Second question is if the firmware updates on the 701 and Delta fixed the zero height/offset so that the data inputs are as they should be, or are they still inverse (2" high is a -2 on the zero height for example, or 2" left is a +2)? Thanks for any insights.
The Kestrel and the Garmin can be the host or the secondary. If you set it so the Kestrel or Garmin is the host, then it will use the onboard atmospherics from that device. If you set it to calculate the solution in the Vortex then the Fury 5000AB will use its own onboard atmospherics and get only what it doesn't measure from the other device. For example, if you set the Fury 5000 switch to calculate "in Kestrel" and you are using a Garmin Foretrex 701, then the Temp, Pres, Humidity will be pulled from the watch. Range, DOF, and Inclination will be pulled from Binos. Solution will be calculated in the Watch and displayed on both devices.

Nothing has been changed for zero height at this time on the Garmin.

I think you're talking about the Accuracy 1st functions. These are not currently available in the Tactix.

I think you're talking about the Accuracy 1st functions. These are not currently available in the Tactix.
Yes, that is the functions I was talking about. Thanks for elaborating, I was unsure of how to explain what I was looking for.
Do you know if they will be available in tactic delta in the near future with an update, or ever?

Hey everybody. I learned a lot reading this thread and some others before I decided to buy the tectix Delta SBE.

But what nobody has mentioned so far is the incorrect installation of the display on a large number of watches!

Yet I have bought eight! tactix Delta SBE from different German sellers including the German Garmin shop. And all of them are incorrect assembled. The inlays are slightly twisted clockwise. Some more and some less. The two squares are not directly under the "24" and the Garmin company lettering is of course also slightly twisted and so does the content in the display.

It seems to be only appearing with the solar editions as I have not seen any pictures/videos of tactix Deltas without solar build together incorrectly. The squares are under the 2 and 4 in a perfect line as shown on every marketing render.

I am very unhappy about the fact that Garmin has told me the deviation is within normal production fluctuations.
I mean... What??!! Production fluctuations on a 1,500 $ Watch?! Are they kidding me?

It's almost easier to see the deviation when you have it in real life rather than on a photo. But I've attached two pictures and a marketing render to show what I'm talking about.

So my question for you is, do your watches show the same deviation?

Attachments

• Watch I and II Pic 1.jpg
    Watch I and II Pic 1.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Watch I Pic 5.jpg
    Watch I Pic 5.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 127
  • tactix Delta SBE marketing render.jpg
    tactix Delta SBE marketing render.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 135
Hey everybody. I learned a lot reading this thread and some others before I decided to buy the tectix Delta SBE.

But what nobody has mentioned so far is the incorrect installation of the display on a large number of watches!

Yet I have bought eight! tactix Delta SBE from different German sellers including the German Garmin shop. And all of them are incorrect assembled. The inlays are slightly twisted clockwise. Some more and some less. The two squares are not directly under the "24" and the Garmin company lettering is of course also slightly twisted and so does the content in the display.

It seems to be only appearing with the solar editions as I have not seen any pictures/videos of tactix Deltas without solar build together incorrectly. The squares are under the 2 and 4 in a perfect line as shown on every marketing render.

I am very unhappy about the fact that Garmin has told me the deviation is within normal production fluctuations.
I mean... What??!! Production fluctuations on a 1,500 $ Watch?! Are they kidding me?

It's almost easier to see the deviation when you have it in real life rather than on a photo. But I've attached two pictures and a marketing render to show what I'm talking about.

I think you need help with your OCD. There's a medication out there for you.

It's a digital watch, the 24 hour markings are superfluous to its operation. The entire design intent of the watch faces is to set the fields to display the information you want. Maybe a Sinn would be more to your liking?

Mine looks normal. Works fine too.
4A2E51A6-57E9-4A0D-A50F-F13E61D2FB84.jpeg

It's a digital watch, the 24 hour markings are superfluous to its operation. The entire design intent of the watch faces is to set the fields to display the information you want. Maybe a Sinn would be more to your liking?
My point is that we all don't buy a watch for around 100 or 200 bugs. Or a cheap watch from a beach peddler on a vacation trip.

Garmin would like to attract more interested parties in the luxury sector. So they have to deliver at minimum the same base quality vendors like TAG Heuer, Tissot, Longines or NOMOS deliver, to name just a few which are all in the same price category. For me, basic qualities are high-quality materials and impeccable workmanship, e.g. correct placed displays.

Take a mark instead of the "24". The number doesn't even matter to me. It's just an indicator for the deviation.
And if it doesn't matter to everyone else but me that there is a deviation, that's fine with me. I'm just wondering if it's there.

@TacticalDillhole What watch face are you using in that pic??
Now be aware I have noticed that this watch face will reduce your battery life due to the constant connection to the garmin app required to update your location and pull temps as well as the heartbeat sensor. When I run this I’m getting about 8-10 days between charging. I’m able to take advantage of solar charging while working and that helps me get a few extra days, so sometimes I see as many as 14 days before plugging it in. With a. Generic watch face I can get almost a month easy

Reactions: HeavyAssault
My point is that we all don't buy a watch for around 100 or 200 bugs. Or a cheap watch from a beach peddler on a vacation trip.

Garmin would like to attract more interested parties in the luxury sector. So they have to deliver at minimum the same base quality vendors like TAG Heuer, Tissot, Longines or NOMOS deliver, to name just a few which are all in the same price category. For me, basic qualities are high-quality materials and impeccable workmanship, e.g. correct placed displays.

Take a mark instead of the "24". The number doesn't even matter to me. It's just an indicator for the deviation.
And if it doesn't matter to everyone else but me that there is a deviation, that's fine with me. I'm just wondering if it's there.

It's not a luxury watch and certainly isn't positioned as such. Frankly, $1500US isn't luxury price point territory either. However, I agree it isn't cheap and should be correct. With all that said I think $1500 is gross for this watch and suspect it has to do with AP's licensing. I have a 6X and only paid $800, my wife's 6S was only $700.

Reactions: DocUSMCRetired

I think it's a question of 'Toe-May-Toe', 'Toe-Mat-Toe'. I've spent a lot more than $1,500 on a watch band. Garmin makes mass produced watches for the masses; Patek Philippe makes watches for the luxury sector.

Mine looks normal. Works fine too.
Hi TacticalDillhole, thanks for your reply and the picture. Beside the fact that the lighting conditions are not good enough to see the bezel exactly, it seems to me as if the inlay of your watch is also slightly twisted. If that's ok with you, so is mine.

It's not a luxury watch and certainly isn't positioned as such. Frankly, $1500US isn't luxury price point territory either. However, I agree it isn't cheap and should be correct. With all that said I think $1500 is gross for this watch and suspect it has to do with AP's licensing. I have a 6X and only paid $800, my wife's 6S was only $700.

It seems to be a definition thing when it comes to luxury. Some wouldn't even think about paying more than 500 $ for a watch. Others earn enough money to buy a watches every month... For me personally, a thousand dollars are way enough to expect a very well assembled watch.

With the tactix Delta Solar in mind, the difference should be around 300 Dollar [tactix Delta Solar 1,099.99 USD vs 1,399.99 USD tactix Delta Solar Ballistic Edition]. Consequently anywhere around 50 Dollar for the Applied Ballistics licensing not more. I also read some information about lightly customized hardware for calculating the ballistics data. Maybe that is just a marketing argument for not beeing able to use such a software on the fenix or tactix series. If this information is right that also costs a bit to implement.

And of course I know that Garmin is a mass-producer. They want to make money. That's the world we live in. Companies want to maximize their profits. And I'm ok with it. But sometimes they overdue it.
Don't get me wrong, it is not my first Garmin product and will not be the last, I think. From my point of view, Garmin products cost a little too much in relation to what they deliver. Too often, products are developed at the customer's site. There is simply too little competition in the product segment, in this case surrounding the fenix 6 Pro/Marq/tactix, to push the price down.

I didn't want to trigger a fundamental discussion about luxury and I absolutely accept your views. I appreciate the exchange, maybe I'm a little too nitpicky.

Hi TacticalDillhole, thanks for your reply and the picture. Beside the fact that the lighting conditions are not good enough to see the bezel exactly, it seems to me as if the inlay of your watch is also slightly twisted. If that's ok with you, so is mine.

It seems to be a definition thing when it comes to luxury. Some wouldn't even think about paying more than 500 $ for a watch. Others earn enough money to buy a watches every month... For me personally, a thousand dollars are way enough to expect a very well assembled watch.

With the tactix Delta Solar in mind, the difference should be around 300 Dollar [tactix Delta Solar 1,099.99 USD vs 1,399.99 USD tactix Delta Solar Ballistic Edition]. Consequently anywhere around 50 Dollar for the Applied Ballistics licensing not more. I also read some information about lightly customized hardware for calculating the ballistics data. Maybe that is just a marketing argument for not beeing able to use such a software on the fenix or tactix series. If this information is right that also costs a bit to implement.

And of course I know that Garmin is a mass-producer. They want to make money. That's the world we live in. Companies want to maximize their profits. And I'm ok with it. But sometimes they overdue it.
Don't get me wrong, it is not my first Garmin product and will not be the last, I think. From my point of view, Garmin products cost a little too much in relation to what they deliver. Too often, products are developed at the customer's site. There is simply too little competition in the product segment, in this case surrounding the fenix 6 Pro/Marq/tactix, to push the price down.

I didn't want to trigger a fundamental discussion about luxury and I absolutely accept your views. I appreciate the exchange, maybe I'm a little too nitpicky.

No worries; we could easily be having the same conversation about why does a Mercedes or BMW (a nod I think to your German heritage) cost more than a Chevy when they both fundamentally do the exact same thing? But they are priced quite differently based on the quality (real or perceived) even though that new Chevy may be out of reach for some buyers while others buy the latest 'S' Class every year. It it, however, not realistic to expect the same level of quality between them regardless of whether that Malibu was a stretch.

Reactions: Virtuosity

The 6X Pro Solar can be had for mid to low $900 range. All the Tactical Timmys are getting shafted.

The 6X Pro Solar can be had for mid to low $900 range. All the Tactical Timmys are getting shafted.

Depends on what you're doing with it; I link mine with a Terrapin X and a Tempe which has been working great for me.

P.s. You can get the Tactix Delta on GovX for around $1,250

P.p.s. I do like the Fenix 6 series though, that's what I switched from (a 6 not a 6x)

If only they made one smaller than a hockey puck I wouldn't care if it was slightly askew.
The AB license adds $300 to the price. Even if you paid the $300 fee for AB on another device or two. Double or triple taxation!
And a resting heart rate over 60 isn't all that great. :)

If only they made one smaller than a hockey puck I wouldn't care if it was slightly askew.
The AB license adds $300 to the price. Even if you paid the $300 fee for AB on another device or two. Double or triple taxation!
And a resting heart rate over 60 isn't all that great. :)
Easy. 60-100 is normal. I’m usually around 55. I did just come in from playing with the dogs