• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas cans?

alamo5000

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2020
I live in a pretty rural area and we have two tractors, a kubota 4wd, lawn mowers etc etc. The cans we have now are ok, but some of them have seen better days. I was thinking about replacing them with something like what is shown below. I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on that particular brand (or other brands that could be better), or just any experience with this style of gas can?

I am thinking that these types of cans will in general be a lot easier to manage.

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/vp-motorsport-container-utility-jug/?c=237&

Attachments

• 31_vp_racing_20l_quick_fuel_jug_-_in_action_14.jpg
    31_vp_racing_20l_quick_fuel_jug_-_in_action_14.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 104
I have the answer my friend. They sell these awesome gas cans at Buccees . I saw them and immediately got several of the red and a few of the clear for diesel. They are fantastic and none of that epa garbage on em.

Attachments

• 20221019_151419.jpg
    20221019_151419.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • 20221019_144353.jpg
    20221019_144353.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 129
I live in a pretty rural area and we have two tractors, a kubota 4wd, lawn mowers etc etc. The cans we have now are ok, but some of them have seen better days. I was thinking about replacing them with something like what is shown below. I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on that particular brand (or other brands that could be better), or just any experience with this style of gas can?

I am thinking that these types of cans will in general be a lot easier to manage.

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/vp-motorsport-container-utility-jug/?c=237&
+ 100 on those
Any can with a flame mitigation device is the spawn of Satan ! Which is 99% of cans now .
Only other viable options are the Jerry cans which are expensive .
The tera pumps are really nice for filling certain equipment. They automatically shut off so you can walk away when filling something .

images.jpg

You can find those VP cans on Amazon and get four of them delivered for under $150.

Well I guess that depends how rural you reslly are. But they are all I use for hurricane season. Plus they hold more like 6 gallons each.

If you have a Rural King, their’s are $22 and awesome.

I have 8.

ebb825c33f5f646e1cdbf8b0f3535794243ca9ca_21636003_21636003_image_21636003.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I will be placing an order for a few... eventually.

I have these and vp racing cans. The lc2 are superior with the bottom handle. Makes them way easier to hold up and dump.

If you're moving much diesel a 100 gallon transfer tank pays for itself in short order. Very hard/expensive to find one that's actually dot rated for gas though.

I saw some white ones at Tractor Supply for about $25 bucks. Some of the reviews I saw said they were ok, but not as good as some other brands. The main complaints being on cheaper models the caps leak and/or they have shitty gaskets.

On the other hand the ones at Tractor Supply have a molded in bottom ledge which is very cool as it will make holding them up a lot easier. Not sure if the VP Racing cans have a similar ledge on the bottom.

I saw some white ones at Tractor Supply for about $25 bucks. Some of the reviews I saw said they were ok, but not as good as some other brands. The main complaints being on cheaper models the caps leak and/or they have shitty gaskets.

On the other hand the ones at Tractor Supply have a molded in bottom ledge which is very cool as it will make holding them up a lot easier. Not sure if the VP Racing cans have a similar ledge on the bottom.

VP cans suck to hold. They're only the standard because they were the first and only for a long time.

I have both vp and lc2, and the lc2 is just as thick and heavy on the plastic, but has a bottom handle that makes pouring much easier.

The cheaper ones popping up can be thin like a standard gas can. The race cans are about 1/4" thick and tough as hell. One of my lc2 is over 10 years old and has been launched several times with zero damage that would have blown apart a typical gas can.

I have these and vp racing cans. The lc2 are superior with the bottom handle. Makes them way easier to hold up and dump.

If you're moving much diesel a 100 gallon transfer tank pays for itself in short order. Very hard/expensive to find one that's actually dot rated for gas though.
You want the LC2 cans shown above. I have both the VP and the LC2 cans, and the LC2 are superior. They have two handles... both top and bottom, and the vent screw is placed in a location that is much more functional. They sell a seperate cap with hose as well. Or you can make a hose for a few bucks extra. If you search around online you can find them for ~$30 dollars plus a few for shipping.

Reactions: alchrisr
I have two leftover from my racing days, I don't like them. Filling a mower is so far down there, and requires so little fuel I usually make a mess. On bigger things like a riding mower, lawn or garden tractor the tanks are usually in the 5-ish gallon range so it is a little more easy, but sometime the position you need to be in is a bit rough.

The real issue with gas cans is contamination. Water, dirt are the two biggies. If metal cans rust. Fuel filters on small engines are usually small and getting them plugged is fairly easy. Things like a Mr. Funnel sound like a good idea but really slow things down, that is a you call IMHO. But I do think they work.

As to the little battery powered fuel pumps, I have had bad luck with them. They never seem to live very long not sure why. I finally went to a basic electric fuel pump low pressure and just use a light 12v lithium battery. That has lived for years, and I am not nice to it....well I am nice to the battery.

I want a good plastic can (rust) or some "non rusting" metal. The metal also makes the cans more heavy, that has a real good seal no vents to let stuff in.

I agree the flame garbage in the cans are the devils own, just jab a big screwdriver in its nose a few times and it will not be an issue anymore. As well as using the fuel pump you don't have to worry about the stupid commiefornia fuel can rules where the fuel does not get out. No more dirlling holes in gas cans.

My two bits...a basic fuel pump however long hose you need for both ends, and a small lipo 12v battery, you don't need to hold the cans up anymore.

Everyone loves the VP racing jugs, but I've never really been a fan for normal lawn mower / snow blower use. For a track/race bike or car, yup. Especially when you have race jug holders mounted in your trailer. But transporting them in a car/truck they are more top heavy and you need to secure them to something.

I still have my race jugs and I fill them and then transfer to a couple of smaller no spill cans with the push button spout. I also have metal cans that I like a lot.

If I were starting new, I'd go straight to the metal from Eagle for JustRite

Il Cheapo, nothing fancy, no EPA crap. Wally (China( World is your friend.

39b25700-3c50-4ceb-b8de-8af049990fe7_1.eef0bfbc5c66b5eb367451e4e5e6e26a.jpeg

Sponsored
Best sellerReduced price

Zimtown

Zimtown Portable 20L 5 Gallon Petrol Jerry Can with Spout, Red​

(4.5)4.5 stars out of 81 reviews81 reviews
Now $32.99
was $89.99$89.99
Price when purchased online
Add to cart

Actual Color:Red

Army Green, $32.99$32.99

Currently have a Rural King version of the VP Racing jug, it is awkward to use filling my JD-1025r. What for the life me I cannot understand, how are these engineered modified cans safer to use then what we grew up with, these things spill more fuel by design and leak more fuel by cheap build quality. Finally decided to purchase a name brand metal safety can, tin is so thin on it a paper-staple will probably penetrate it. Are we allowed to use the word penetrate in the pit?

I have the answer my friend. They sell these awesome gas cans at Buccees . I saw them and immediately got several of the red and a few of the clear for diesel. They are fantastic and none of that epa garbage on em.
Whatever you do don't get gas cans with EPA no leak garbage on them. All they do is get clogged, not flow, break and spill all over the place within moments of starting to use it. I have a few old "military" style gas cans like you might see on a WW2 jeep without any pollution control measures. They were over $100 each on amazon back in 2014 when I bought them God knows what they are worth now.

Reactions: OldSalty2
I’ve used Wavian Jerry cans for years. Hold up really well. Sometimes you get what you pay for. They’re expensive now but can take a beating. Inside is coated to prevent corrosion.

Scepter Mil fuel cans. https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/military-water-cans-20l/

Cut the epa nozzle off the end and clamp on a section of hose, or buy the scarry no safety nozzle separately.

Reactions: W54/XM-388 and MJF
Switched to VP cans with upgraded nozzles. The VP knock offs at Tractor Supply are good as well. I bought the nozzles at Amazon if I recall.

Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 8.54.07 AM.png

I’ve used Wavian Jerry cans for years. Hold up really well. Sometimes you get what you pay for. They’re expensive now but can take a beating. Inside is coated to prevent corrosion.

Scepter Mil fuel cans. https://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/military-water-cans-20l/

Cut the epa nozzle off the end and clamp on a section of hose, or buy the scarry no safety nozzle separately.

That is what I use. I have 4 red Valpro brand. Same thing. I got mine before the EPA crap hit them. That nozzle is so much better than the original one though.

I have 2 that ride on edge in brackets in the bed of my pickup for emergencies here in Wyoming. I keep Star Tron fuel stabilizer in them and rotate the fuel out at 2 years.

I hate plastic cans.

IMG_0228.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MJF and W54/XM-388
Check garage sales for older cans that actually work.

Some people are dumb enough to sell them.

i went to a 25 gallon gas caddy, made life so much easier

its as big as i can move on my own if i need to pick it up...without killing myself

I just bought 2 similar to the Zimtowns above on Amazon, Winado. EU spec nozzle is a plain spout no spring loaded damper. I needed the edge lip for the can carrier on my Jeep. The NATO Spec cans have a center ridge. I'm not a fan of the bare metal inside and am looking at POR 15 gas tank sealant to put in them before I fill them later this summer.

Whatever you do don't get gas cans with EPA no leak garbage on them. All they do is get clogged, not flow, break and spill all over the place within moments of starting to use it. I have a few old "military" style gas cans like you might see on a WW2 jeep without any pollution control measures. They were over $100 each on amazon back in 2014 when I bought them God knows what they are worth now.
Yeah they are junk. That's why the buccees ones are so great . They don't have anything on them. No matter what it is, government makes it unusable

The buccees cans are like the old cans. If you have one around you, I highly recommend getting some. They are fantastic and zero mechanisms. A good tube and a good lid that the tub screws in to with an air intake valve. They are great

Last edited:
I like, and have several of the Eagle safety cans for everything except for automobiles. Kinda pricey.
Here's some good info on comparisons, including your VP

Project farm puts a lot of effort into his very through testing.

Reactions: MJF
Th
Switched to VP cans with upgraded nozzles. The VP knock offs at Tractor Supply are good as well. I bought the nozzles at Amazon if I recall.

View attachment 8118698
The plastic elbow that adds a kink to the hose is worth every fucking penny.

They can be had on eBay for less than ten bucks.

I think I bought two for twelve.

Reactions: GUNNER75
Th

The plastic elbow that adds a kink to the hose is worth every fucking penny.

They can be had on eBay for less than ten bucks.

I think I bought two for twelve.
What benefits do those things bring in your opinion?

Anyone use rotopax ?
yea I do.

I have a couple of the 5 gallon packs and a couple of the smaller 2.5 I think they are. I have a 5 gallon one on rotopax mounts in my side by side and the other is just strapped under the front bag on the front rack of my four wheeler, has been there for several years.

they are tough and well built, pretty handy mounting system too. biggest problem is they come with those BS spouts, but rotopax sells the "water" spout for a few bucks (dont remember how much it has been several years since I bought them) but it fixes that problem.

Reactions: Huskydriver