• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas Piston Battle Rifle

eleaf

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm on the hunt for larger caliber (up to .308) gas piston operated rifle that would suffice as both a whoop ass battle rifle and a short-medium range precision rifle depending on the chosen optic.

I'm not opposed to AR designs (AR10), but I'd rather go a different direction initially and revisit the ar designs.

I'm not looking for tack driver accurate, but minute of man accurate out to say 600 or 700 yards.

I'm looking for as short a barrel as possible without having to go class whatever and pay the ATF tax.

Suppressor upgradable is a must.

I'd like to get it around the 2g mark.

If I've left out any other pertinent info, let me know.

Re: Gas Piston Battle Rifle

+1 on the FAL.

Been around for a long time. Like you said, not tack driver accurate (unless you make it into one), but very proven rifle.

Gas 308 with a suppressor is a pain to clean if any kind of blowback system is involved. HK, M14-based, and non-piston ARs will suck to deal with suppressed and short. You'll definitely be wearing dirty glasses after you shoot-even with the HKs.

Dragunov or Romanian PSL-54C would fit your bill: 7.62x54R caliber (with the precision ammo 7N1 - 152gr bullet leaving barrel at 2700fps, comparable to 7.62x51 NATO), minute-of-man accuracy up to 1000m (with the prescribed ammo).

Very simple design and mechanism, very reliable. If you reload - it's recommended to stay in 150gr ballpark for the bullet weight.

Advantage over FAL - you really can repair this one with a ball-peen hammer if need be. Disadvantage compared to FAL - FAL probably would never need ball-peen hammer repairs.

F.N. FAL...but they don't work well if you try to be too cleaver on an extra short barrel...also, alot of ammo is made for longer barrels and uses much slower powder than 7,62 military ball.

EG...Norma hunting and target ammo is designed arround 22-24" rifles and the powder corresponds to this. Port pressure in most semi Automatic rifles is way OTT as the powder is still at peak burn when the bullet passes the gas port. Weak pistons get bent, and gas blow back like AR 10 deliver burning gas into the action.

Just be very aware of that when you buy ammo. In a regular (20") FAL all tested target and hunting ammo is fine..and Port pressure is acceptable although some ammo cannot be made reliable - even with the F.N. system of 10 position gas adjustment.

+1 for the <span style="font-weight: bold">M14</span>

SEI now has new 4 groove, 1:10 twist 16.25" M14 barrels that are set-up to run with sound suppressors.
Mine is being built right now.

I'm wondering why you are dead set on a piston system? If you are shooting with a suppressor you will still get blow back from the gas escape being slowed down.

Gotta go with a FAL or Socom 16 personally.

FN FAL
HK91/PTR-91
M1A

FN FAL-
Battle proven design. Pistol grip and synthetic stock. Adjustable gas system and inexpensive mags that work. Much like a Browning highpower pistol the FAL point naturally and feels great in the hand.SIght are fine for battle use.

HK-
Not exactly gas piston but VERY reliable. Forget it if your a reloader because it rapes your brass IF you can find it. Small on the rear stock but damn rugged. Triggers rival some caulking guns but I still love mine. Easy to attach a Hensoldt scope also.

I list the M1A last. By far the nicest sights and trigger of the bunch. No pistol grip stock and mags are not really cheap anymore. To add a decent stock it will drive the cost up more than the other two.

I have two Fals (Para & regular)PTR-91 and A nice M1A.
You can have more than one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMT 16" 308 MRP upper. That thing is SWEET!!!</div></div>

LMT 308 is not a piston, it is direct gas

I'll throw in a Vote for a Para FAL with a 16-18" barrel. Either would be suitable for your stated requirements. It would be a very compact setup with an AR style Folding stock attached.

FAL is a Hard rifle to beat if have a Reliable Rifle is all you are wanting. They are accurate enough... (Minute of Man) but certainly not a tack driver in their ordinary configurations. It is one of the most widely adapted rifles around the world. Over 120+ countries have used the FAL or a variation, with 90+ at one time using it. That tells me it was a very good design.

If your not set against a DI gun the Larue or the LMT would be a good option to look into. Both will provide better accuracy and honestly if you keep them clean the reliability wont be an issue either.

Deffinatly a Para FAL... I'm gonna convert mine to para one of these days. super reliable and decently accurate... even with surplus ammo

My Para shoots better than my full size FAL. I also used the optional lower which has the adjustable AR15 sights.

I have a 16 in POF Recon 308 no complaints so far haven't fired suppressed yet.

I have used M1A,FAL and HK91 for alot of years and I perfer the M1A.They are all very good rifles but the M1a just feals and handles much better for me.Do yourself a favor and try them all out before you spend that kind of cash.