• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gas Tube installation in SBR

cmoore806

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Northern Ohio
Finally have decided to build an upper receiver after winning an incomplete receiver in a raffle years back. I have the barrel installed and barrel nut giving clearance to the gas tube but the carbine length gas tube seems to have a lot of wiggle in the front of the upper receiver.

BCG seems to manually cycle fine and not hang up. Maybe this upper receiver is not worth it and I am wasting my time.

view from inside the receiver

View outside the receiver

Hopefully links work =)

So, what issue do you think this wobbly gas tube is creating?

The amount of wiggle your videos show, would not concern me.
More importantly, as long as it freely interacts with the gas key, no binding at all, it will be GTG.

Reactions: cmoore806
Strip the BCG down to just the carrier. Hold the upper upside down, insert the carrier into the back of the upper and with just the force of gravity, allow the carrier to slide on to the gas tube. Should slide right on with nothing but gravity. If it binds, tweak the gas tube a bit until the carrier slides onto the gas tube smoothly. Otherwise, free floating, as others mentioned is how it should be and you're good to go.