• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear advice needed

runningbear

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Ok, I got my rifle,optic,Pelican case, bipod, chassis, shooting bags, sling, and a good load to shoot. I mainly shoot off of a bench or prone, but I am planning on doing a sniper challenge or a PRS type match. There is also 1k yard range opening up neat me, so Id like to push it out that far. Is there anything else any of you would recommend to get? Thanks

Last edited:
It would be helpful for others to make suggestions if they knew whether this is intended for competitions or just casual shooting.

Kestrel and/or chrono

See this link to help you decide which to get first, or just get both:
Don't go down this ridiculous wormhole.

Find some people locally that already shoot the discipline you want to get into. They will give you help. Very, few people on this forum actually compete in these type matches. Don't buy any gear until you participate in a match. You're good on gear, get experience and exposure first. You will learn so much more by competing than what you will get from the peanut gallery here.

Last edited:
Don't go down this ridiculous wormhole.

Find some people locally that already shoot the discipline you want to get into. They will give you help. Very, few people on this forum actually compete in these type matches. Don't buy any gear until you participate in a match. You're good on gear, get experience and exposure first. You will learn so much more by competing than what you will get from the peanut gallery here.

Exactly.

He stated that he has a “”good load to shoot””. To me that implies he reloads. How do you know it’s a good load without a chrono? Are the ES and SD numbers low? That’s something that I would like to know before settling on my final reload. But maybe that’s just me.

Just get out and shoot a lot. Then you will figure out what you need to get additionally, and what you can sell that your not using anymore. Don't worry about it so much. Shoot some matches, have fun, talk to a bunch of people and see what they are using, and how you might do things with what you have, and if you come across something you just can't make work in any other way, then buy that.

I sell a bunch of stuff, but nothing beats what your experience will tell you.

You will need a ballistics calculator/wind meter of some sort if you shoot a competition, or you could wing it with just the ballistics app and ask another competitor for DA. I've owned a Kestrel, Terrapin, and expensive chronograph. Now i'm down to Magnetospeed and Geoballistics BallisticARC with weather flow weather meter. The Geoballistics is $130 for the program and bluetooth meter (syncs with app on your phone), and is just as good or better than a $600+ Kestrel. These two things will do everything you need.

A friend and spotting scope. They can spot for you and you them. A lot can be learned from spotting and making calls for someone, As stated above. Get out and shoot as much as you can. The more you do it, the more you will recognize what you actually need.