• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gear for a torn rotator cuff?

TDECK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2007
Southern UT
I was wondering if anybody here uses something to help them out for their torn rotator cuff when shooting a rifle? Being that it is almost as common as a bad back there must be someone here who has developed something that works for them such as a Past recoil pad etc...... Please let me know.

Re: Gear for a torn rotator cuff?

All I can tell you, is that when I had a torn rotator cuff, I wasn't shooting for about a year. So there isn't anything I can suggest to help you, sorry.

Of course, I also had a shattered radius, dislocated elbow, and a host of other injuries at the same time... hence the long duration....and then a long winter. Then more surgeries.

Maybe someone else has had it better than me? Hope so.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Gear for a torn rotator cuff?</span>

An easy chair, bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon, and the TV remote. Let it heal, apply Bourbon, change channels, lather, rise and repeat until wellness appears.....

Best of luck,

Bob

I was wondering about something like a Evo shield rifle recoil shirt. Does it lessen the recoil on the shoulder or is it just less perceived recoil?

I had my right shoulder rebuilt twice and, at first, I'd just cheat the butt in a little towards my chest. After awhile, with a decent recoil pad, I was able to shoot however I wanted. Now, several years since my last surgery, I can shoot any type recoil pad however I want and the only thing that ever bothers me is the scar tissue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDECK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering if anybody here uses something to help them out for their torn rotator cuff when shooting a rifle? Being that it is almost as common as a bad back there must be someone here who has developed something that works for them such as a Past recoil pad etc...... Please let me know.</div></div>

Have you gotten the shoulder scoped? If not, shoot with a limbsaver pad and a muzzle brake. If so, then keep working on the shoulder, and don't baby it.

I torn my rotator cuff, dislocated my shoulder, and fractured my collar bone during a severe motorcycle accident awhile ago.

Nothing helps.

I tired a "lead sled" to shoot from, tried the shirt, etc. it was all a waste of money. I still have trouble shooting anything above a .308 for a long period of time.

For shooting my AR, I ran a three point sling to play a little bit nothing extensive or much.

I have torn it several times afterwards and it doesn't help at all. Going for my fourth surgery end of this year.

Hey, welcome to the club! I'm sitting at home on sick leave stoned on percocet from my shoulder surgery last week. Sucks as I just got a new USO for my 7mm RM and wont be shooting it for a couple of months. Know how you feel brother!

Try a Grind to Fit Kick EEZ pad. they are AWESOME! I run them on my large cal rifles.

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of curious why I had never seen this topic before when it is such a common condition.

I gotta say that a torn rotator cuff is flat out depressing for someone who likes to shoot rifles.

I am trying to avoid surgery and take advantage of some of the recoil reduction products we have available to us. Some people say the surgery makes their rotator cuff problem worse and to avoid the surgery at all cost.

I am going to try rum's suggestion and shoot closer to the chest with a good recoil pad.

Palmik's advise about not babying my shoulder is spot on. I noticed it actually gets worse when I baby it. Go figure.

If a joint is usable, i.e. not destroyed, it should be used. Otherwise it stiffens up, builds scar tissue, and when you go to use it the littlest bit, the scar tissue rips and it hurts like a bitch. This resets the entire process over and over again. Use it but don't abuse the hell out of it.

Torn? Really? Big tears mean surgery. Very small tears don't. Very small tears and lack of synovial fluid in the joint can lead to inflammation. You can have the Doc run a 4" needle into your shoulder nearest the top of the joint and squirt some cortisone into the joint. It will help a lot.

Aside from that - if the problem has been persistent - not a sudden injury from an accident - you likely have weak muscles surrounding the joint - particularly the deltoids. You will need to start with a piece of surgical tubing and do the following exercises:

- Use a rolled up hand towel and place it in your arm pit, keep that elbow as close to the body as possible - knot the surgical tubing and close a door over the knot at the height of your belly button. While keeping strict form (elbow against the body) stand sideways to the door (door to the outside of the body) and pull the tubing toward the centerline of your body - 45 degrees (work up to the full 180). Next - again while keeping strict form (elbow against the body) stand sideways to the door (door to the inside of the body) and pull the tubing across the centerline of your body and try to stretch the tubing to 45 degrees away from your body (again work up to the full 180) away from your body.

- Close the door with the knot at the bottom of the door. Stand up right and arms length from the door. Arm out straight, palm down - stretch the tubing by lifting your arm to no more than shoulder height (nipple is probably best)

- Knot still at bottom of the door, bend over at the waist, pull the tubing to the rear and work the posterior delt.

Do not allow yourself to feel pain. You can feel rubbery or tired but not pain. As you get stronger switch to dumb bells or cable machines. Then start lifting weights. Do not do military presses behind your head. Strict form on the benches and while doing seated front military presses is paramount. Remember dumb bells allow for independent paths for each arm and build individual arm and joint strength. Both dumb bells and bars should be used in cycles throughout the year.

First thing - see a doctor. Then get to work.

What does your doctor say regarding activity? If he says its ok, and you've been cleared for exercises, shooting, and/or physical therapy, you are good to go. You do not want to make a little tear into a big tear. Hope everything goes well for you