• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Geissele SSA-E and TriggerTech AR10 in LRP-07 **ISSUE RESOLVED _ SEE LAST POST**

daved

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I want to replace the stock 3.5-4# JP roller trigger on my LRP-07 with one that has a lower trigger pull, and have tried both the standard two-stage SSA-E and the TriggerTech which has a reverse two-stage. I've run into problems with both of them:

The TT failed the safety function test despite numerous adjustments of both the JP ambi-safety and pull weight - after cocking the trigger, safety set, pull trigger, safety off = gun fires but with just a touch to the trigger. TT CS didn't have any suggestions so I'm in the process of returning that trigger.

The SSA-E will not fire when in fire mode - the trigger tail doesn't have enough movement before contacting the body of the safety. Geissele explained that large frame ARs are not all made to exact mil-spec so the SSA-E is incompatible. The problem might be corrected by removing some stock from the safety body to allow a little more movement but no assurances.

I've tried to contact JP but they apparently are either busy selling new stuff or dodging "mostly peaceful" protests - no response to emails and they don't answer the phone.

Has anyone run into these problems and have a solution? Any help would be appreciated---

I want to replace the stock 3.5-4# JP roller trigger on my LRP-07 with one that has a lower trigger pull, and have tried both the standard two-stage SSA-E and the TriggerTech which has a reverse two-stage. I've run into problems with both of them:

The TT failed the safety function test despite numerous adjustments of both the JP ambi-safety and pull weight - after cocking the trigger, safety set, pull trigger, safety off = gun fires but with just a touch to the trigger. TT CS didn't have any suggestions so I'm in the process of returning that trigger.

The SSA-E will not fire when in fire mode - the trigger tail doesn't have enough movement before contacting the body of the safety. Geissele explained that large frame ARs are not all made to exact mil-spec so the SSA-E is incompatible. The problem might be corrected by removing some stock from the safety body to allow a little more movement but no assurances.

I've tried to contact JP but they apparently are either busy selling new stuff or dodging "mostly peaceful" protests - no response to emails and they don't answer the phone.

Has anyone run into these problems and have a solution? Any help would be appreciated---
What kind of safety are you running? Sounds like it could be out of spec.

The safety is JP's Ambidextrous Adjustable. It supposedly eliminates the need for gunsmithing to get the safety to work properly with "any AR" trigger components. Obviously not true. Either the safety or the lower receiver is not mil-spec; the safety only adjusts to ensure the "safe" function works (a set screw that presses on the trigger tail when set to "safe"). The problem is 90 degrees around the body of the safety (in "fire" mode) where there is not enough clearance to allow the trigger tail to move through its full travel. Essentially the trigger will not release in either fire or safe mode. The trigger will function normally when the safety is completely removed.

I would try a conventional Safety before making any eliminations, and definitely make contact with JP.

Getting in touch with JP is problematic even in normal times. Customer service is nowhere near the same quality as their rifles.

BTW, both Geissele and TriggerTech CS reps were readily available by phone and very helpful even though they could not resolve my problem.

I would try a conventional Safety before making any eliminations, and definitely make contact with JP.

@daved, it sounds like you know what the problem is so I would take the suggestion above to see if you can get one of the triggers to work in that receiver. If one does then you obviously have your answer to the compatibility of the JP safety with aftermarket triggers.

I would also suggest to throw in a standard safety and see how they function in the lower. Start there and then contact JP about it.

Neither trigger works properly in the JP receiver with the JP safety but I have no clue as to which is "out of spec".

FYI Geissele CS said there is no standard (ie, Mil-Spec) for large frame ARs as there is for the small frame, and that fitting problems will occur in about 10% of AR10 variants.

When all else fails. Try the adjustment procedure outlined here. I've got a SSA-E in my DPMS 308 & love it.

Edit: I think you just need to adjust their safety. I'm sure it was set buy them for their trigger. For some reason the safety instructions (linked below) don't appear to be included in the LRP-07 manual.

Geissele CS is partially correct in stating no mil spec for AR 10's, however all AR 15, DPMS, LR, SR, etc. use the same blueprint spec for fire control i.e. trigger pin spacing & safety selector location in relation to trigger pins. The for/aft placement of the fire control group differs especially in large frames.

Per JP fire control components are cross compatible.
1597879259545.png

Last edited:
When all else fails. Try the adjustment procedure outlined here. I've got a SSA-E in my DPMS 308 & love it.

Edit: I think you just need to adjust their safety. I'm sure it was set buy them for their trigger. For some reason the safety instructions (linked below) don't appear to be included in the LRP-07 manual.

Geissele CS is partially correct in stating no mil spec for AR 10's, however all AR 15, DPMS, LR, SR, etc. use the same blueprint spec for fire control i.e. trigger pin spacing & safety selector location in relation to trigger pins. The for/aft placement of the fire control group differs especially in large frames.

Per JP fire control components are cross compatible.
View attachment 7403034
I'm familiar with the JP ambi safety instructions - they pertain to adjusting the safety to ensure the gun will not fire when in SAFE mode and involve using the adjustment screw to lightly contact the trigger tail and prevent it from moving. My problem is that the gun will not fire when the safety is turned 90 degrees to the FIRE mode where the adjustment screw no longer has any contact with the trigger tail. The tail just contacts the flat surface of the safety body and stops short of the second stage. There is no adjustment for the FIRE mode.

Are using the JP ambi-safety with the SSA-E in your DPMS?

The info from 2011 is mirrored in JPs current description of the Ambi Safety which says it "can be used with any AR trigger components to allow for a perfect and safe relationship between trigger and selector". If only they were available for questions about their products---

Are using the JP ambi-safety with the SSA-E in your DPMS?

I'm running a cheapo Armaspec ambi with the SSA-E in DPMS & BAD ambi safety's with other SSA-E's in AR 15's.
Also have 2 of the new Triggertech safety's, but haven't run them yet.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping someone running both the JP ambi-safety and the SSA-E will chime in. Given their popularity it would seem like there's someone out there with that combo--

My email to JP has been forwarded to their tech dept so hopefully I be able to get some answers soon. Much longer and I'm going to have to resort to leaving the safety out when I go shooting.

Any reason not to ditch the saftey? If rather have the trigger I wanted vs keeping a safety

Yeah, surely you’ve got a safety selector laying somewhere. Heck, take 5 minutes and pull one out of another rifle...

With a generic Mil-Spec AR15 safety in the -07, trigger functions perfectly. So clearly the notch in the safety that should allow the trigger tail to move through its full range is not to Mil-Spec, specifically not deep enough.

Got an email from JP tech support - he recommends that I either grind down the trigger tail or replace their ambi-safety with a standard Mil-Spec unit. I'm scratching my head -

Since the notch is not Mil-Spec depth, either JP purposely designed their ambi-safety to vary from Mil-Spec dimensions or it was designed to Mil-Spec dimensions and the one that ended up in my rifle represents a manufacturing defect.

The first possibility makes no sense - why design a component which you're going to market as compatible with "any AR trigger components" with a critical dimension that varies from Mil-Spec? Almost certainly the problem with my safety is a manufacturing defect. So why not just replace the safety - actually only the stripped body is necessary - rather than recommend that I alter the SSA-E (which is not the problem) or buy another safety?

I've asked him that question - awaiting response and in the mean time, using an el-cheapo AR15 safety so I can use and enjoy the gun.

The SSA-E is far superior to the JP proprietary trigger. Can't help but wonder whether my problem with the Trigger Tech was also related to the out-spec JP safety.

Reactions: bobke
With a generic Mil-Spec AR15 safety in the -07, trigger functions perfectly. So clearly the notch in the safety that should allow the trigger tail to move through its full range is not to Mil-Spec, specifically not deep enough.

Got an email from JP tech support - he recommends that I either grind down the trigger tail or replace their ambi-safety with a standard Mil-Spec unit. I'm scratching my head -

Since the notch is not Mil-Spec depth, either JP purposely designed their ambi-safety to vary from Mil-Spec dimensions or it was designed to Mil-Spec dimensions and the one that ended up in my rifle represents a manufacturing defect.

The first possibility makes no sense - why design a component which you're going to market as compatible with "any AR trigger components" with a critical dimension that varies from Mil-Spec? Almost certainly the problem with my safety is a manufacturing defect. So why not just replace the safety - actually only the stripped body is necessary - rather than recommend that I alter the SSA-E (which is not the problem) or buy another safety?

I've asked him that question - awaiting response and in the mean time, using an el-cheapo AR15 safety so I can use and enjoy the gun.

The SSA-E is far superior to the JP proprietary trigger. Can't help but wonder whether my problem with the Trigger Tech was also related to the out-spec JP safety.

What about the Triggertech?

And I would suggest just picking up another ambi safety that is milspec like from seekins.

Last edited:
IIRC, JP said their safety did vary from Mil-Spec. I solved the problem by using a quality Mil-Spec AR safety. Trigger has worked fine and much superior to JP.

I know this is an older thread but figured I’d contribute my experience with this issue.

I got a TT Diamond single stage for my JP. The JP had JP’s oversized pins and JP’s ambi selector. The oversized pins will not fit in the TT, even if you use a sledgehammer and the strength of 10 tigers to drive them in. Consequently, they did not come out very easily. Lol!!

I had some Seekins pins which resolved that issue, but then the selector still would not work. New selector fixed that issue too.

Reactions: nickw