• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Geissele Super42

IowaPlinker

Interested amateur
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    Eastern Iowa
    Is/Has anyone used the Super 42 buffer spring from Geissele? Will you share your impressions?
    I have been thinking about the JP SCS, I wondered if this worked as well.
    I will be using it in a 16” AR with a LMOS BCG and adjustable gas block, shooting suppressed.

223 14.5” pin and weld with non-adjustable gas block and lantac enhanced bcg with super 42. No twang or spring sound. Shot smooth and reliable with H2 buffer. I bought the upper assembled so unless I rebarrel this is how it will stay.

308 20” with rifle gas, superlative arms adj. gas block, lantac enhanced bcg and JP SCS. Very impressed with the first 60 rounds through it. Very soft shooter. I have the spring kit for it that I have not played with yet too.

If I were to make any changes to the 223 with regard to barrel and adj. gas block I would swap in the JP SCS while I was doing it.

The 42 setup is a non-standard dimension.

Performs as advertised.

Heavier spring tension than I need in most applications.

JP SCS is more versatile when I'm tuning systems.

The 42 is on the wall. Waiting for the right build.

JP SCSs have enough combination to get the tune I'm looking for.

If you want a simple, reliable, and relatively high energy system there is nothing wrong (other than incompatible with standard buffers and parts) with the 42.

Ran the SCS in a large frame AR. Made the gun feel like it was on ball bearings when charging it. Tunability was cool, but then again, it doesn’t do anything different than you can do with changing buffer weights and spring rates in a traditional setup. Another item of note is you don’t run a buffer retainer and retainer spring, so if/when you have to service your rifle in the field, you need to be careful because the SCS will just fall right out into the dirt.

I ordered a Super42 spring to run with a Vltor A5 setup on a new AR I have. Looking forward to seeing how it runs.

I've run the Suoer 42 unsuppressed in an LMT lower with 16"&18" 5.56, .224 Valkyrie, and 20 practical all with a H2 buffer wieght. Bullet weights from 32gr to 77gr. The Valkyrie was the only one I had issues with. It was feeding issues and could have been caused by magazine or Federal American Eagle 75gr. Sold the Valkyrie barrel.

I have a 42 with the H1 running in a 14.5 bcm middy. Runs well suppressed and unsuppressed. I don’t know that I see much difference from the lower that has a standard spring and H2 buffer.

Like it paired with the 10.3" URGI upper and an H3. The whole setup shoots pretty sweet - only run it suppressed. Also keep it in the lower for the 10.3 DD 300 BO upper. No issues there either.

Another solution looking for a problem.

The idea is a longer lasting spring for high vollume institutional users, which is nobody could afford shooting their own ammo, and would take years to wear out most likely.

Those same institutions that would fire those vollumes have such good enablers and support that carring a few extra springs in the tons of gear they have is less than a needle in a haystack.

Full disclosure, we are a rather large Geissele dealer. It is certainly an upgrade, and very popular. I shoot with and without. Is is necessary? No. Is it nice to have, sure. Especially with shorter barrels, the H3 version is very popular.

Like many improvements, the cost and the marketing impressions are high. First, ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. Do you have a problem you are trying to solve, or just want the next newest and greatest.

im currently running a 42 in 2 of my rifles. Smooth...yes. Needed...not necessarily. On the 14.5, its awesome. I just got the stamp about 2 months ago on the 12.5, so I only have about 500 rounds through it and the only complaint is the ringing. I never had it on the 14.5, but its very evident on the 12.5.