• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Gem-Tech Suppressors

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I have a line to get a TREK 5.56 suppressor for around $375. I have read really good and bad things about this company. I wonder if much of the bad stuff is written by people that do not own them or have not owned them in the past.

Any experience with them?

This would be going on a PWS 10.5 inch upper

Re: Gem-Tech Suppressors

bullshit...google what AAC did to cause this so called tax...Gemtech make great products and their customer service is second to none

how are their products. HS Precision got a bad rap due to a certain sniper working with them but their product is still good. I care about how good it is, how good their service is and where the product is made.

For what it's worth, I have a Halo (5.56) and a Seahunter (.22)from Gemtech. Also have a Quicksand in the dreaded "approval" process. Both the Halo and Seahunter are very well made and do everything they are suppossed to do. Have called Gemtech a few times for various questions, and have always found their CS to be top shelf. They discontinued the Seahunter several years ago, but have been told that they will live up to all of the warranty coverage etc. Have not had to experience it with the Seahunter, and hope that I never have to. Great cans and a great company, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bullshit...google what AAC did to cause this so called tax...Gemtech make great products and their customer service is second to none </div></div>

Well, its called Gemtax for a reason....
Why would AAC have anything to do with it?

Gemtech makes a decent can, nothing out of this world but they still work and are affordable. They do have a few well known issues with some of their cans but I don't think they are anything major once round count goes up on them.

I have 2, and just bought a third. I have had zero issues with either of the ones that I currently have, and 100% confidence in the one i just bought.

Blackside .45 - Love it on my TRP with Jarvis TB. It is the unboosted (nonboosted, unboostered, nonboostered (?)) version and i have had one malfunction in thousands of rounds fired and that was caused by light a reload.
G5 - Love it on a 10.5 and a 16. This one I have had on the 10.5 for 3 years and have not had any issues with. Both guns are DI. I have not really done any accuracy testing with it though. i just picked up the Smith mount for the 16 a couple of weeks ago and will test for accuracy next range trip.
Sandstorm at the ATF for the 300WM and a 6.5 - This one i cannot wait to test out.

I bought a Multimount during the Gemtax a couple years ago. They were good to deal with and I like the can.

I've played with a G5 quite a bit. IMO, their products are every bit as good if not better than aac. At least they can get the mounts right.
wink.gif

I own a couple each of ,AWC's, AAC's and Elite Iron and a couple Gemtech's. I had a problem with my new Gemtech Tundra 9mm., as soon as Gemtech's customer rep was contacted they replaced my Tundra instantly with a brand new unit.Also paid the NFA sin tax. Let's see the others back their products up with that prompt service and customer respect! I would not hesitate on buying another Gemtech.They are a topshelf company.

I personally would never own one, if you get bored go to http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913 you will see how Gemtech claimed their baffles were anodized and they were not, you will also see how they managed to thread tubes off center and nobody can figure out how they did that, they are loud compared to almost every other can on the market. They are still using 1980's technology. The now have military contracts...for pistol lanyards. Most dealers will tout them as the best there is for one simple reason, they have them in stock.

I have 2 gemtech cans and both work great. They are as quiet as a friends aac cans. buy with confidence.

Wow so everyone agrees! Thats some serious differences in opinions great reading guys. PGG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would never own one, if you get bored go to http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913 you will see how Gemtech claimed their baffles were anodized and they were not, you will also see how they managed to thread tubes off center and nobody can figure out how they did that, they are loud compared to almost every other can on the market. They are still using 1980's technology. The now have military contracts...for pistol lanyards. Most dealers will tout them as the best there is for one simple reason, they have them in stock. </div></div>
I've never heard gemtech claim their baffles were annodized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a line to get a TREK 5.56 suppressor for around $375. I have read really good and bad things about this company. I wonder if much of the bad stuff is written by people that do not own them or have not owned them in the past.

Any experience with them?

This would be going on a PWS 10.5 inch upper </div></div>

For $375 it's probably hard to beat.

We tested the M4-02, which is the thread mount Gemtech flagship prior to the Trek. The video to that test is below.

The M4-02 was the worst performer in our test, and it had the worst sound quality (a hollow thump thump as opposed to KAC's and our suppressors, more pfft pfft sound) <in person it sounded a bit disconsonent compared to the other two suppressors, but it does hover right around the 140DB OSHA limit and in that way it does provide good baseline performance.

When we filmed the video we had a demo customer present and his choice for the day was between an older thread mount product we made that was not very attractive (non dressed welds) and the Gemtech which is pretty attractive. He chose our product despite an identical price-point. He mentioned the Gemtech product looked good, but sound performance was what mattered most to him.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbwStMIMxns&feature=g-upl&context=G2c1e2b8AUAAAAAAAAAA&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EbwStMIMxns&feature=g-upl&context=G2c1e2b8AUAAAAAAAAAA&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would never own one, if you get bored go to http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913 you will see how Gemtech claimed their baffles were anodized and they were not, you will also see how they managed to thread tubes off center and nobody can figure out how they did that, they are loud compared to almost every other can on the market. They are still using 1980's technology. The now have military contracts...for pistol lanyards. Most dealers will tout them as the best there is for one simple reason, they have them in stock. </div></div>
I've never heard gemtech claim their baffles were annodized. </div></div>

I have not either, this troll has not a clue what he is talking about. Yes, lots of dealers, myself included, do indeed tout them as best, certainly one of the best in my humble opinion. That opinion based on 25 years experience.
80's technology, yeah they have been around that long. Do a bit of research and you will find the AWC and GEMTECH really have been around since the 80's. They really have done their homework and advanced the suppressor technology by leap and bounds. Still using 80's technology, yeah right. Most of the "new guys" bought their cans and reversed engineered them. No sense in wasting time and money on that expensive R&D stuff.
We have never had a real problem with Gemtech or AWC cans, and their customer service is first class. Can't really say that about some others, from personal experience.
FWIW!!

Going to put the money down monday on a Gemtech HVT - direct thread on for my 308. Dealer has it in stock and I can't wait to fingerbang it. I've done some research on my own and know them to be a reputable company. I've shot their 22 models and 5.56 but havent used a 30 cal model. Anyone use an HVT? Let me know your thoughts, thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would never own one, if you get bored go to http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=77913 you will see how Gemtech claimed their baffles were anodized and they were not, you will also see how they managed to thread tubes off center and nobody can figure out how they did that, they are loud compared to almost every other can on the market. They are still using 1980's technology. The now have military contracts...for pistol lanyards. Most dealers will tout them as the best there is for one simple reason, they have them in stock. </div></div>

ST is ran by freedom group/aac, if you are not running a aac can, your gear is crap. Much better places to research, without all the BS.

Ya don't hold much accord to Silencertalk.com they all worship AAC. Which they do have some nice gear but there are literally tons of options for a good quality can out there nowadays you would be doing yourself an injustice to not research some more.

Check out..... Thunder Beast Arms, Elite Iron, SHARK, Mac Bros, Hooper Ordnance. Those are all small shops that make cans. Very cool cutting edge tech coming from them.

I have an MK-9K. I would buy another in a minute if I needed another subgun can. Never needed to use their customer service.

I have a hvt and while it is heavy it is still a pretty decent can. Works good on the 260. But I am going another direction for a can in my 7wsm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pfcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have not either, this troll has not a clue what he is talking about. Yes, lots of dealers, myself included, do indeed tout them as best, certainly one of the best in my humble opinion. That opinion based on 25 years experience.

</div></div>

Just because you have been doing it for 25 years does not mean your doing it right...

Yes Gemtech has been around for a long time, that does not make them the best neither does having military contracts at one time. Those "new guys" your talking about have done more to raise public awareness and promote suppressor shooting than Gemtech ever dreamed about.

I guess one of these days I will grow out of troll status and into glory be to Gemtech 25 year experts.

The "other guys" are also giving the public what they want and Gemtech is still producing what they want, darn there I go again, Gemtech is the best, Gemtech is the best, Gemtech is the best.

Doc Dater is first class. Always has been very candid with me and gone out of his way to help when issues came up dealing with Gemtech Suppressors.

If anyone involved had known that the GEMTAX would be the outcome, I doubt they would have taken it as far as they did. We as humans sometimes do not consider the big picture when controversy clouds our judgment.

Lowlight's sig line comes to mind.

I have a HVT-QD that I use on a 308 bolt gun and several of my 5.56 rifles. I'm very happy with the performance. I shot next to an AAC 5.56 can recently and although it's not "apples to apples," I was unable to hear a difference between the two (shooting 5.56).

I've had a Gemtech G5 on my personal guns for 6 years and love it. I have a Halo at work on a work rifle and it's always performed as expected - and I have a Blackside on the way.

I also own a few AAC products...like them both.

For the most part, when it comes to suppressors, I think most of the debate is similar to the Ford vs. Chevy crap. They all work just fine.

I have a sandstorm thread on not the QD and would recommend it to anyone that is looking to buy a 30 cal can. It Is the quietest 30cal can that I have heard, thats why I went with the sandstorm. Gemtech has top notch customer servic as well.

I would not hesatate to buy a Gemtech.

I also have an HVT QD I use for both 308 and 5.56. I have been satisfied with it for the most part. It does shoot first round high, but is very repeatable. Have been debating changing to thread on ( which gemtech will do for no charge) to see if the problem goes away. After the first round the suppressor groups same as unsuppressed. And I have been very happy with the help I have gotten from gemtech.
In terms of noise, i have only been able to compare with a YHM phantom, and they are both pretty quiet. To my ears not much difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyMP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pfcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Just because you have been doing it for 25 years does not mean your doing it right...

Yes Gemtech has been around for a long time, that does not make them the best neither does having military contracts at one time. Those "new guys" your talking about have done more to raise public awareness and promote suppressor shooting than Gemtech ever dreamed about.

I guess one of these days I will grow out of troll status and into glory be to Gemtech 25 year experts.

The "other guys" are also giving the public what they want and Gemtech is still producing what they want, darn there I go again, Gemtech is the best, Gemtech is the best, Gemtech is the best. </div></div>

...and your qualifications are what? Your stats are from where?
We have close to 100 cans sitting on our shelves at the moment. Gemtech, AAC, AWC, SWR, KAC, Osprey and Sparrows and a couple of Thunderbeast and Surefire units. We like to give our customers what they want. Maybe in your opinion I'm not doing it right, but at least I am doing it!
As others in this thread have said ST is not exactly the FOX News (fair and balanced) of the suppressor world. You should expand your reading and research a little bit.
Yes, the new guys have done a lot to raise public awareness, but it is those "old guys" AWC, Gemtech, SWR, KAC etc that built the industry snowball and started it rolling down the hill. Pretty easy to hop on the moving gravy train.
Why don't you look at the ST link you referenced again, see if you don't see a lot of striking similarities to the baffle designs. Have you heard of a guy named Hiram Maxim? And one of your "new guys" is even using dimpled washers and spacers...talk about 80's technology.
Giving the public what they want, in case you missed it, that is what the American free enterprise system is all about. Why is Gemtech still in business then? Military contracts come and go to different companies all the time. Surefire has been around since the 80's too!
By your logic no one should fly Bell Helicopters anymore, since they only had a military contract at one time.
in closing: <span style="font-style: italic">...darn there I go again, Gemtech is the best, Gemtech is the best, Gemtech is the best.</span> Grow the heck up and get a real life!

My personal experience is gemtech's customer service is 100 times better than aac. I do own both types of cans and they are both fine. Dont believe all the bs you read on the Internet. Aac makes a good product but degroat, bowers, and gemtech's customer service and attitude is so much better. This is based on my personal experience.

Once you mess around with cans for a while you will have to send one back for repair and I will trade a few decibels for customer service 10 times out of ten. I also would tell you that whatever any manufacturer claims as far as sound reduction will vary based on platform and ammo and would not make my decision based on what anybody has on their website.

Just my personal opinion so take it for what it is worth.

I have the hvt qd and use it on my blaser Lrs 308, keltec rfb, msar556, and ar-15. I love the QD. If I had it to do over again, I would get the same one.

Best description I've heard can be quoted from the major. "the suppressor industry has more drama than a Mexican soap opera. "

Always consider the source of your information and be realistic about your intentions with the can. People will spout off at the mouth about full auto rated... And they are unlikely to ever own a full auto ar. My g5 has always been great to me. More than I'll ever need. If I could do it over, I'd get a surefire purely for poi shift. To me it's annoying.

Btw $375 is a great deal... I'd pick that up in a minute for an sbr. It's a rugged can.

hello.
I have a treck-t (gemtax) and a Quicksand. love them both. Not bad to not have to pay that 200 dollars but it does take longer to get. It has to go to Gemteck first than the batfe.

This thread just needs to die already. Everyone is loyal to their brand. Just realize that your brand is not the only quality brand out there. I have always regarded SH as a gentlemen's forum and a place where this does not take place. This thread is not technical or educational. Can someone please kill it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silenced America</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Everyone is loyal to their brand. Just realize that your brand is not the only quality brand out there. </div></div>
Roger that... there are the koolaiders out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an MK-9K. I would buy another in a minute if I needed another subgun can. Never needed to use their customer service. </div></div>

Same here. MK-9K. Solid performer.

Well as the OP I don't see anything wrong with this thread and it's direction. Thanks for the help guys. I went with a TREK due to the OAL of it since it is going on a SBR.

DAT,
I have a Treck-T on an 11.5" SBR. I love it. If I can I will post a few vids of it. Just to help you along. I am all about people going suppressed.

My baby

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texasshooter30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAT,
I have a Treck-T on an 11.5" SBR. I love it. If I can I will post a few vids of it. Just to help you along. I am all about people going suppressed.

My baby </div></div>

That is nice

I have a Trek and a Sandstorm and LOVE them. The Trek has been great on my SBR, regular Ar's, and my 22's. The Sandstorm has made its home on a 20in 308 and 16in Blackout AR. It is an awesome performer. I got the Sandstorm for the lighter weight to put on a 300 win mag, just haven't threaded the barrel yet. Gemtech works for me!

I went with a Sandstorm. I can shoot it on my AR, .308, 7WSM, and 300 BLK (soon, hopefully). The company has been around for quite a few years, and I assumed that experience would keep them around for quite a few more. I was looking at Shark and Thunderbeast because I've heard nothing but good things. My only concern with the smaller shops was whether they'd be their in 5, 10, 20 years. Food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bama110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for threaded sandstorm </div></div>
+2 Runs great on everything I've thrown it on so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well as the OP I don't see anything wrong with this thread and it's direction. Thanks for the help guys. I went with a TREK due to the OAL of it since it is going on a SBR. </div></div>

D.A.T. I think you will be very happy with the TREK, it is by far our most popular 5.56mm can.

Phil