• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Gemtech = No customer service.

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Yet another reason not to buy Gemtech cans.

Bought a couple QD .22 adapters and they don't fit correctly. Multiple emails and no response from them.

Maybe they’re all at SHOT? It’s a super busy time for most gun companies, not trying to excuse them for zero customer service.

I personally know the folks at Gemtech and emailed them today for you. They are at ShotShow, but Joey responded and asked me to respond with his email and he will deal with it while at the Shotshow. You will get an "I am gone msg" in response but he is tracking this and will respond to you.

Send to : [email protected]

And CC: [email protected]

I have given up on Gemtech. My experience the last several years and the tap dancing sales pitch at Shot Show the last 3 years from them with No answers...lots of excuses, we were bought, sold, expanding, moving, revamping manufacturing. I liked their products at the booth but support and delivery sucked. I hope they get you what you need.

So I am guessing deersniper would rather bitch than do something about it. Typical of those who post this kind of shit.

Oh? Yeah some people have shit going on outside of shooting that takes priority. I know hard to believe.

When you send
    [email protected]
    3 emails and get no response at all you might post something too. At least I'm getting somewhere now.

I have a bunch of Gemtech cans.

I haven't had any dealings with Gem-Tech in the last several years, but if I had questions I'd call them up. They were always helpful, and if they weren't sure of the answer they'd patch me through to Phil Dater himself. It's been awhile so things might have changed.

I've had good luck with Gemtech in the past. Lately it's been different. A few weeks back, I ordered a GemTech Bilock Brake from them. After 1 week, no email that it had shipped. I phoned them up, they said they had over 200 in stock and should be shipped shortly. Another week went by and still they hadn't shipped. Pretty pathetic. I cancelled the order and received an email shortly confirming the refund from Smith and Wesson. Has the service gone downhill post acquisition?

Did you ever get sorted out?
    Still haven't had time to call them during business hours. I have a pile of crap that either doesn't fit or the wrong item was shipped.

Companies should have to change their name or add a couple **** to the end after being bought by another company. Then we could know what places to avoid or treat like a brand new company with no reputation.

I like my Gemtech cans. But like all things mechanical service is everything. I would look at the Osprey. I have one in 45. Nice can.
    . I have a Gemtech multimount too and it's a nice can but my 1/2-28 is stuck on there and they sent me the wrong tool to try and take it out. So now I have that tool and a box of defective QD adapters.

I used to recommend GemTech to all my customers and had really good luck with all the different types of cans they made. Customer service was stellar and I had one customer who ended up with an extra suppressor because they found the problem with the one he sent back for repair was their fault. Excellent people and service. In the last year or so things started falling off. A customer ordered a suppressor and we kept getting the old, "its in transfer" message but there was no serial number supplied and after a year we canceled the order. At about that point we found out S&W had purchased the company so maybe the issues were caused by the coming purchase or something of that sort. A number of key people were replaced and we have seen a marked drop in service. I won't recommend GemTech to customers anymore sad as it makes me to admit. I'm sure others have had different experiences but from posts on various boards I'm seeing a lot of stories like the OPs and my own. The suppressor market has gotten a bit cutthroat and people expect more for their money. Marketing has gotten involved with decreasing performance while making the cans look "cooler". Tough time to be in the biz.

Frank

Reactions: deersniper
    My Gemtech 9mm can was just about worthless as an actual sound suppressor. I have to put water in the can for it to suppress the sound. I called them to ask about it and the response was to send it to Stalking Rhino to have it re cored. And at a cost of $400 or so dollars. The customer service has much to be desired and I fully believe that if they made better cans they would not have to answer the phone as much.

about 4 months after my 2 Gemtech can arrived I had a rather large amount of money get charged to my account (over$1000) and I called my bank to see what went thru. Gemtech had charged my CC for an order from a class 3 dealer that I went thru to get my cans. I called them and after several phone calls finally got a person and I explained what had transpired he looked it up and really could not figure it out and said that he would take care of it, so after about 3 days my bank took care of it. Gemtech as far as I know did not. I will not ever buy anything from them or let any friend spend money with them.

I can't complain about the actual quality of the product. Now my purchases have been a few years ago, but my Multimount 9mm, Outback II 22, m4-96D 223, and Sandstorm 30 have all been great.

I used to recommend GemTech to all my customers and had really good luck with all the different types of cans they made. Customer service was stellar and I had one customer who ended up with an extra suppressor because they found the problem with the one he sent back for repair was their fault. Excellent people and service. In the last year or so things started falling off. A customer ordered a suppressor and we kept getting the old, "its in transfer" message but there was no serial number supplied and after a year we canceled the order. At about that point we found out S&W had purchased the company so maybe the issues were caused by the coming purchase or something of that sort. A number of key people were replaced and we have seen a marked drop in service. I won't recommend GemTech to customers anymore sad as it makes me to admit. I'm sure others have had different experiences but from posts on various boards I'm seeing a lot of stories like the OPs and my own. The suppressor market has gotten a bit cutthroat and people expect more for their money. Marketing has gotten involved with decreasing performance while making the cans look "cooler". Tough time to be in the biz.

Frank

It's a tough time to be in any part of the consumer-driven gun market right now.... market and social media/blogging pressures hammer these companies pretty hard unless you've carved out a niche or have other revenue streams.

I remember when gemtech- halo and G5 were 'the' suppressors to have. I have an early G5 I got secondhand that has been excellent.... used as a working suppressor before I got it, endcap was knocked out of alignment and a chunk shot out of it and one of the baffles, but it still sounds great and locks up fine. I spoke to Gemtech when I bought it in 2012 and was quoted $200 or so to fix it. Seemed pretty good, but that was a couple years ago.

I am currently working through a Gemtech CS issue myself. While I have made all contact via documented telephone calls I am 4 weeks in with no signs of closure on the matter. I reached out to S&W as well and now have them involved. Let's see how this works out. The product itself seems well made but the CS has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

That’s a shame. I had a satisfactory CS experience over a year ago although the actual product was junk. I had an internal weld failure after only a few hundred rounds on an approved barrel length. They replaced the can and paid new tax stamp and shipping. I honestly haven’t even shot the replacement.

I just picked up a gemtech dagger 2 yesterday and have not shot it yet but I hope it treats me well

I have an old 9mm Tundra, works great never had a CS need. My buddy bought the Trilogy set and is pretty
    disappointed in the sound reduction on the GM45 and the One............
    I'm surely not impressed

Damn they never took care of it. That's too bad, they were a stellar company back in the day. No excuse for what it's become.

They were a great company. I have a ton of their products. Phil hooked me up when I had an issue with a m496d and welded a new style mount on it for no charge.

I hate when good companies get bought and gutted. Share holders ride the reputation into the ground until there's no $$$ left to suck out.

I bought my first can from them a couple years back. It will also be my last. They've not done much innovation in a while anyways.

Gemtech still has no customer service. F them

Absolutely fuck them. I had a sandstorm that gained 7 ounces in less than 4000 rounds. Sent it to them. They had it for 4 months and did jack shit with it. Sent it back to me and said good luck. So I put it in my tumbler then beat 7 ounces of shit out of it in the sink under the faucet. This ended up loosening a baffle. Called them and they said they could fix it. Just kidding, they couldn’t. Then they recommended destroying it and giving me a new dagger at 50% cost. I said OK. That was last February. Still don’t even have it to my dealer. Just been getting the run around. Mostly about having Smith and Wesson approve the discounted price. At one point I was told that S&W was a huge company and will eventually get to it. So almost a year later I have nothing. They destroyed my shitty can and have done nothing since. My local dealer is ready to get our attorney general after them. Won’t ever buy a thing from Gemtech again and especially not Smith and Wesson.

Yikes! It's all too common for acquisitions to ruin companies. I have mostly SilencerCo cans and they've been great but they had to lay off a bunch of people after everyone's starry-eyed fantasy of the HPA passing caused the market to slump. They've been having pretty regular 25~30% off sales so I worry they're going to get bought out or close down and then WTF will I do if I have a problem? :(

Reading this makes me extremely grateful of how well Silencerco, Deadair, and Rugged have treated me when I needed warranty or had questions. I can not recommend them enough.

Ill be sure to let my shooting circle know that gemtech is a no go and owned by S&W

Update on my cluster. They lost their own paper work certifying that my sandstorm was destroyed. So now we are waiting for approval to use some other form instead. This is in no way required by the ATF, just by Smith and Wesson to allow me a new can at 50% off. So they know they destroyed it, but can’t prove it to the mother company. So here I wait. Again.