• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Gemtech suppressed carrier review.

Cegorach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
Juneau, AK
There doesn't seem to be many reviews of these out there, so I thought I'd share my experience.

My primary AR is an SR15 mod 2 which has always been over gassed. When I put a suppressor on it (Thunderbeast Ultra 9, 223CB, and an AAC M4 2000) it made the problem way worse. The damn rifle recoiled like a .243, felt like it was a trying to tear itself apart, and wouldn't lock back on an empty magazine. Probably the most violent cycling AR I have felt. I asked KAC if they had any suggestions and was told I was out of luck.

With the somewhat proprietary gas system I couldn't easily go straight to an adjustable gas block to solve the problem. So, I decided I would try some different buffer and spring combinations to see if I could mitigate the issue. I got an H1, H2, and H3 buffer as well as a Geissele braided and JP buffer spring. After working through all the combinations I settled on the JP spring with H2 buffer as the best combo. This took the edge off the recoil and cut down on gas blow back a decent bit. But, it was still very snappy and ejecting at 1 to 2 o'clock.

As a side note, I was not at all impressed with the Geissele spring/buffer set-up. Even with their reduced diameter buffer it would frequently bind and did not feel nice to operate.

After getting frustrated with this I finally decided to try Gemtech's suppressed carrier. I ordered one, received it a few weeks ago, and have shot about 700 suppressed rounds through it since then. It has totally transformed the rifle. Hot 556 suppressed shoots smoother than 223 steel case unsuppressed now. I am amazed at just how much of an improvement it made. On the suppressed setting with a suppressor it shoots super smooth, has perfect ejection, and locks back on an empty mag every time. Without a suppressor on the suppressed carrier setting the rifle does become a single shot. However, when you switch it back to unsupressed mode it is business as usual again.

I have not had any gas system related failures yet when used on the correct setting. I will be interested to see if stays reliable through the winter, or whether it will turn out to be a little undergassed when it is cold. So far it is gassed at least well enough to not be bothered by 3-400 rounds of suppressor gunk.

All and all I am really impressed with just how well it worked in this situation. It may be more of a band-aid than anything, but so far so good.

Good report. I personally like the Bootleg adjustable carrier a lot better though. You get 4 settings to choose from, instead of just two, and the adjustment is made through the ejection port without taking the rifle apart. From the sounds of it, on your rifle you'd probably use setting #2 for normal use and #4 for suppressed use.

Oh, good reminder about the Bootleg carrier. If I have troubles from undergassing I will give that option a try.

As far gas gas blowback, the Gemtech carrier seems to send a lot more gas out of the ejection port rather than into the receiver. I do notice significantly more gas out to the side of the rifle. I haven't noticed questions big difference in gas coming back through the charging handle, but that's mainly because I had already solved that problem with an RTV gasket.

I have been running a Gemtech carrier for a while now and it does exactly what is advertised of it. It sends excess gas out the gas escape ports on the side of the carrier and not into your face. It moves brass ejection to the 4:30 position from the 2:30 position when running suppressed and when you chose to not run suppressed, you can easily make the switch and your weapon will continue to run fine. I have chosen to run it in lieu of an adjustable gas block for a variety of reasons of my own.

In short it does what Gemtech advertises and I can use it on other guns.

How does the gentech actually work? Does it restrict gas like an adjustable gas block or does it vent excess gas? Looks like the bootleg restricts but not sure about the gemtech.

Good to hear the feedback on the Gemtech piece... I purchased one to go in my RRA 458 SOCOM for when I run the SiCo Hybrid on it, but I haven't gotten a chance to get it to the range yet. Glad to hear that it works!

My Gemtech works really well on a 556 with an Omega. Soft shooting and 430 ejection. I am curious about the bootleg BCG...I kinda like the idea that the switch won't move unless the BCG is removed from the rifle....

I kinda like the idea that the switch won't move unless the BCG is removed from the rifle....

I'm not sure why that would be seen as a good feature. It's not like the switch just flops around easily and could be bumped out of position. You need a flat head screwdriver to adjust it, and it has very positive detents.

I guess I need to check out the bootleg bcg...I'm going to look for pictures. Can you remove the valve/switch for cleaning?

Thanks. BTW I'm becoming a big fan of the adjustable BCG.

Can anyone comment about how this carrier compares to a adjustable gas block with reference to gas in the eyes?

I would GUESS that the adjustable gas on the carrier wouldn't do much to alleviate gasface, because by the time the gas gets to the regulating mechanism, it's already adjacent to the ejection port in the upper.

I could be full of shit, though.

I used this on an MWS large frame AR, it worked better, but the challenge is it's only on and off. If you reload for precision purposes there is nothing like adjusting the gas flow based on load.

I went to an adjustable gas key to restrict the gas based on load. Sun Devil Manufacturing and Rubber City Armory makes them. The one that worked best was sun devil. It's about 50 bucks.

The gemtech carrier may or may not work with your ar10 bolt, it will not work with armalite, it's based only on sr25 design. No issues with the smaller ar15 version. It costs about $200.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...sed-fix-part-1

BCG Gas Key

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...sed-fix-part-2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A friend let me borrow his and I immediately ordered one after trying it out. I don't understand how, but it seemed far more effective than the adjustable gas block this rifle previously had (old barrel) and adjustable gas key that failed at a match.

This rifle will not see another suppressed round without the Gemtech carrier.

Even though I am getting perfect results with the Gemtech bcg and a specific rifle, I will try the bootleg bcg next

A friend let me borrow his and I immediately ordered one after trying it out. I don't understand how, but it seemed far more effective than the adjustable gas block this rifle previously had (old barrel) and adjustable gas key that failed at a match.

This rifle will not see another suppressed round without the Gemtech carrier.

Quoting myself to update. I ordered a new gemtech carrier and it does not run on suppressed at all. Constantly short stroking and choking. Disappointing since my friend's ran great.

The finish between the two seem very different. My newer one has a much slicker finish.

Suppressor is a Surefire Socom RC2. Maybe it's tuned for a suppressor with more backpressure.

Sorry to hear. Can we have more details on the rifle?

Quoting myself to update. I ordered a new gemtech carrier and it does not run on suppressed at all. Constantly short stroking and choking. Disappointing since my friend's ran great.

The finish between the two seem very different. My newer one has a much slicker finish.

Suppressor is a Surefire Socom RC2. Maybe it's tuned for a suppressor with more backpressure.

Call Joey at Gemtech:

(208) 939-7222
He will do everything he can to make it right.

An adjustable gas block, especially on like the Superlative Arms, is a better solution to the same issue. The only time adjustable carriers make sense is when you cannot (for whatever reason) use an AGB. And for those times I like the looks of the 2a Armament adjustable carrier.

Sure, the advantages of an AGB like the Superlative Arms over an adjustable carrier include:

1.) More setting settings which allows for more refined adjustment enhancing performance and reliability.

2.) Easier to adjust.

3.) Quieter to the shooter as the gas vents further away.

4.) Allows for use of better BCGs like the LMT Enhanced.

5.) Is system agnostic so it can be used on AR10, AR15s, and everything in between (like DPMS GII).

So basically it is just a better solution all around. As I said there is still a place for adjustable carriers / keys when you cannot change the block (like on the Falkor Draco's).

3.) Quieter to the shooter as the gas vents further away.

Or go one step further and use a gas block that doesn't vent at all. Magic!

It's amazing how many people get suckered by Superlative's marketing, and then go recommend it to everyone else too.

Although Bell's testing was done with mediocre equipment, it did seem to show a decrease in noise and gas to the shooter with the SA block. The physics also make sense, because it vents away from the shooter.

Do you have evidence to the contrary?

Yes, non-venting is quieter than venting. Send the gas through the suppressor where it belongs, not vented to atmosphere unsuppressed. That doesn't fit the rhetoric for this latest "venting gas block" fad, but marketing =/= truth

Try actually comparing to a properly adjusted non-venting gas block, instead of these silly comparisons (and Superlative's marketing points) where everything is in comparison to a typical overgassed rifle that isn't tuned right.

So you don't have any evidence, which is exactly what I expected. As I said, Bell did test restrictive vs. bleed off and bleed off was quieter, although his gear wasn't the greatest.

And you are wrong, if you don't vent the gas it doesn't stay in the suppressor, it vents out the unlocked chamber back at the shooter. That is why there is more noise and gas to the shooter when not venting. At least that is what the initial data indicates.

So you don't have any evidence, which is exactly what I expected. As I said, Bell did test restrictive vs. bleed off and bleed off was quieter, although his gear wasn't the greatest.

And you are wrong, if you don't vent the gas it doesn't stay in the suppressor, it vents out the unlocked chamber back at the shooter. That is why there is more noise and gas to the shooter when not venting. At least that is what the initial data indicates.

That's not what shooting them back to back indicates.

Are you one of those people who thinks the only "evidence" is internet links to someone else's experience? Brilliant.

No, evidence is evidence as in something you can provide to help prove a claim. If you have both to shoot back to back, why not rent a meter and take a video for us all? That is what MBell did and that data showed it being quieter. However the meter really wasn't high enough quality to be definitive. So instead of making baseless claims, why not back up yours with a video so we all know?

Got a couple of these for my 6920’s. I’m running the Surefire RC2 on both rifles and they work perfectly with the Gemtech BCG.

Ejection pattern went from 1 o’clock to 4 o’clock once I switched to the suppressed setting.

Got mine from Oakland Tactical last week - everyone else was out of stock.

Big fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that the gemtech BCG might be done....I hope that is not the case.

My testing of the Gemtech bolt carrier resulted in verifying the reduction of blowback (on both 10.5” and 11.5” 5.56 subppressed sbr’s). I use an H3 buffer and could not ascertain a noticeable reduction in felt recoil between the Gemtech and standard bolt carrier.

Other observations made during testing included:

a) With the increased gas escaping from the bolt carrier ports, noise at the ear increased
b) The rail became exponentially warmer due to the extra gas traveling thru the gas tube vs. using the standard bolt carrier.

So what do you recommend? i have a 20" barrel with a 5.3 oz buffer. my rounds are ejecting at 1 o'clock. i am deciding btwn the Bootleg adj carreir or the superlative arms adj gas block. The reason why I don't want to buy the gas block is I am afriad I am going to screw up the finish on the barrel when I take off the old gas block. Will the new bcg affect the accuarcy because I have about 1000 rds down my barrel with the old bcg?

The gas block is a far better option. Just get the clamp on and it shouldn't mess up the finish if you are careful.