• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Gen2 PST 5x25 issues?

Thanks for posting this. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. Too good to pass up. Will be my first Vortex scope. Have Leupold, Nikon and SS SWFA. Among other things, Looking forward to playing with the reticle.
I mounted a PST Gen 2 5-25 with the EBR2D to my HMR Pro earlier this year and I'm very happy with it. IMO, $1000 is still a good deal, but when I found mine for $750, I couldn't pass it up. I think there is a good chance you'll be happy with it unless your used to something much different.

I've seen mostly all positives since posting this thread, however I decided to just take another few months to save up and go straight for the 4.5x27 gen2 Razor. Buy once, cry once kids
No judgement from me about that either. :)

Reactions: Casey_H
The zero stop on my Gen II PST 5-25 slipped out of time. It was slipping about half a mil past where the zero stop should have been stopping it. Called Vortex, and one of their guys immediately emailed me a simple video on how to reset it.

I think I induced the malfunction by trying to rezero without unscrewing the zero stop first. I am very happy overall with my purchase, its been over a year now.

The zero stop on my Gen II PST 5-25 slipped out of time. It was slipping about half a mil past where the zero stop should have been stopping it. Called Vortex, and one of their guys immediately emailed me a simple video on how to reset it.

I think I induced the malfunction by trying to rezero without unscrewing the zero stop first. I am very happy overall with my purchase, its been over a year now.
Good to hear.

I did the same this am, talked to Tim at Vortex. He talked me through the process, then sent me the video. At his suggestion, it's posted here:

PST Gen 2 Zero Stop tune up.

Thanks Tim, works great.

I mounted a PST Gen 2 5-25 with the EBR2D to my HMR Pro earlier this year and I'm very happy with it. IMO, $1000 is still a good deal, but when I found mine for $750, I couldn't pass it up. I think there is a good chance you'll be happy with it unless your used to something much different.

Would you happen to have any youtube videos (bookmarked) on this scope that would fast track the learning curve?

I could be tempted to buy another.....if they're still available.

Would you happen to have any youtube videos (bookmarked) on this scope that would fast track the learning curve?

I could be tempted to buy another.....if they're still available.
I don't. If you go to youtube and type in "PST gen II 5-25" you'll see several though.

I don't. If you go to youtube and type in "PST gen II 5-25" you'll see several though.
Good advice. I'm guessing that the closeout on these scopes (with Europtics) is because of the reticle? All else is the same....I'm guessing.

Good advice. I'm guessing that the closeout on these scopes (with Europtics) is because of the reticle? All else is the same....I'm guessing.
Yep. Midway had the same scope EBR-2D(MOA) for same $749. I bought mine back in Jan at this price.

Yep. Midway had the same scope EBR-2D(MOA) for same $749. I bought mine back in Jan at this price.
I'm assuming that this scope is being closed out because of changes in the reticle, namely the EBR-2D. The current manufacture is the EBR-7C. I'm curious as to the advantages (if any) of one reticle over the other.

Don't forget that Vortex has discounts for active/prior service vets. 40% from MSRP. I got my Razor HD 5-20 for 1400. for example.
This is a great program but there's limited availability on a lot of products. If you have the time / feel like waiting you can get killer deals like Razor HD Gen II for $1740 but will have to wait for a while to come up in-stock. I've been on the waiting list for a few things for a while now.

Reactions: LG65CM
I'm assuming that this scope is being closed out because of changes in the reticle, namely the EBR-2D. The current manufacture is the EBR-7C. I'm curious as to the advantages (if any) of one reticle over the other.
There is a thread on here discussing that. It was worth the difference to a few folks to pay the extra $250 but wasn't worth it to me.

There is a thread on here discussing that. It was worth the difference to a few folks to pay the extra $250 but wasn't worth it to me.
Can you point me in the direction of that thread.....or suggest the keywords? I'd be interested to know the difference. Thanks, btw.

This is a great program but there's limited availability on a lot of products. If you have the time / feel like waiting you can get killer deals like Razor HD Gen II for $1740 but will have to wait for a while to come up in-stock. I've been on the waiting list for a few things for a while now.
I last and only did it one time and thru Optics Planet. 40% from MSRP ( $2000) and I bought the Razor HD 5-20x50mm , mils/mils, EBR-2B ret for $1400. This was 2-3 yrs back, and again only experience using the program I have.

Yep, I seem to remember reading the 2D was an exclusive run for Midway, but perhaps they were not selling etc. as Midway blew them out a long time ago, pretty cheap I think the 3-15's were $600 or so. I've seen the 5-25 as cheap as $700. Once that started others showed up at a couple other dealers on clearance as well.

Posts #43/44 cover the differences between the two versions with diagrams. Given the choice at the same price I'd take the 7C everytime, the fact that the 2D does not illuminate the tree or any numbers in the reticle alone is a plus for the 7C version that illuminates the whole reticle, I also prefer the open circle dot compared to the cross in the center.

That said I consider the 5-25 Gen 2 one of the best value choices, so if value is the main plus, I'm not sure paying $200-300 more for a reticle option still follows that path. It's all a $ game though, you can say $250 more for a 7C isn't a big deal, but then it's only another $250 to a Nightforce SHV, and another $250 to a 3-18 razor gen 2, another $250 to a razor gen 2 4.5-27, and another $250 to the new NX8.

Yep, I seem to remember reading the 2D was an exclusive run for Midway, but perhaps they were not selling etc. as Midway blew them out a long time ago, pretty cheap I think the 3-15's were $600 or so. I've seen the 5-25 as cheap as $700. Once that started others showed up at a couple other dealers on clearance as well.

Posts #43/44 cover the differences between the two versions with diagrams. Given the choice at the same price I'd take the 7C everytime, the fact that the 2D does not illuminate the tree or any numbers in the reticle alone is a plus for the 7C version that illuminates the whole reticle, I also prefer the open circle dot compared to the cross in the center.

That said I consider the 5-25 Gen 2 one of the best value choices, so if value is the main plus, I'm not sure paying $200-300 more for a reticle option still follows that path. It's all a $ game though, you can say $250 more for a 7C isn't a big deal, but then it's only another $250 to a Nightforce SHV, and another $250 to a 3-18 razor gen 2, another $250 to a razor gen 2 4.5-27, and another $250 to the new NX8.
I completely agree. I decided to go big or go home. Just ordered a Gen II Razor with a 7C after a few weeks of talking myself up from the Viper PST

I completely agree. I decided to go big or go home. Just ordered a Gen II Razor with a 7C after a few weeks of talking myself up from the Viper PST
I just did the same thing...

I was looking at PST Gen 2 and Athlon Ares ETR. I just decided to take my own advice and "buy once, cry once" and get the Razor Gen 2 4.5-27. I've had decent optics before but never anything really high-end. I always end up with a new optic then wish I'd held out a little longer for better. This time I don't think I'm going to be 2nd-guessing my choice.

I just did the same thing...

I was looking at PST Gen 2 and Athlon Ares ETR. I just decided to take my own advice and "buy once, cry once" and get the Razor Gen 2 4.5-27. I've had decent optics before but never anything really high-end. I always end up with a new optic then wish I'd held out a little longer for better. This time I don't think I'm going to be 2nd-guessing my choice.
The only downside I've heard people say about the Razor is that it's heavy. But for us with chassis guns that's not a big deal. For hunting purposes there are others that are just as good and lighter

The only downside I've heard people say about the Razor is that it's heavy. But for us with chassis guns that's not a big deal. For hunting purposes there are others that are just as good and lighter
Pretty much my feeling on it. It is heavy but I'm running a 24" heavy barrel action in an MDT Oryx chassis so an extra pound of scope really doesn't make an appreciable difference in the overall system weight. If this was a hunting rig or I planned to do a lot of offhand shooting then Vortex AMG or look at other brands.

Pretty much my feeling on it. It is heavy but I'm running a 24" heavy barrel action in an MDT Oryx chassis so an extra pound of scope really doesn't make an appreciable difference in the overall system weight. If this was a hunting rig or I planned to do a lot of offhand shooting then Vortex AMG or look at other brands.
Yes exactly. I'm running a 22" heavy 6.5 Creed in an MPA so I'm in the same boat

Plus I gotta say I'm a snob for nice colors. I wish more brands would do their scopes in FDE or OD or just something other than black. That flat bronze on the Razor is just plain nice to look at in my opinion

I have a few of the Gen2 PST's I love them for the money. None have needed any kind of service. I do have a Diamondback Tactical back at Vortex right now because it had terrible clarity issues, we'll see how they do on that one.
Please give us an update when you get the scope back.

I have 3 Viper pst's. Gen1 4-24x50, gen2 5-25x50 and gen1 2.5-20x44. My 2.5-10 is mounted on my 6.5 Grendel which most of time attached to my Honda rancher. Hundreds of miles of rocks and bouncing. It has never came off zero. I have had it for many years. I dial it up and down as it is for coyote hunting. I dial it at the range and always returns to zero. No issues with any. Would like to try a razor next.

From today's PRS match. His second one to break. I think he's done.

Save up for the Razor. They are a fantastic optic.

Is the shaft breaking from just coming back to the zero stop too hard, or is it failing due to something else?

Wow - that's an interesting break point. I have a PST Gen II 3-15x that's been on a 308 gas gun for a few years now. It's been rock solid for me - with one exception. When I first purchased it, the parallax was off. Sent it back to Vortex and they over-nighted me a brand new one and haven't had any issues since then.

Luckily he had a back up rifle. The 223 in the background got off the bench and put in the game for the day.

It didnt have the horsepower for a few of the targets, but better than going home early..

From today's PRS match. His second one to break. I think he's done.

Save up for the Razor. They are a fantastic optic.

Could that damage result from tightening the three screws to tight?

ive ran a gen one PST 6-24 for about 5 years no issues to note, about to snag a gen 2 5-25 ffp for like 770 in the near future as well they are good solid scopes.

now my Scar did kill a 1-8 strike eagle but thats a lower level scope and i had a replacement in no crap 10 days, since then i have reduced my gas port and have had no issues

By my shooting partner and myself use the PST 5x25 (although I mostly use a MK5), and I'd say that we have had fairly good luck. He did manage to break the elevation stem in his scope when returning to zero after the last stage of a match earlier this summer (best timing I've ever seen). Since that was Saturday, he emailed Vortex on Monday. Because he had another match that week, they overnighted him a replacement that same day and emailed him a shipping label to return his broken scope.

With that in mind, all scopes have trouble from time to time. Vortex will always make it right, so that makes me a loyal customer. Obviously, the PST glass isn't going to complete with my MK5 or any other "higher" end scope, but it is still very usable. The turrets track like a champ and are fairly crisp. I would buy a throw lever since it really makes the magnification ring more usable. Other than that, just don't ever spend more than $800 on a PST as they are always on sale somewhere for less.

After originally posting this thread, I decided to go with the 4.5x27 Razor in an MPA mount. Zero'd it this past Sunday. Awesome scope with good glass and better turrets than the PST. Following the saying "buy once, cry once" is definitely the way to go. The MPA unimount is also super slick for the price. Just over half the cost of a Spuhr. I'll take the setup out to distance in a couple weeks time but I don't expect any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_180403_537.jpg
    IMG_20190909_180403_537.jpg
    694.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Birddog6424
Good choice.
My only initial (minor) dislike about it is the magnification range. Reticle it's too small below 10x to be easily useable, and obviously FOV is small above 20x. Not a huge deal, but if I was the one who had designed this scope I would've made it a 5x25 or 6x24.

Reactions: wade2big
My only initial (minor) dislike about it is the magnification range. Reticle it's too small below 10x to be easily useable, and obviously FOV is small above 20x. Not a huge deal, but if I was the one who had designed this scope I would've made it a 5x25 or 6x24.
I believe the reticle size issue is only an issue with the FFP. My only issue with this scope is a real tight illumination turret. Other than that, I think it's a terrific scope for the money.

If Vortex would go back to the thicker reticle like it had in the Gen 1 Razor, the Gen II would be much improved. I don’t understand the draw to reticles with .03 mil thickness. The Steiner MSR reticle is at least .05 mil. The 3-15 PST gen ii is also .05 mil. That is as thin as they should be. Who cares if it covers slightly more of the target. The rifle isn’t shooting a laser beam anyhow. You ain’t missing because of a thicker reticle. It is possible to not see it well being so thin especially when not in great lighting.

I have to admit, while I don't disagree with your logic I find myself disappointed at the range every time I shoot my 3-15 with my 5-25's because the reticle is so much thicker, it just "feels" less precise. Then again I'm a huge fan of the the center open dot and would trade my 2D's for 7C's in a heartbeat.

I have to admit, while I don't disagree with your logic I find myself disappointed at the range every time I shoot my 3-15 with my 5-25's because the reticle is so much thicker, it just "feels" less precise. Then again I'm a huge fan of the the center open dot and would trade my 2D's for 7C's in a heartbeat.
Its all preference of course. For stricly range use, the thin reticle is fine. For a multi use rig, too much is given up. I dont hunt on a wide open prairie in broad daylight which is why a Vortex AMG sucks as a hunting scope.

I don’t think a shooter is being more precise with a thinner reticle. The reticle probably covers less real-estate than the rifle and shooter are capable of anyhow especially in field conditions and positions.

Like i said though, its all personal preference as is anything else. Sorry for the thread hijack. ?