• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

General Purpose Rifle - Barrel Contour (Standard vs Lightweight)

14.5" Barrel Contour

• Standard (~31 oz)

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Lightweight (~26 oz)

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Carbon (~25 oz)

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
You're trying to see something that just isn't the case and ignoring the data that doesn't fit your preconceived notion. As I stated above, heat build-up was not an issue for those groups because all of the shots were fired in a slow cadence. If your hypothesis was correct, then the smallest group that could possibly be obtained with the light-weight barrel would be the first group fired and group sizes would get progressively larger with each succeeding group with the last group fired being the largest group, yet that's just not what happens on a regular basis.

Here's the data that I posted above from a different Colt 16" light-weight barrel from six 10-shot groups fired in a row in a slow cadence.

Six 10-shot groups were fired in a row in a slow cadence. Those groups had extreme spreads of:

1.18”

1.92”

1.28”

2.53”

0.96”

2.24”

for an average extreme spread of 1.69”. Using RSI Shooting Lab, I over-layed all six groups on each other to form a 60-shot composite group. The composite group had a mean radius of 0.56”.

colt_light_weight_barrel_60_shot_composi-2261726.jpg

If your hypothesis was correct, the first group would have had the smallest extreme spread, but that wasn't the case. The fifth group had the smallest extreme spread.

If your hypothesis was correct, the third group would have had a larger extreme spread than the second group, but that wasn't what happened.

If your hypothesis was correct, the sixth group would have had the largest extreme spread, but that wasn't the case. The fourth group had the largest extreme spread.

In the first example that I posted that only had three 10-shot groups, it was just the "luck of the draw" for that particular set of groups.

Thanks for spelling it out in simpleton terms!! Mo data, mo betta conclusions hahaha