• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

General question

solarflarearts

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
I know everyone has a wealth of knowledge here and I thank you. I am starting to reload 308 and I am looking for opinions on Flat-Base vs Boattail Bullets at 100,500 and 1000yds.

Flat-based bullets are known to be very accurate, but suffer aerodynamically compared to boat-tail bullets. Flat-based bullets are typically used as target bullets at shorter distances, so your better off going with a boat-tail bullet when shooting 500-yards and beyond.

Last edited:
Solarflarearts,

Generally speaking, flat-based bullets have a bit more tolerance for poor quality barrels (tight or loose spots in the bore) than boat tails do, so that may be an advantage if you're dealing with something less than a "match" quality barrel. Boat tails give an undeniable ballistic advantage once you start stretching things out past 300 yards or so, so they get the edge for LR shooting. Benchrest competitors use flat based bullets almost exclusively, but then they shoot at 100, 200 and in some cases 300 yards. Once you get to the 1,000 yard Benchrest game, boat tails across the board.

One really isn't "better" than the other until you start talking about specific applications. For some, the FB may be the better choice, for others, the BT will be the way to go. Keep your options open and just remember that it isn't either one or the other. You can use both, as the situation calls for. This is what handloading is all about; flexibility and options, tailoring ammo to YOUR particular rifle.

Well, it sounds like you are a paper puncher and intend to try your luck at 500/1000 yards? So, there is no denying that the boat tail bullet flies better at longer ranges.

Full disclosure, I use a lot more flat base bullets than boattail because I do more bench work and hunting situations, (live targets) where I do not trust the boattail for retaining it's core. Okay, it only happened once, but it was a classic failure and I will give up the ballistic advantage, for reliability, and I don't ethically shoot at animals beyond my ability. But, up to that point, I need confidence in the bullet of my choice.

Your mission is in finding the boattail that works for you, and there are many to choose from. Accuracy depends, (one consideration) on a base that is square to the axis of the bore and it seems like it's harder to manufacture accurately, than with a flat base bullet. On the other hand, I shoot flat base bullets @ 500 yards and am satisfied they are competitive, as far as accuracy, but the BC is not nearly as good as some of the VLD designs. Everybody has choices to make, bullet shape is a major consideration based on application.

So, don't swim upstream, if you want to bang away at a thousand yards, more people have success with a boattail design. BB