• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Georgia on my mind "Gradous" UPDATE!

rubicon_unlimited

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2009
Tomah, WI
I have all the parts together for my trip to Hephzibah, GA to spend a long weekend with Robert Gradous. Now if I could only make up my mind on 6.5X47 or .260?????

Surgeon 591
Kmw Sentinel
Jewell Trigger
31" Krieger 6.5 1:8 Light Varmint
APA Little Bastard Brake
Steiner 5-25 MSR
Spuhr mount
Atlas Bipod

Last edited:
all his rifles are excellent....but his 47s are amazing. if i had a pile of varget id do 47. if i had a pile of 4350 id go 260. kinda ridiculious but as hard as powder is to come by that would be the factor

all his rifles are excellent....but his 47s are amazing. if i had a pile of varget id do 47. if i had a pile of 4350 id go 260. kinda ridiculious but as hard as powder is to come by that would be the factor

I have several #s of both, but I use H4350 for my other .260 and 6XC, and only use Varget for my .308, which I rarely load for, also have a shit ton of small rifle primers. I am leaning towards the 6.5 because of powder, and thats also what Robert recommended. Only reason I am thinking .260 is because I am familiar with it, I have tons of brass and wouldn't have to tool up for another caliber.

That will be very nice. Does the action have the regular or small fp hole? If small, then either or, if large, I'd stay 260.

6.5x47L all the way.... But, if I were in your shoes, I would grab another 6.5 barrel blank, have Surgeon overnight a short action magnum bolt and build a 6.5x47L / 6.5 SAUM switch barrel while I was there..

Last edited:
6.5x47L all the way.... But, if I were in your shoes, I would grab another 6.5 barrel blank, have Surgeon overnight a short action magnum bolt and build a 6.5x47L / 6.5 SAUM switch barrel while I was there..

I like the way you think! But, I have a 6.5SAUM, Alpha11, Sentinel build that should be done any day with SAC. I did think about a 6.5/6XC switch barrel.

I have both calibers from Robert.They are exact twins except for optics It is a coin toss as to which one is better. The only reason I may prefer the 260 a little over the 47 is because it has Sphur mounts and a 10x50 Bender scope while the 47 has a March 10x 60 scope. It seems a little more rugged. You can not go wrong with either caliber. They are both one holers if Robert builds them for you.

Georgia on my mind "Gradous"

First things first we have a baler to fix...

5yze6ura.jpg

Last edited:
Georgia on my mind "Gradous" UPDATE!

Now its time to build a rifle! Going to hit it hard in the morning, more pics to follow.

utujebej.jpg
u6uva2uz.jpg
ata3avyt.jpg
4e5ahesa.jpg
dusu2yse.jpg

Last edited:
This rifle is the picture of my dream rifle....now to find a surgeon 591.

Lol Chicken or the Egg? I understand that ALL of the actions listed will out perform me, but by golly the Surgeon wets my whistle and the fact that I cant have one atm just makes it worse
That being said if anyone knows of one collecting dust somewhere....?thread officially hijacked! Sorry I'll take my begging someplace else

Last edited:
Rubicon, that is a beautiful rifle!
I have to say that the KMW is the most intriguing part of the build for my eye. As a long-time AI shooter I just keep wondering and wishing I could get behind one of those Sentinel stocks.
Papa, I agree that the 591 is over rated. There are many great actions on the market now (as you mentioned) and they are more available.
That said, my experience with Surgeon products and support are nothing less than top shelf.

Rubicon, that is a beautiful rifle!
I have to say that the KMW is the most intriguing part of the build for my eye. As a long-time AI shooter I just keep wondering and wishing I could get behind one of those Sentinel stocks.
Papa, I agree that the 591 is over rated. There are many great actions on the market now (as you mentioned) and they are more available.
That said, my experience with Surgeon products and support are nothing less than top shelf.

I was not a fan of the AI or the Manners t5 thumb holes. The Sentinel is different , it just feels right. Call up Terry and order one, you can't go wrong. If you don't like it you can sell it for more than you paid for it.

I love this thread! Robert is the only guy that I know who invited anyone to come build a rifle on his equipment. I've said it before, but this is truly a great experience for anyone wanting to build their own precision rifle without having to invest a ton of money on tools, and wasted time on guess work.

That build looks fantastic, and congrats on the whole experience. I've never met Robert, and certainly don't know him, but if I could I would love to spend a little time with him.

I was not a fan of the AI or the Manners t5 thumb holes. The Sentinel is different , it just feels right. Call up Terry and order one, you can't go wrong. If you don't like it you can sell it for more than you paid for it.

I agree with above. Sentinel is well thought out. It just feels right.

I have one with 308 (Surgeon) and 260 (Stiller Tac 30) barreled actions that are interchangeable. Both shoot great.

What charge are you running with Varget?

gasyjuna.jpg

Here is my h4350 target[/QUOTE

I was down two months ago, for a very similar build. If you are shooting it long run the 140 hybrid and H-4350 his reamer has a boat load of FB. Mine shot the same as yours with a half grain less. Now it shoots the same in an upper node. It absolutely rocks, I was banging steel at 1100 yesterday. I wont list my load but you can PM.

It's an awesome experience to spend the weekend with Rob. Hope you had the chance to stay at the Rattle Snake Inn!

That's a beautiful rifle man, and from the looks at the last target you posted it was well worth the trip!

.0945" for three or five.
Tighten up Rubi!!!!!

Just kiddin' man. That is a beauty.
I'd order one of them KMW Sentinel stocks if the wife hadn't got a new Mercedes this week. That put a gap in the bank book.

.0945" for three or five.
Tighten up Rubi!!!!!

Just kiddin' man. That is a beauty.
I'd order one of them KMW Sentinel stocks if the wife hadn't got a new Mercedes this week. That put a gap in the bank book.

Jerry,

Any time you want to get behind a Sentinel let me know. I have a couple sitting here.

Now that's what I call an exciting weekend... One day it will be my turn for Gradous weekend trip!

Very nice build !