• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Gerber LMF II... thoughts?

nleaders

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2011
AZ
What are your thoughts on this blade. I have been eyeing the coyote brown LMF II kit. I am just looking for an all around knife that will work for a variety of jobs.

Re: Gerber LMF II... thoughts?

I like mine... A LOT. It's rugged and strong and its price is relatively low cost compared to some other "survival" knives on the market. You can beat the hell out of it and it will continue to function perfectly.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. Is the sheath MOLLE compatible?

The LMF II is one heck of a knife for $60. I thougt long and hard about buying a $300-$400 knife from one of the big names, but after handling the Gerber I just could not justify the additional cost. You'll like it.

I do like the Rat, but I really don't want to spend more than I have to in order to get a nice blade. Do you think that the LMF is no good?

I'll start off by saying that I'm not a knife guy, so I can't really comment on grade of steel etc... but I can tell you that I bought the LMF from LA police gear for $65. I've had it for about a year and beat the shit out of the it and it has kept it's edge. Its really solid and has the features that I would expect from a good survival knife. I keep in in my truck but will probably buy a second one to throw in a B.O.B. I'm sure there are better knives that cost hundreds of dollars, but for $65, I feel like it's a pretty smokin deal.

I only have older Gerbers so I couldnt tell ya if their new blades are Good or Bad.But again for 65 dollar range if you save up another 20 youll be in Rat country.Try searhing for ontario knives ranger series also most are made in America along with Rat and Esse.And also Becker makes a great knife the BK2 for 60 bucks.

I would recommend one. Very good knife for the money. Had mine for a year now. Used it fairly hard and it holds an edge good. The sheath is molle and belt compatible.

I have had one for about three years now. It is a quality piece of equipment that will serve you well.

They aren't fancy, they don't make you feel especially tacticool for having made a huge investment in a name, and they work well enough.

Ive had one for a few months now and have used the shit out of it also. Itll pry open truck doors and cut almost anything but it is a bit too heavy and bulky for some of shit I need it for. I would say go for it if you dont mind the weight and size. Good blade for the price.

The LMF is a good knife but I'd go for the Becker BK2 for the same price.

So many opinions. Thanks for all the thoughts guys!

it is a great knife for survival. the steel is not the worst or the best. not sure of their warranty so i went with an Esee 5 and a 6. omg- the 5 can open a bank vault -heavy, carry the 6

my .02c

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had one for about three years now. It is a quality piece of equipment that will serve you well. </div></div>
I have had mine for about the same and it has worked great and been used for all kinds of stuff. If sharpened right it will hold a decent edge.

I've had mine for a few months. I have used this knife to pry open a wooden locker, split wood, and other hardy activities. The damn thing held up to just about anything I threw at it. Its damn good knife for the price. The only thing I dislike about the LMF II is the sheath. It's a pain in the ass to pull out but then again its not the knife, only the cover

Like another said, for the same price, I would go with the Becker BK2. Thicker blade. Better steel. I prefer non-serrated edges so I can sharpen them anytime.

Move up a little and get a Rat. Better steel. Micarta handles. Choice of serrated blade and color. Better balanced blade!

Move up ~$40 and get an ESEE. Sabre grind! Better and thicker steel than the Rat. Better craftsmanship. Unconditional warranty! Simply amazing knife!

If you're going to use it around the house, why not go with the Gerber? You will have other knives if something happens and can sharpen it. If you're going to throw it in a BOB or in a survival kit, I would not go with it. Either the Becker or ESEE.

I have both.

If you just need a knife then go with the Becker. Nice knife and I like the balance and feel of it. I consider the edge to be more for work than making ninja-style, mid-air, fruit chopping. I hate the lack of serrations, but that's my opinion.

If you need a tool then go with the Gerber. I've beaten the shit out of it. The whole concept of using it as a hammer is bullshit. The serrations are nice and long, and the tip can be broken. That is why I got a Becker Tac-tool. I figured that since I had a greater habit of using my knives as tools, then why not just get a tool?

If you are going to pry, get a pry bar. Clear some brush, get a machete or a scythe. Chop a small limb, get a hatchet. Chop a large limb, get an axe.

Bad things can happen when you try to use your Jackhawk 9000, to chop down a tree.

Wonderful knife for what it is designed for.
Especially for the price!

USCG uses it as one of the Air Crew Survival knives.
Gerber designed it around that mission.
As indicated by the name LMF II ASEK. (Aircrew Survival Egress Knife.)

I have had mine for about six years now and have not been disappointed.

I've had my ASEK for several years now and its still chugging along. My only dislike is how tight the sheath is on it. But I know I never have to worry about losing it.Anytime I'm in the woods, its on my belt. Cant go wrong with the BKT either though.

It is a good knife but I felt like there is too much handle and not enough blade. But that is just my personal opinion. I have a friend who loves his.

You can't go wrong with the LMF II ($100 odd on ebay). I absolutely love mine and everybody that handles it comment how great it feels in their hands. The leg holster is a major plus in my book.

Still waiting on an opportunity to use the glass breaking pommel!

Rodney.

Like mine. Just bought a 2nd. Only wish it had a fire starter built into the sheath like their Bear Grylls series.

-T

It's a good knife for the price. You can get some fancy pants knife for more money, but I will not be sad if the Gerber gets banged up and abused in the woods. It can do many things from splitting wood, cutting cord, sharpening sticks, killing things, cutting power lines, bashing stuff up.. Has a handy case that I keep attached to my backpack. Has a sharpener, glass/skull basher, non-conductive grip, etc. etc. What more do you need from a knife? It's a tool, not a status symbol...

I've had mine for about 3 years now. I carried it for a 13 month tour in Afghanistan and it saw some rough use. Being a soldier, my tools are usually what I have on me so it was used as a hammer, a chisel, a pry bar (lightly), a bludgeon, a cheese slicer, a random cardboard cutter and a shitload of other things it may or may not be designed for. It is scraped to hell, but still takes and holds an edge pretty well. Now, I have not had tested the "glass insulated" handle for cutting any 220V wires, but for the ~$50 I paid for it, it has more than exceeded it's value to me.

I really like mine, just ordered a second. I do wish someone made a sheath that could accomodate a fire starter and possible a small bit of tinder as well a sharpener.
Gerber also makes the Bear Grylls "survival" knife which is a lighter duty version fo the LMF. Its sheath isnt as heavy duty but does come with a sharpener and fire starter.

You will notice the common thread here is that people are USING their Gerber LMF's.

In opposition, most threads about custom knives talk about how people HAVE a custom knife, or two.

There is a lesson to be learned in that, somewhere.