• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos German Sub washes up on Hastings Beach.

Re: German Sub washes up on Hastings Beach.

Great Pic! Do you know any of the back story on how the u-boat washed up on shore and what happened to the crew?

john

An empty German submarine was washed ashore on the beach in front of Denmark Place in 1919. The submarine U118 had broken its towrope on the way from Cherbourg to Scapa Flow. It was welcomed as an unusual Easter attraction until a build-up of chlorine gas poisoned a group of coastguards, one of whom died on 21 February 1920. U118 was an extremely large submarine for its time and having surrendered to France on 23rd February 1919, it was eventually broken up at Brest during July 1921.

I'd like to know how in the hell it washed that friggin far up the beach? If you look at the overhead, it's right next to some buildings.

That must be one hell of a tide differential....

What gives?

That is beyond cool. I would loved to have seen that. Minus the deadly chlorine gas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">having surrendered to France on 23rd February 1919, </div></div>

wait what?

laugh.gif

*cough

That was a BIG boat for its time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> surrendered to France on 23rd February 1919</div></div>

I didnt know France ever won anything!

Don't you have to play or fight to win? If so France hasn't even been in the running. They do have cool tanks with one speed in forward and 4 in reverse.

Really cool story, and awesome pic. I love stuff like that. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really cool story, and awesome pic. I love stuff like that. Thanks! </div></div> Myself

Very cool pics. The accompanying website is cool too. Now days we'd be lied to by the press calming it is radioactive until the CIA gang could cart it off.