• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Get a motorcycle or not???

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
For you bikers out there, do you think these days are good for getting a motorcycle? I mean from a safety standpoint. I've been thinking really hard lately about getting my first street bike but I'm having a hard time getting past the dangers from other vehicles. You hear so many stories about how it doesn't matter how good you are, you will go down due to someone elses actions. Is it really as dangerous as it seems everyone makes it out to be?
I'm going on 39, so I believe I have the discipline to not get crazy, but I'm having a hard time trusting every knucklehead on the road with my life.

Re: Get a motorcycle or not???

My buddy and I rode Saturday, he almost got taken out from a car pulling out in front of him, today, it was my turn, same thing, both incidents there was only a couple of feet to spare. Its very dangerous out there, too much texting and talking on the phone, then theirs the people that don't like bike riders, period! I passed up a guy a couple of weeks ago, truck pulling a trailer driving slow, he chased me down and parked his bumper about 2 feet off my tail pipe, wouldn't back off!! until I yanked up my jacket and started drawing my pistol. I'm going to keep riding, its just to much of a gas saving, and the thrill. I'm also single, no kids, so I don't have the family to think about, if I did I wouldn't ride.
If you do get a bike, spend the money and get the gear, a good helmet, jacket and gloves, never ride in shorts, I like to ride a little aggresive, meaning,just a little faster than everyone else, keep an eye out behind you almost as much as in front.
Good luck if you get one, take a riders course

Don't trust them, trust yourself! IMHO, As long as you ride defensively I'd say go for it. Just don't get complacent! It is a great stress reliever also, 6 months after I started riding 2 years ago, my doctor took me off high blood pressure meds and haven't needed them since. I ride like every cager(anything with 4 wheels) is out to kill you. If you haven't taken the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation or similar course, I highly recommend it. There's a saying that you'll never find a motorcycle at a psychiatrist office, unless it's theirs, and bikers understand why a dog sticks his head out the window.

Ive been riding since I was about 8 years old. Ive crashed (minor) twice. Ive *almost* been taken out umpteen times by dumbasses. I can honestly say that my skill (ya I know, sounds arrogant) on a motorcycle saved my ass on several occasions.

Is it dangerous? Yes. Can the danger be managed by vigilance? Yes. Might you still get killed by bad luck? Certainly. Is it still worth it? Ya, it is.

Dallas is the WORST place to ride. There are highways around here I try very hard to avoid.

All in all, I say get your bike. Definately take the Motorcycle SAfety Course in your area. Take the Advanced one too.

Have fun! Lots of used bikes out there to look at!

Its not a matter of if, but when you crash. Whether it is your fault or not. I've been riding for decades, and love it. I've had my fair share of faults, as well as soccer moms on phones. One thing I have come to appreciate, loud pipes.

You're the only one who can decide if you're willing to accept the possible hazards of riding. That decision needs to take into account the specific areas where you will be riding. How much traffic, what kind of roads, what speeds, and how many blind intersections/driveways will you have to contend with? How much training and practice are you willing to invest in? How much in safety gear? What time of day will you be riding (rush hour/ after sundown)? All these factors will contribute to how comfortable you will be on a bike and how survivable a wreck will be if- God forbid- you do have one.

I got my first bike when I was 39 (just 2 years ago) and enjoy riding very much. I run in any temp as long as the roads are not icy, slushy, or snowy (18 degrees is my coolest ride so far). I have a fast cruiser and ride hard when no one else is around. But when other cars are within sight, I ride like they are trying to kill me. It's saved me from a couple nasty mishaps, both times with idiots running through intersections (one a stop sign, one a light that had been red for four full seconds before I got there). By riding paranoid when other vehicles are around, the fun factor is somewhat reduced, but when I have the road to myself, I own it and life is good! Of course out here I have to worry more about wild animals than other motorists...

Big upsides to bikes are relatively low maintenance costs, great fuel economy, and the sheer fun factor. Right now some of the deals available are wicked good. If I were in the market for a new bike, I'd look at a Victory. They're powerful, good looking, American made, and priced right. Used, I'd look at the bike I currently own, a V Star 1300. They're available for a song and they are a very underrated machine. Handling is kick-ass, they haul butt, and the liquid cooling means they do well in the hot weather in the mountains (where I pass quite a few air cooled bikes sitting on the side of the road cooling down after making a hard pull up a long grade).

No matter what machine you end up with, attend a MSF course. It's one of the best investments you will ever make.

I've been riding for 24 years now. Only accidents I've had have been my own fault. I'm not saying I haven't come close to having my ticket punched by some cager clown because I have but awareness and defensive driving helps!

Is it worth it???? To me it is! Its my alone time, good for self reflection.

I rode for 16 years, right up until I had a kid... Having had a few get-offs and more than a few close calls with cagers I figured I was pushing my luck riding any longer as I want to be around for my kids...

Go to theync.com (NSFW), and if you're anything like me... you'll never ride on a motorcycle, let alone even sit on one!!!

But thats just me... the same argument could be had with automobiles too, but atleast a car or truck gives u a fightin chance if u, or other dumbasses fuck up!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been riding since I was about 8 years old. Ive crashed (minor) twice. Ive *almost* been taken out umpteen times by dumbasses. I can honestly say that my skill (ya I know, sounds arrogant) on a motorcycle saved my ass on several occasions.
</div></div>

I think that being a rider and having a well developed skill for guessing what people are going to do before they do translates into being a good cager as well.

If you get a bike do you think you can put me in your will? Just leave me the guns..

Been riding on the street since 1978. It has never been more dangerous than it is now. Unattentive people yakking on cell phones, texting, putting on makeup, eating, smoking, or all of the above at the same time. People who have had no formal driving class, driver's license, insurance, or concept of time and speed (ie illegals) are everywhere now. More SUV's on the road now too (hard to see around, etc), but that trend may be reversing.

Small towns may be better. My experience is in Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, etc.

Before you do anything else, get your license, take a MSF course. Then rent bikes and ride around. You will then be able to assess the risk/reward for yourself.

I have had so many close calls over the years I can't count. I have a titanium rod in my leg. My 9 lives were used up long ago, so God must be watching over me.

Yes, I still have a bike. I hurt too much to ride much, and downsized from crotch rockets to a putt-putt, just to feel the road once in a awhile...

Good luck with your decision.

klr_vegas_web.jpg

If you have been riding for a while, you will know people who have been killed or crippled for life. Is the risk worth it, depends on your circumstance. You will find very few things in life more thrilling than motorcycles. If you do decide to buy one.

Do's:

Get the best gear possible ie. Helmets-Arai or Shoei. Leathers- Alpinestar, Dainese,and Bates. Boots-Sidi. Full finger gloves, I prefer gauntlet for coverage. Any body-part you like to have skin and flesh on, cover it with protective gear. It is not a matter of if your going to crash, it is a matter of when you are going to crash! Take an MSF course!

Dont's:

DRINK and RIDE. Get sucked into group riding at a unsafe pace for your skill level. Commute on it Monday through Friday, depending on where you live.

Remember, you will be sharing the roadway with driver's who are:

Drunk,high on drugs,medicated,tired,distracted by disruptive children,going through a nasty divorce,eating,drinking,talking on the phone,texting,young,old,poor eyesight,Diabetic,unlicensed,illegale immigrants, those who are not looking out for you. Cars that are uninsured, improperly maintained with bald tires and bad brakes.etc. Paranoid yet?

Good luck!
cool.gif

Everything fun in life involves some danger. I like Women, and they are a hell of a lot more dangerous than motorcycles. Get one, and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Been riding since late 70's. Way different now than it was even 15 years ago. Cell phones and busy lives have made it a danger zone out there.
You can still ride but I will caution new riders that have no street experience or dirt bike experience.
Take rider safety courses/schools.
Buy the best full face helmet you can afford (I prefer white so it's easy to be seen).
Buy an armored riding jacket.
wear jeans at the least.
Buy some good riding boots.
Buy a good pair of riding gloves.
I have slid down asphalt roads and road rash is nothing you want to laugh at.
When the idiots riding crotch rockets at 130 mph with flip flops, shorts and muscle shirts hit the asphalt.. It ain't pretty. (My ground beef from the grocery looks better than they do), so armor up.
Everyone that rides a lot will eventually fall over, or hit the blind curve with gravel in the middle of it. It happens.
Stay visible and assume that cars don't even see you. Stay out of blind spots. If you think you have the right-a-way= you probably will get run over.
Man... I sound like my dad.
Riding is one of the most enjoyable adventures out there, but with some freedom comes risk..... But it is worth it.
Be careful and have fun.
.....SmokeRolls

Men ride, pussies don't. Pussies wish they had a bike, wish they rode, and wish they were men
grin.gif

There is a hard fact of life associated with riding a motorcycle. People in cars, water, leaves, oil, all conspire to introduce you to the ground. Sooner or later, if you ride long enough, you too will become a member of the fallen. It's a fact of motorcycle life, accepted by all, and many try hard to make it not happen.
Take both levels of MSF/Full Throttle riding classes(HD has Rider's Edge) and get out there and ride. Wear a solid helmet, wear a good jacket with armored elbows and shoulders, gloves, and at least under jean knee pads if you live in a place with heavy traffic. If there isn't heavy traffic, take the risk you can bear, but freakin RIDE!
Life is good when ya hear that sucker fire up and it's hitting on both cylinders through an unbaffled race pipe!

It's funny, all the reading I've been doing kinda puts the responses into 3 buckets:

- Die-Hards: These are the guys that have been riding forever and no matter what happens they will always ride, even if the bike has to be modified to hold a wheelchair.
- The Foolish: These are the ones who say "no guts, no glory". Without risks, what good is life. These are usually the young punks on crotch rockets or the arrogant folks that think they are too good to get nailed.
- The Wise: These are the ones that say you will wreck at some point. Do everything you can to prepare for that event. If you aren't willing to accept that risk, don't ride.

I've ridden dirt bikes but never had a street bike. My biggest concern are the other drivers. You can try to mitigate that aspect with gear, training and practice, but you can't control it. As much as I want to do this, I also have two young boys that factor heavily into the equation. I would hate to be maimed or killed and miss them growing up. Not sure if the probability of wrecking on a bike is greater than a car, but it is certainly less forgiving by orders of magnitude.

Interesting conversation. Thanks for the responses. Sounds like this is one of those times where I just need to go with my better judgement and not with the care-free adrenaline rush that I loved when I was younger. Ok Switch, go ahead and yell it ---PUSSY!:)

Take the safety course.
Wear armor, wear boots. 95 degrees outside - wear it.

Have fun.

PRETEND YOU ARE INVISIBLE and that no other driver can see you.

I've found that driving SLIGHTLY aggressive keeps me out of blind spots and seems to h elp - be proactive.

And for once I LIKE loud pipes, I can be heard!!!!!!!!

This lil bike here, the Suzuki S50 - 803CC engine with TONS of torque...love it!

SuzukiS50b.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I also have two young boys that factor heavily into the equation. I would hate to be maimed or killed and miss them growing up.</div></div>

Well, yeah, but that can happen any day for a number of reasons. Our new Japanese Chernobyl, the next big quake/tornado/mudslide/housefire etc can take any of us out at any time. Throw in disease: heart problems, cancer, and so on; stir in a little terrorist lunacy until it's easy to see why the odds of living forever are mighty slim. Every day is a gift. That's why they call it the present.
Buy enough insurance to take care of your kids. You should do that anyway. Then go ride. Teach them to ride when they are older. Ride with them, and make memories. I used to ride with my dad, when we were both younger and (maybe) crazier, and it was great. I've been riding for over 40 years, used to road race, motocross, and drag race. Some of the most fun I've ever had has been on two wheels, and also some pretty severe pain. I've been centerpunched by a cager, and ever since, I walk funny when I'm tired. I destroyed my right knee, and I'm not even going to count stitches and roadrash acreage that I earned when I was younger and stupider. And healed faster.
I still ride- currently on a KTM 990 Adventure. Has it been worth the trouble? What trouble? I still get a stupid permagrin every time I ride! Good for my soul, good for my stress level, and I've ridden places a car/truck can't ever go. You roll through shady patches, and feel the air temp drop a little bit; past an orchard with the sprinklers on in July and get a refreshing drift of cool mist; past an onion field and smell sweet onions; into the mountains on a dirt road and set up camp in the fading light as your bike tinks and creaks, cooling off.
You get the idea. Take the MSF course, practice ATTGAT (All The Gear All The Time!) Take your first rides in less crowded areas, even if you have to trailer the bike there to do it. Don't let people talk you into a bike you can't handle- as a beginning rider, that's most of them. Start small and work up, and as you learn what a bike will (and won't) do your confidence and skill will increase. Have a good time, and welcome to our two-wheeled world!

1911fan

Ya dont know what ya dont know. Knowing what I know because Ive been riding for 25 years, I wouldnt want to start riding now
frown.gif
Now this COULD be local specific but in my area I have watched the average drivers skill level decline and the danger go up temendously! So much so that if its a high traffic day I dont go out. When I do go out I take a straight line for the backroads/farm areas and ride there. I have even considered giving up street riding altogether and just getting a track bike. Like switchy, my skill and experience have saved my bacon countless times. IF you do take it up, hopefully you have an experienced rider that can mentor you a bit. Learning the things like where to position yourself on the road in each type of scenario is invaluable.

I have been riding for years, it's never safe it's always fun, I've been hit twice and been lucky twice. I've lost quite a few friends over the years to accidents. If you invest in a class and good protective gear it can and will save your life. Honestly it's a wonderful hobby and more fun than any other mode of transportation but is it safe... Not like a car.. But it can be safer if done right.

Life is a calculated risk...you can go out and play on the edge once in awhile or stay home nice and safe in your lazy boy..

Ride like everyone out there is trying to kill you. Don't do stupid stuff. Wear proper safety gear...

I've been riding since I was in my teens, one accident, still riding.

For those of you that say you've been in an "accident", what does that really mean? Does falling over at a stop sign with bumps and bruises fall into that category as well? Does going 10mph in a parking lot and having a car back up into you count? Or is it sliding down the highway at 45mph after you tried to avoid a car or hit one and then accompanied by a hospital stay? Just trying to understand the scale.
Also, do you find the wrecks usually involve actually getting hit? or the result of trying to avoid them?
I know these are crazy questions, but just some of the things that run through my head when making a serious decision like this.

Worst crash I had was in 89 on I40 in Winston-Salem, NC. I was tooling along about 70mph and as I passed an entrance ramp, a car accelerated briskly, crossed 3 lanes to get in front of Me and locked em up. I grabbed a handfull of brakes, and the forks of My scoot dived to the stops. The frt wheel lost traction, and that was all she wrote. Spent the next 20 minutes walking around I40 with 2 really cool Cops picking up pieces of my scoot(Kawasaki Eliminator). After gathering up as much of the cosmetic stuff that came off My bike as I could find, The 2 Cops rooted in their tool kits, and helped Me bend My handlebars and shifter back into working condition. Remarkably, I figure I hit the pavement at about 40mph, and the only injury I has was a gouge where the zipper on my leathers got My wrist. It was minor. Could have been much worse. I was on a weekend pass from Bragg, and if I had been hurt to bad to get back, I would have been AWOL.

2 days later, My insurance co. sent Me a $1600.00 check for the damage, and I was able to fix the bike better than before, and buy a new helmet, as the old one was scuffed pretty good.

Well... lets just say Ive been in accidents bad enough to require titanium rods and scews to put my spine back together....

But that ONE was really my fault
smile.gif
I went off the bike at 130. A car turned left in front of me. It misjudged my distance due to my speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... lets just say Ive been in accidents bad enough to require titanium rods and scews to put my spine back together....

But that ONE was really my fault
smile.gif
I went off the bike at 130. A car turned left in front of me. It misjudged my distance due to my speed. </div></div> Glad U are still here Bro, and hopefully wiser for that indecent.

What is the reason that you want to ride?

If you are trying to "save money" due to gas costs, forget it. Between the cost of the bike, insurance, tires, maintenance, and riding equipment, a small car will be cheaper.
If you want to enjoy the open road and "being out there" on a bike, then go for it. What type of bike are you looking to get? Harley, crotch rocket, dual sport?

If you read up on accident statistics, you will find that alcohol was involved in 55%. You will find that single vehicle accidents also account for a high percentage of accidents. You shouldn't let your life be determined by fear. Get proper training, get proper gear, and stay focused on riding. For the most part, people aren't trying to kill motorcyclists, they just don't see you. Buy that black Harley, the black leather outfit and black half dome and then wonder why that car pulled out in front of you at night.
If you are looking at sport bikes, make sure that you attend a track day at a local track. You will learn more in one day at the track than in five years on the street.

I would go for it. I got my permit when I was 18, license when I was 19. I rode for 10years with out a accident.

I just sold my bike (Ducati 848) last summer because I was buying a house and needed to free up the funds. I have ridden crotch rockets and there is nothing like being able to go 101mph in first gear (my '05 R1) or finally getting scared and rolling off doing 178mph (track days) But I sold my liter bikes cause I didn't have the self control, got the Ducati hoping less HP would be less temptation didn't work out that way.

I miss the hell out of my bike and will buy another soon, but this time probably going cruiser. Been riding my dads 1800VTX and it is like sitting on a lay-z-boy.

If you trust others with your life you are cirtainly going to lose it. Trust your self, stay safe and keep your eyes moving. When I would commute daily in seattle traffic I would have to alter couse every time I road to avoid being hit. I taught my wife to ride in the same traffic.

It is safe as long as you don't trust the other guys.

I'd get one.I have been riding since 1972,licensed and on the road.I have owned 8 bikes,totaled 2,broke my neck once,back twice,many ribs in those 2 wrecks but i still ride,although i went from a rigid frame to a softail(layzboy).I drive offensively,i take control of whats going on around me,i look at cars and avenues of escape from each of them,i plan ahead and think all other drivers are f==k ups trying to kill me.

Take the motorcycle safety course,wear leather,good boots,i prefer not to wear a helmet,except on long trips,but i have that choice in this state.Don't worry about crashing so much as trapping your body between a gas pump and your bike,after you forget to put your kickstand down is much more common an occurence.
familyphotos363.jpg

Why do I want to ride? Pleasure mostly. Don't care much about gas or commuting. Just think it would be a great feeling and fun to take an evening or weekend ride to just "get away". If gas goes to $5+ that may change...
The bike I'm looking really hard at is a 2003 Honda VFR800. Sat on a few different cruisers and just didn't feel right leaning back. Don't feel like I have command of the bike in that position. The pure sport bikes are just not for me - don't fit me well and just too much for me. The sport touring feel good for me. I'm 6'3" and 238,.There aren't many bikes that feel right to me. The VFR is comfortable though.
It's a tough decision. I want the enjoyment of riding, but not interested in the titanium rods in my spine or broken neck/back/spine, etc.
eek.gif

I guess it all comes down to how much risk I want to take on. I started this thread mainly to see if all negative press was really justifed or if it was more of a scare tactic. I know it's dangerous, but it would be interesting to see what number of accidents occur to the guys who are responsible riders - good gear, no drinking, no crazy speeds/horseplay, safety course, etc.

When I got my bike I had no idea it came with a helicopter ride . . . to the trauma center. A full-faced Shoei helmet saved my life.

To recap:
1. Have good health insurance.
2. Have excellent disability insurance.
3. Be sure your life insurance is up to date and is sufficient to pay for funerals and college educations.

I'm a bit biased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do I want to ride? Pleasure mostly. Don't care much about gas or commuting. Just think it would be a great feeling and fun to take an evening or weekend ride to just "get away". If gas goes to $5+ that may change...
The bike I'm looking really hard at is a 2003 Honda VFR800. Sat on a few different cruisers and just didn't feel right leaning back. Don't feel like I have command of the bike in that position. The pure sport bikes are just not for me - don't fit me well and just too much for me. The sport touring feel good for me. I'm 6'3" and 238,.There aren't many bikes that feel right to me. The VFR is comfortable though.
It's a tough decision. I want the enjoyment of riding, but not interested in the titanium rods in my spine or broken neck/back/spine, etc.
eek.gif

I guess it all comes down to how much risk I want to take on. I started this thread mainly to see if all negative press was really justifed or if it was more of a scare tactic. I know it's dangerous, but it would be interesting to see what number of accidents occur to the guys who are responsible riders - good gear, no drinking, no crazy speeds/horseplay, safety course, etc. </div></div>
The VFR is a good bike and with a good pipe it kinda sounds like a Duck (Ducati, and that is like music). It has some good all around characteristics, good handling, torquey, it's a pretty bike to look at without all the back breaking ergos and fatigue on the wrist.
Some of us are not trying to talk you out of riding by any means, we are trying to prepare you / arm you with information so you will be prepared before that first ride down the busy street during lunch hour and having to wade thru the teens with cell phones and the agressive driver that's late for work.
The majority of my riding experience started on the dirt and I learned some very valuable riding techniques in a relatively safe environment (Other than the occasional nucklehead running wildly on a motorcross bike leaving his tire prints on your helmet). If you can get a dirt bike and spend some time off road first, then you will be heads and shoulders over someone starting green on the highway with his first two wheeler.
JMHO and I wish you well with the decision.
It kinda sounds like you have the bike bug and if you can afford it and your family is okay with it, then do it. Just make sure that you alot the money for the safety gear, don't skimp.
Don't get the bike and have $100 left over for a cheap used 20 year old helmet, $1.00 jersey gloves and use the penny loafers that have been gathering dust in your closet.
Wearing good gear when we lay the bike down (wreck) makes us emphatic about bragging about how well it works to people like you and for good reason.... Been there done that, lived to ride another day.
There ain't nothin like riding in the Blue Ridge mountains during the fall,
southern cali (In the hills) anytime(Try Julian during apple festival),
Italy in Sardinia during the summer,
Sierra Nevadas during the summer months,
Oahu Hawaii anytime of the year (but expect to do short trips/ it's little),
Ontario Canada during summer months, it's pretty (Watch out for the green small horse flies, geeeeze they bite)
The North east (New England states), drop dead georgous during summer months and stopping for fresh fish at a local restaurant is fantastic.
Traffic jam (In a major city / I forget where)on a brand new freshly asphalted highway during a 104 degree day and the engine was like riding a wood stove.......I wish I could forget
.....SmokeRolls

craigp40,

When I mentioned friends crippled in accidents, I mean crushed knees and pelvic bones, right leg 1 inch shorter than the left leg or paralzed from the chest down in a wheel chair for life, have your mom or wife bath you injuries.

The determining factors for me would be, the AO,ie.rural=good or city= not so good, large illeagle population ? = more likly too hit and run because they don't want to be deported + poorley maintained cars, and most importantly, kids.

How about a track day bike, high or low siding on a track is still not as bad as contact with a vehicle going the opposite direction.

If you still want a street bike, the VFR is a great bike, a power commander and exhaust will tune out the flate spot caused by the V-TEC at a certain RPM. Also, checkout the Triumph Speed Triple 1050 model years 2005-07,and 2008-10,put on an Arrow titanium exhaust and you can blow flames out the side!
grin.gif
Since you are tall, I would also recommend checking out the BMW R1200GS, it can almost hang with sport bikes in the mountains. It is pricey but holds it's value well. 1911fan, also has a kickass bike in the KTM990 Adventurer!

Few things can offer the experience of a big motor between your legs with two wheels and brakes attached.

Good Luck!
cool.gif

Depends on what part of the country rual hell yes. Big City of a million maybe not got 5 kids to feed NO. retired like me and dont care hell ya just depends the roll of the dice and pavment hurts like hell. At lest it did for me 30 yars ago I still ride at 54 . But not in large citys small bmw or whatever you like they are fun and save loads on gas . If I had a good paying job and did a 160 mile round trip ride to work in Arizona thats where they are nice. Out west south west states warm states good luck Kim

I'm an insurance adjustor, I'm the guy doing scene investigation, taking statements from all parties and witnessess and reviewing police reports. I now have a wife and kid. After handling hundreds if nottousands of motorcycle claims the fact isis I don't ride anymore. Do I miss it yes, but you know what I miss smoking and getting drunk everyweekend too, but not as much as I would miss my son! Fact is simple and I see the actual stats to prove it, in nearly 75% off all accidents there is comparative neglagence I.e. both parties involved to some degree contributed to the accident. Remember drivers training keeping a minimum distance of 1 car length for every 10mph your going? When was the last time you saw everyone 7 or 8 car length away on the highway and that's if it perfectly dry. The fact is as it has been said beforeride long enough you will go down. Once your down its dumb luck if you get back up because nothing your wearing is going to help you when the person driving the suv hits you at 60mph cause you rolled in their lane while their chatting on their phone. Hell I dealt with a fatility last week with a guy riding in the country who got smoked by a deer at 60mphnot another car around for miles was hours before someone found hbim.
Its a thrill and its fun, but like most hobbiesif you can't afford all aspects and realities of it move on to something else. Ill go ride dirtbikes off jumps before getting out on the streets these days. Hell get a sport bike and track time and ride hard, but out there is rusian roulette at best

Before you spend the money on a bike, take a Basic Motorcycle course (BRC) to see if you can ride or want to. there are courses that will provide student bikes.

We have seen many quit the course and decide this is not for me.

BH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Polytrauma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you still want a street bike, the VFR is a great bike, a power commander and exhaust will tune out the flate spot caused by the V-TEC at a certain RPM. Also, checkout the Triumph Speed Triple 1050 model years 2005-07,and 2008-10,put on an Arrow titanium exhaust and you can blow flames out the side!
grin.gif
Since you are tall, I would also recommend checking out the BMW R1200GS, it can almost hang with sport bikes in the mountains. It is pricey but holds it's value well. </div></div>

No offense, but I don't think any of those are a good choice for a beginner. They would be like learning to fly in an F18. OP, seriously: Look at the half-liter area, especially the dual-sports as they tend to be a little more forgiving. Remember what I said about taking your first rides in low-traffic areas. And get good gear!

1911fan

"They would be like learning to fly in an F18." 1911fan. That analogy would have merit if I had suggested the OP purchase a Moto GP bike to learn on. Also, were talking street bikes, modern street bike tires are going to ride,handle and brake better than dual sport tires. The reason I bring up tires is because of the tiny contact patch that motorcycle tires provide, why not make that contact as large a possible? There is a fine line. www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=25
grin.gif

Craig, here ya go,"Pussy" there, now it's done, so on with the real business
grin.gif

Crashing sucks. From a simple rainy crosswalk that flips your ride in the air and breaks a case half(yup, 1984, Waikiki in the rain, 0330) to getting taken out at 45mph by a truck merging into you(a few weeks back), it all sucks ass. It's how one takes the lumps and recovers that is important. I been on bikes in dirt, gravel, asphalt since I was 8(that's about 39 years or so). I have dumped my bike in teh rain once, slid out in sand with Panty 6 on the back once(she was pissed and let the construction workers know to clean up their shit after she walked a half block to yell at them), had a truck drive me into the sidewalk curb dumping me and leaving(maliscious intent, he was found by 'the many bikers' who I rode with, and summarily beaten and truck destroyed), to a slide in gravel on a twistie mountain road(corner was filled with scree, dropped it, slid, got up and away I went, no real dmage but to my pride because my firends were right behind me) to teh accident a few weeks back it all sucked.
It was my attitude about why I ride that always got me back on the bike. I ride because I loce riding. I smile, laugh, and have fun when I ride. No mirror practiced 'Outlaw Grimace' here!
I ride because I can, and well, because I don't own a car, so I guess that makes me a bit hard core since I ride rain, sun, snow or crappy weather. I don't polish chrome, but I wash the thing maybe once a month or so or if the sun comes out after a storm to get the grime off. I lube the chain, check the oil, do the required PMCS, and I ride that sucker because it is pure freakin FUN!
Get the bike, learn to ride it, and have some fun! You never know, you just might meet some rightious motherfuckers along the way and actually have some real fun! Besides, chicks dig dudes that ride, it makes their little hoo hoo's all moist.

ps
The easist bike to learn to ride is a Super Moto styled bike. They are the most forgiving, and the easiest to master the basics of motorcycle handling on. From shifting to countersteering, a super moto is a good way to go, maybe 250cc's to 400cc's, but no more than 500cc's for a beginner. Anyone who has experience riding can get on a bike and pretty much go, so I would recommend whatever you want, but make sure you are smart with the go handle and not into stupidity. It is those two things that cause the most trouble on one who is relearning or learning to ride.

Ive had motorcycles since I was 11. I've owned dirt bikes, cruisers, and crotch rockets. The dirt bike is the only one that put me in the hospital. The crotch rocket is the one I miss the most. But, when I got married and had a couple boys added to my life, running way over 150 just isn't smart. I would be less tired riding 300 miles on a trip than I would spending 30 minutes in town riding. Watching for the other driver is the key, you have to drive for them too. 2 wheels are better than 4 any day, except the day you get hit. I say buy one, enjoy it, but know it could hurt you. It's a lot like being married. lol

Started riding streetbikes (2005 GSX-R 600) when I was 18 up for 4 years (I'm now 24). I learned to ride in Las Vegas, which made you a very aware of other drivers as there are soooo many gawking tourists, taxi drivers, etc. I've been cutoff multiple times, had cars merge into me, etc.

Once I started doing trackdays, street riding got extremely boring to me. It definitely wasn't the same. I sold my bike when I got orders to Minot AFB because I knew that it's all straight roads in ND. I will admit, I do miss it a lot, but I don't selling it. If I was around a roadcourse, I'd get a bike for track use only....

My 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: craigp40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For you bikers out there, do you think these days are good for getting a motorcycle? I mean from a safety standpoint. I've been thinking really hard lately about getting my first street bike but I'm having a hard time getting past the dangers from other vehicles. You hear so many stories about how it doesn't matter how good you are, you will go down due to someone elses actions. Is it really as dangerous as it seems everyone makes it out to be?
I'm going on 39, so I believe I have the discipline to not get crazy, but I'm having a hard time trusting every knucklehead on the road with my life. </div></div>

Craig,

As others have stated, take the BRC(Basic Motorcycle Course) from an MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) school. Oftentimes at a local tech-college and the "Riders Edge" courses at a Harley dealership.

I have been riding for 20+ years, been teaching the MSF courses for 10 years and I investigate the crashes for my PD where, as I describe, "people are dead, will be dead or should've been dead." I still ride, and LOVE IT!

Does riding have risks? You bet! How do you manage the risks? That'll be up to you! I trust NOBODY, and treat it like combat riding! Don't listen to the bullshit of other people that don't wear protective gear when they say "I gotta die of something" type of statements. WEAR THE PROTECTIVE GEAR!!!! Approximately 35% of impacts to the head/helmet are in the chin/jaw area. What's my point? Buy a FULL FACIAL helmet!! If you enjoy eating, talking and kissing your kids good night, a full facial helmet is the best piece of equipment you can do for yourself! Racers don't just wear the gear because they're sponsored, it happens to protect their brain!! I mean, hell, even car racers wear helmets and their in a cage!!! Get my point!?

As for what bike? Get what <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span></span> are comfortable on! Don't get a bike because it is what your buddy is riding, or because it's a cool paint job or because a famous person has one like it! There are a LOT of good bikes out there. I have my flavor preferences to be sure, but that is because it's my riding style and lifestyle. Sit on it, absorb how it feels, sit on a bunch more! At least have the balls of BOTH feet touch the ground if possible. In the event of a slippery road surface, it'll give you better control!

If you're leaning towards sportbikes, I would strongly urge you to NOT purchase the 1000cc or larger bikes. The HP to weight ratio of these bikes is INSANE!! 150 or more HP and a 435-450# package! I have a car that weighs 3000#'s and has 175 HP. Get my point?

Without knowing what you want to do with the bike, I would offer you look at the dual-sport bikes. They can go anywhere, strap on bags/packs, light weight, wide handlebars for manuevering and leverage for "steering", pretty good on gas. If you're just going to commute, the 400's would be good, if you want to tour around the state, then the 650 choices. If you want to tour the country, the 650's can work, but KTM/BMW/Triumph make some choices in the 1000cc + arena.

I call motorbike riding the affordable alternative to flying. If I could own a bi-plane or a Beechcraft T-34 and afford to fly a couple times a week, I'd give up my 2-wheels. But alas, I am riding, but I'm enjoying it.. . . quite a bit still.

Let us know what you do!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything fun in life involves some danger. I like Women, and they are a hell of a lot more dangerous than motorcycles. Get one, and have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff. </div></div>

I used to work at a motorbike shop and our saying was "If it's got tits or tires . . . it'll give you trouble!"
wink.gif

Alas, I still chase after both!

-G45

If not for the jugheads in cars, I would have another street bike right now. I love to shoot, but motorcycle riding(don't care what make it is) is the mistress I will always miss.... sigh.