• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Getting a class 4 license

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Ok, I already have an llc which owns my suppresor. If I wanted to get a class 4 license so that I could own shorty barrels or full auto weapons what would be involved and any idea on the cost? I wonder how much the tax stamp is for that?

I would hope already having been qualified to own a can would help speed up the process but I'm pretty sure this can't be chreap or take just 2 months to obtain.

Any thoughts on the process for someone like me?

Re: Getting a class 4 license

Find one that is transferable, and do the same thing that you did with your suppressor.

Class 4? this must be something new the ATF released at SHOT show

MG's are no different than suppressors, except for you to buy them they had to be made before 1986

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Class 4? this must be something new the ATF released at SHOT show

MG's are no different than suppressors, except for you to buy them they had to be made before 1986 </div></div>

so i couldnt own a full auto fn scar 17....bs!!!

i dont like that ruleing
frown.gif

Perhaps he's referring to dealer sample MGs that
Are transferred on form 3s. These guns are much less,
Usually made after cutoff date, and ONLY bought and
Sold between dealers holding that specific liscense.

Or an SOT? I think that's 500 a year

Sot is 1000 annually and not a class 4, it would be a class 3 SOT and you would also need an FFL. But its not something you take lightly or get so you can just buy more toys. Being that you admitted that here, you might have even mentioned that on the ATF forms and they deny you. And then flag your name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sot is 1000 annually and not a class 4, it would be a class 3 SOT and you would also need an FFL. But its not something you take lightly or get so you can just buy more toys. Being that you admitted that here, you might have even mentioned that on the ATF forms and they deny you. And then flag your name. </div></div>

Actually, the SOT is $500 per year if you do less than $500K worth of business a year. And you would have to determine what class of SOT you get depending on your FFL status. Importer (08 FFL) would be a class 1 SOT, Manufacturer (07 or 10 FFL)would be class 2 and Dealer (01 FFL) would be class 3.

I am a 07 with a class 2 SOT and this is not something to be entered into lightly or without a significant amount of research to understand the laws and regulations. The process is that you first get your FFL and then apply for the SOT.

Until you know how to apply and what the rules are, forget being any kind of FFL/SOT.

Cut and pasted, but found by random google.....

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms 

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

Well, after reading all of the great info you huys have on the subject all I want is the ability to own

1. A suppressed pistol keeping in mind the fact that I already have an LLC that in the State of Texas "owns" my can. This was done to speed up the process and avoid a CLIA sign off.....still have to wait a few months and get a bunch of signatures and pay $200 to get it not including the cost of the can.

2. Id like to be able to own a PDW type weapon...in Texas and Im pretty sure in all states thats any weapon with a barrel shorter than 16in.

Juust like to know what the easieat way to do this is. Im not looking to cut corners or anything like that - it has to be 100% legit.

Thanks guys.

Become a FFL dealer. Then apply for a SOT, $500.00 per year. You CAN NOT do this for personal collection, you have to be a business and try and make a profit. ATF will keep a check on you.

Private Individuals:
You can own a sbr if legal in your state, you pay $200.00 tax
You can own a MG if it was registered before 1986 ban, you pay $200.00 tax
You can own suppressors, you pay $200.00 tax

If legal in Texas just go buy a registered M-16 lower (Full Auto). Then you can put any length upper you want. Your registered MG tax stamp trumps any SBR stamp. Only problem, a registered M-16 lower will run around 12-15k.

Thanks for all the info..only thing I would like is to be able to own a rifle with barrel of less than 16in.

I'll talk to the same shop who helped me set up my LLC and get my first can regsitered to see how much this is gonna cost me and if its even worth it.

Thanks guys.

It shouldn't cost you anything to "set that up." If you already have an LLC that owns NFA weapons, all you need to do is buy the new NFA weapon and register it to the LLC when you fill out the Form 4. You'll pay the standard $200 tax associated with all NFA weapons, but there should be no changes required to your LLC.

Buy you a good receiver, I bought a billet POF. Fill out form 1 and supporting paperwork as you did with the suppressor on a form 4. (I don't have a trust) Send it in with your $200. When it comes back buy your sbr upper that you want.

If you do buy the upper before your paperwork comes back DO NOT KEEP IT at the same address as your lower. The ATF frowns big time on this, as in illegal as hell. Just keep the upper at a friend or family members home.

You will need to have the Manufacturers name, city and state engraved on the receiver. Just google it you can find a ton of info on this.

Some people have the lower engraved before sending paperwork to the ATF, just to make sure the engraver doesn't mess it up. That's up to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info..only thing I would like is to be able to own a rifle with barrel of less than 16in.

I'll talk to the same shop who helped me set up my LLC and get my first can regsitered to see how much this is gonna cost me and if its even worth it.

Thanks guys. </div></div>

Steelshot, the process of buying a short barrel rifle or a machineguns is no different than what you did to buy the silencer. The LLC will own the item. You can either buy a built SBR and file a Form 4 with your LLC, or File a Form 1 with your LLC and build your own SBR.

Only thing it will cost you is thepurchase price of the item and the $200 tax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TypeR632</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy you a good receiver, I bought a billet POF. Fill out form 1 and supporting paperwork as you did with the suppressor on a form 4. (I don't have a trust) Send it in with your $200. When it comes back buy your sbr upper that you want.

If you do buy the upper before your paperwork comes back DO NOT KEEP IT at the same address as your lower. The ATF frowns big time on this, as in illegal as hell. Just keep the upper at a friend or family members home.

<span style="color: #FF0000">You will need to have the Manufacturers name, city and state engraved on the receiver. Just google it you can find a ton of info on this. </span>

Some people have the lower engraved before sending paperwork to the ATF, just to make sure the engraver doesn't mess it up. That's up to you. </div></div>

The manufacturers info should already be on the left side of the magwell. Otherwise they should not have sent it to you. You are to engrave the right side with your Trust, LLC, your name, AND city and state in which the item is registered in.

I looked at this at one point.

Yes, become an FFL first. I was going to try and cut a deal with a local gun shop and offer to put in some processing fees to cover the requirements to have a real shop address with records and/or inventory.

Then build the business around moving inventory on gunbroker.com. You can make back all of the expenses in a year ($500 annual fee,for example) easily, and it's legit business.

In order to get your ub3r PDW, you need a "Post Sample.". A LEO has to sign off on it is one major problem for me.

And so even if you get the basic business ops going and can manage to get a LEO to sign off on your post sample, you then have to get the dealer to sell you one.

Seems like it would help the whole process if the object of your lust were to be something marketable to local LE. May smooth the process of the letter and the manufacturer's interest.

The thing with me is I don't want full auto that badly! I've fired auto weapons before, but always on single fire. I'm not the biggest fan of wasting ammo, so the idea of it wore off before I went anywhere with it.