• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Getting a new LRF

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Guys, trying to get some discussion going on the current "best" LRF's in the <$1K price range.

I have owned a couple of Leica LRF1200's in the past. They were quality pieces of gear, but they would not reliably range deer for me at ranges beyond 500 yards. They just simply wouldnt.

I have used the Swaro, and believe it will range further than the LRF1200 easily, but it costs much more and I wasnt crazy about the reticle, but I could certainly live with it. I am getting ready to buy one or the other and would like to hear rational input from the few who have had a decent amount of hands on with the Leica 1600 as well as the Swaro. I have waited too long and am without an LRF and hunting season is coming quick.

My needs are this-
I want to be able to range deer sized targets out to 7-800 yards, reliably, in most any conditions.
I want to be able to range my 45% IPSC and similar targets out to 1500+ yards, reliably in most any conditions.

I also value compactness, and the Swaro is a bit bigger, of the two. From what I gather.

Also, from what I understand, the ballistics program in the LRF 1600 is not something I would find especially useful. I mean, I will know my data, so once I determine range, I can dial correction and shoot, so I dont think this is a benefit to me, and if it clutters up the display, could be a drawback.

What do you guys think would best suit my needs? Assuming you could get either for the the same price, which would you buy?

Re: Getting a new LRF

I bought the Leica 1600, never expecting to use the ballistics program. The angle, temp, and pressure, plus the ability to range that distance with GREAT class in a small package, was well worth the investment!!! Not sure why they bothered with a ballistics program, esspecialy out to only 500 yards? I'd rather they left that out and drop the price 1-200 dollars.

I'd also look at Zeiss. I really like mine. I think they are the best bang for the buck when it comes to LRF.

My Leica 1200 is one of he best things I've spent money on in the last couple years. Absolutely worth its weight in gold.

I use a Zeiss. It is well in the price range and a solid piece of gear. Bought it before the Leica 1200 came out. You might want to consider the deals out there on a Leica 900.

what happened to your geovids? those would be my go to as they cover both things i will need binos/lrf for deer hunting.

If you also use binos for hunting, combining them with an LRF is definitely a plus. I've used Geovids for prairie dogs and you can more easily move from target acquisition to target ranging, and save a little room in your kit bag. I recommend 7x or 8x power for hunting.

I am wanting a dedicated unit. Lighter the better.

I have had the zeiss and a couple leica 1200's, wanting something that will reach further, unless someone can confirm the new leicas outreach the swaro, I an just going green.

I have one of the first units that Cameraland got in, the Germans were in such a hurry to get a few out that they shipped it without any owners manual. I figured out most of the functions on my own, and since then Doug emailed me a manual. The ballistics program will be useless to a lot of hunters, but it does not cluttter the display. It is not visible unless you want it up. The 1600 display is much like the LRF 1200 with a lit red reticle. Mine has been very reliable, and I've ranged past 1500 yards with it on larger targets. It is also very small and light. Imho a better unit than the 1200, but more $. No experience with the Swaro, most owners of those seem to like them as well. FWIW

Hydro

With all the reviews and info you received from your last thread as well as what you see here you might as well get the Swaro’s, the L-1600s are awesome for the dollar spent, a clean screen without clutter and ranging abilities that should exceed for what you want to achieve as stated before.

So with that stated get the Swaro’s I can tell that’s what you really want anyways, otherwise you will always regret not doing so.

You better hurry your hunting season is coming soon

Both units are great for the money spent, I came to the conclusion that the Leica’s were capable of a tighter laser signal in which would help with pinpointing targets at a extended distance helping to eliminate “not all” but some of the false ranging signals

I’m very happy with my Leica 1600
I have not tried to see if and what I can range at a maximum distance, but here’s are a few examples ranged

Tree lines in the excess of 1000 yards
Angus beef grazing at 1004
Gray colored house at 1780
Whitetail deer feeding in an alfalfa field at 653 to 748

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to be able to range my 45% IPSC and similar targets out to 1500+ yards, reliably in most any conditions.</div></div>
Is this really possible? 13.5"x8" @ 1500y is what about .25 mils high?

I doubt I could find a target that small with the standard 8x or 10x range finder. I know my LRF1200 would not range a target this small past maybe 500y. If you find a range finder that will reliably range a 45% IPSC at 1500y for less than $1K please let us know.

gm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InTheHills</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to be able to range my 45% IPSC and similar targets out to 1500+ yards, reliably in most any conditions.</div></div>
Is this really possible? 13.5"x8" @ 1500y is what about .25 mils high?

I doubt I could find a target that small with the standard 8x or 10x range finder. I know my LRF1200 would not range a target this small past maybe 500y. If you find a range finder that will reliably range a 45% IPSC at 1500y for less than $1K please let us know.

gm </div></div>

It may not be. But, I am hoping if people claim to get similar readings, then I should be able to hit it at close to 1K. I never seem to get as good a result as some others, so I have to aim for a bit of overkill.

The most problems I have had with past LRF's is hitting deer. I just can never seem to get good readings past 4-500 yards on deer with any consistency.

From past reading it always seems that the Swaro gets the best reviews, but I am hoping that as the Leica 1600 gets in more and more hands that maybe it can surpass the Swaro. One way or another I am ordering something this coming week, as rifle opener is Nov 12 and I need something in hand.

One of the spots I hunt in northern MO is so wide open, that one could easily shoot much further than I personally would feel comfortable shooting. So, I definitely want the best rangefinding ability I can get, short of buying something from Vectronix.

I may just buy the Swaro, given its past performance, but would sure hate to buy one this week, only to see the Leica 1600 surpass it over the next few months. I have zero brand loyalty, just want the best bang for the buck.

Well, I rolled the dice and ordered a 1600 from Doug(not that ordering anything from either Doug or Scott could be considered rolling the dice, given their CS). Read as many reviews as I could find online and most of the good reviews were guys who were coming from the Leica 1200. They were saying the 1600 easily outpaced the 12, and were having pretty much zero issues getting quick, consistent readings on anything out to 800 yds.

Bigger/easier/more reflective targets out to the claimed 1600 dont seem difficult.

I will offer up a thorough review once it is in hand. Hopefully I wont regret not going with the known quantity (swaro).

Not really that big a deal, but the temp, pressure and angle features may be cool to mess around with, so long as they dont clutter the view. Also, I read in one review that the temp reads in C instead of F, that would suck and I hope my unit is in F. We will see.