• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting in to long range

matt416

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2021
San Diego
Looking to get into long range shooting, primarily punching paper or steel. Trying to stay under 2k for the rifle only, and think I’ve made up my mind on 6.5 creed. The Sig Cross has a lot of what I’m looking for, but obviously the recall is kind of a boner killer. Found one in stock for $1599. Also have been looking at the Tikka t3x tac a1 and bergara b-14 bmp. Any advice or recommendations appreciated.

There’s an awful lot of Tikka love on the hide. Overwhelming word is the T3x tax a1 is a hammer.

...and Lowlight’s a fan

Buy used and get way more rifle for your dollar.
If you get an RPR/etc you'll be wanting to upgrade in 6 months.

Reactions: Gulep001
RPR, Savage, etc. rifles at that price point will very likely shoot just fine but fit&finish... well, you get what you pay for. But if you stay in the discipline, you'll want to upgrade before long. If you don't stay in, you'll want to sell to get out. Either way, resale on those rifles isn't the best.

For one-stop shopping for a beginner, the Tikka T3X TAC A1 is hard to beat for chassis rifles. The other T3X models can be put in the aftermarket stock of your choice; it's beyond me why Tikka puts such excellent barreled actions in such crappy rubber stocks.

I started with a TAC A1 over three years ago... had an opportunity to pick up a custom at an excellent price and did so, and sold the Tikka in one day.

hard to beat the tikka

dont discount a CTR and switching out the stock/chassis though

also...at $2k budget you could build a custom

Reactions: Changed