• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting into reloading

mikest

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2020
East Coast Timezone
Hello,

Looking for guidance on equipment/setup recommendations to get into reloading. Have not reloaded in many years and when i did back in the days it was for shotgun. Have an AI AT in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308.

Looking to get started on the right foot and hoping to get some guidance from experienced members on equipment and sourcing recommendations...

Kind regards, thanks in advance,
Mike

Read lots.

Decide what calibers you want to load for.

Decide production expectations/how much time you can dedicate to reloading.

Decide single stage, progressive, both.

Take your time to decide what YOU require.

Everyone will tell you what THEY require.

Determine budget than re-evaluate everything above.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Appreciate the insight!

Budget wise, believe I would rather start off with a setup that will hold me for while. Am relatively new into precision shooting and invested in an AI (Liking the 6.5 CM but also have a 308 Barrel). Have good results with the Hornady 140 ELD Match so would be looking to replicate the results....

Reading a lot to soak in the guidance on single stage versus progressive....

I would highly recommend staring with a single stage press or a turret press. You will always keep these for loading for precision or in small batches. A progressive press has too many moving parts for someone new to reloading and will lead to mistakes and frustration which leads to someone getting a great deal on your stuff as to decide to sell everything and just buy factory. My progressive is mainly used for pistol reloading and some .223 plinking loads. All my real work is on a single stage. Very relaxing and rewarding!

Reactions: straightshooter1
Agreed on everything written here so far. In addition I'd recommend a Chargemaster 1500 or Lite (I use both at the same time) and a Giraud Case Trimmer. I can't imagine my reloading bench without those 3 items.

Reactions: Gustav7
Appreciate the insight!

Budget wise, believe I would rather start off with a setup that will hold me for while. Am relatively new into precision shooting and invested in an AI (Liking the 6.5 CM but also have a 308 Barrel). Have good results with the Hornady 140 ELD Match so would be looking to replicate the results....

Reading a lot to soak in the guidance on single stage versus progressive....

Personally I think the biggest deciding factors when it comes to progressive vs. non-progressive is:
1.) How many calibers are you going to consistently load for? (now or in the future)
2.) Do you mind a slightly more complicated process? Emphasis on slightly, and in return you get speed.
3.) How much time do you have to reload? (progressives save time)

IMO... I think the whole "progressives are too complex for new reloaders" is a vague statement, and often only partially true. A Dillon 550 IS NOT complex and not that hard to learn, can be ran as a single stage, manually indexes so the user controls the speed, etc. A Dillon 1050 is very complex and I wouldn't recommend it to a new reloader.

A Dillon 550 can, and does make precision ammo. A quality single stage or turret press is also a great option.

The huge benefit that comes with something like a 550 or any other quality progressive press is time savings once you get your process down, you can load multiple calibers by just switching the toolheads (as long as primer is same size). IF you ever plan on loading pistol calibers, I would also recommend a progressive. If you don't have a lot of extra time(due to family or whatever), and reloading is only feeding your shooting habit, I would also recommend a progressive due to the time savings.

In the end man, you really can't go wrong. If any of the 3 points or more above is true, then i would highly recommend a 550 or something similar. If not, then it doesn't really matter, can't go wrong with either, although I'd be partial to a Forster CO-AX.

Reactions: 6.5SH
So based on the fact you got an AI to get into long range shooting, I'm going to assume you'd rather spend a bit more at the start so you don't have to replace it later. That being the case, I'll give some recommendations for certain items, but feel free to shop around a bit and find what you fancy. There's already been some great advise in this thread and I'll try not to repeat it, but I may re-emphasize some parts. A disclaimer: I've only been reloading for a few years and so have much less experience than most people here. I'm writing this out as I somewhat recently went through the buying process for most of this and wanted to pass on my own thoughts.

Calipers: absolutely required. Mitutoyo's are considered some of the best, but any good digital or dial calipers will work well.
Comparators: very good to have. You'll need to be able to measure shoulder bump and case base to ogive to get the best results. Hornady sells a kit that's good and Sinclair sells a comparator body and inserts that are similar but slightly better materials (steel vs aluminum). You'll need a 30 degree shoulder and 6.5/.264 bullet comparator for 6.5cm and a 20 degree shoulder / .30 bullet comparator for .308.
Case Gauge: good to have if you don't want to use comparators or want to load ammo that will fit in any chamber.

Press: any good press will get it done. I personally would recommend a Dillon 550, Forster Co-Ax, or Redding T-7 for a quality progressive, single stage, or turret press for all the reasons stated above. The 550 will be a bit more expensive to get the press and toolheads set up and going, but with the advantage of the speed of a progressive once you're set up and running. The Co-Ax is great, self-aligning and can quickly swap dies in but is impossible to find in-stock (you'll have to set some stock alerts w/ a few websites and wait for one to come in, not great if you want to get started reloading this week but definitely worth it if you're willing to wait). The T-7 is a great turret press that's frequently in-stock and you won't have to take dies in and out to swap operations/calibers but some (a few, not many) have seen a bit of flex in the head that induces a small amount of run-out. Do some research and get what looks good to you.

Dies: pick your favorite. Redding and Forster dies are very popular in the precision crowd, but Hornady, RCBS, Lee, and others have made plenty of people happy. Full-Length resizing seems to be the standard now with fewer people neck sizing only anymore. Bushing dies are nice since you can set how much you size the neck to not over-work the brass, or Forster can hone out one of their dies to your specified neck diameter. Micrometer seater dies are a bit more expensive but make setting seating depth so much easier.
-Mandrel die: a lot of guys are moving to mandrel dies to expand the neck after resizing rather than using the included expander ball to reduce run-out. There are several great threads on this forum that discuss the benefits of mandrels, check them out if you're interested. Several companies make mandrels and mandrel dies, they're normally about $30-40 for the die and $10 for steel mandrels, $25-30 for coated, and $50 for carbide mandrels.

Lube: you have to lube bottle neck cartridges for resizing. 95% Isopropyl alcohol and liquid lanolin is a great, cheap way to make your own. Imperial sizing wax works very well, as does hornady one shot. Everyone has their favorite.

Case Prep: you'll need to be able to trim, chamfer, and deburr your cases. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, but if you do it in-bulk for long enough you'll eventually get a Giraud or Henderson powdered case trimmer. Until then, a Giraud tri-way trimmer, Trim-It 2, or Worlds Finest Trimmer (this one will need a separate chamfer and deburring tool, which plenty of companies make) will get the job done quickly and easily. You could also get a hand case trimmer, but you're not going to save much and it will take alot more time to get through.
-Primer uniforming, flash hole deburring, neck turning: all things you can do to improve consistency of your cases, though some (primer uniforming specifically) have mixed thoughts if it actually improves accuracy or is just a waste of time. Not going to go into them here as I don't have much personal experience and you can still get accurate loads without them.
-Annealing: if you reload the same cases multiple times, it's beneficial to anneal the case neck to relieve the brass of work hardening. There are several ways to do this, but I don't have much experience with them so will leave this for other, more seasoned individuals to explain. I would recommend checking other threads here to get more info.

Priming: if you go Dillon or Co-Ax, you'll have priming on your press. Otherwise most companies make a hand primer tool (RCBS, Lee, etc. I have a Sinclair hand priming tool i really like), and several make bench mounted tools (RCBS, Primal Rights Comp Primer Seater at the very high end) to really speed things up.

Powder drop and Scale: you'll need something to drop and weigh your powder charge. The RCBS chargemaster 1500 or Lite is a great option that drops and weighs the powder charge for you, Lyman makes a good alternative as well with their digital powder measure or Frankfort arsenal's Intellidropper. The (big) step up from these would be the AutoTrickler with fx-120i digital balance, which is more accurate and faster, but much more expensive. If you go with the Dillon or similar press and want to use the supplied powder dropper or want to use a separate dropper and hand trickler, any good quality digital or beam scale will work well for you.

Funnel: have to get powder into a case somehow. I would strongly recommend a caliber specific aluminum funnel over a one-size-fits-all plastic funnel. Satern makes quality, less expensive caliber specific funnels though they can experience cling with very small flake powders and are a bit top heavy. Area419 makes a great milled aluminum kit with interchangeable caliber heads, and Xtreme Hardcore Gear makes nice caliber specific funnels.

Case Cleaning: walnut, corn cob, stainless steel media, medium grain rice, they all work and have their pro's and con's. Wet tumbling in steel media will be faster and get cases extremely clean, but the media can get stuck in cases which is slow to get out and there's some that say the case necks get too clean, removing carbon that would act as lube. Walnut and corn cob are slower, won't get cases as clean (maybe), create dust and has to be replaced every so often, but is easier to remove from cases and seems, from my experience, to do just fine. There are even some guys here that say unless it hit the dirt or mud, don't bother cleaning it at all.

I think I covered everything, but if I think of anything else I'll add it and hopefully other, more experienced individuals will chime in. Again, take everything I say here and do some research of your own to find what works best for you.

Learn & understand the proper way to set up your resizing dies to you rifle's chamber and not over work the brass. Lots of you tube tutorials on this. Here's a good one from John Whidden :

I'm a believer in using some kind of comparator since it give me a number to look at, rather than doing this the old way of using your rifle's chamber. Some people like doing it the old way, which is fine, but I like to see numbers. Lots of different comparators out there. John is using his version. @ $16.00, it's a pretty good deal all ready to go. For you, the .400" works for both of your cartridges. You can get it from Whidden:

If I was to do it all over again, I'd buy the Whidden version

I'm surprised no one has suggested looking at the "sticky" threads in this forum. I haven't looked at them (because I had a few decades' reloading experience when I came to SH), but the thread titles look appropriate for the beginner.

If the OP has the budget and will ever load pistol ammo, then I say a Dillon RL-550 is the way to go. Run it like a single-stage, run it like a progressive, run it hybrid. OP, there is a lot of good info on the Dillon Precision website. Just be aware that their dies, while excellent, are oriented more toward the high-volume crowd. There are better choices for precision rifle. And I say that as the happy owner of a number of Dillon rifle and pistol die sets.

You are on the brink of an abyss of infinite depth. Come on in. How deep you go is up to you.

Reactions: Gustav7
I'm surprised no one has suggested looking at the "sticky" threads in this forum. I haven't looked at them (because I had a few decades' reloading experience when I came to SH), but the thread titles look appropriate for the beginner.

I would have suggested the sticky threads, but I looked at them and a lot of the photos are not available anymore and are blank.

Reactions: DownhillFromHere
I feel the two most important factors are setting neck tention consistent and a consistent powder charge.
Neck tention : either mandrel after sizing or turn necks and bushing dies
Powder charge : many options but for generic electronic scales I would say a Chargemaster. There's higher grade options but a great high grade entry level is the Chargemaster

Just give me your credit card and I’ll spend it right the first time. I would just put money into a higher end electric scale because of the consistency for your charge weights. Plus resale value. Also the time it’s a saver.

Welcome to the rabbit hole! Only thing to add to all these great posts is that after owning a bunch of presses, I wish I had acquired a Redding T-7 turret press years ago.