• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting paid to shoot?

BLAKSUNZ

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Oxford, MS
What kind of jobs would pay you to shoot or be proficient with a firearm? Obviously there is LE and MIL but there must be some more out of the box thinking. Just trying to get some ideas about what I want to do. Still can find an engineering job...maybe it's a sign to do what I love for a living.

Re: Getting paid to shoot?

I would say you need to be a competitor in competitions such as rifle, pistol, shotgun, or 3 Gun. AND BE EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD to be noticed by the firearms industry or other sponsors.

Now I have no experience with that. I was Artillery in the Army. I was paid to manually compute gunnery solutions very fast and accurate. We also used computers which are retarded. Give me a jump board and range deflection protractor and I was faster an more accurate than a computer. We also trained quite a bit in MOUNT, Battle drill 6, and marksmen training. We were paid for that, not much but paid.

As for getting paid to shoot... Follow your dreams, But realize sometimes there just dreams. So be realistic. If you are already a superb shot and a competitor and place within the top tier in any national comps I would say just keep trying. But for average joe blow that just wants to shoot and get paid? Get real.. Join the service or LE

I don't mean to be disrespectful but there are probably very few jobs that pay you to shoot. Its more of who you know type of thing. Have you google'd it? I did and there is a lot of nonsense that comes up. The legitimate stuff, you need experience and training, ie LE, and Military.

I know there are paid shooters on this site. A good portion of them are Military and Police. The rest are Competitors that are great shots and that's why they get paid. I'm sure there are a few that can chime in on what it took for them to be where their at. But I bet it was not easy and they had to work very hard for it. You have to work very hard for some things in life. Read my Sig line. "if you think you can, you can. But if you think you cant. your right" Not always true.. But a good way to think about things.

I wish you the best of luck with your dream of shooting for money. I think everyone on this site would love to get paid to shoot...

I would hardly call LE being paid to shoot...

Back in the mid 70s I shot a lot of trap and skeet. Skeet I could hold my own, I could normally get my entry fees back. Trap was a different matter. The last trap shoot I did cost me $185 to enter and I won $3.95 (guess I wasn't very good).

I was in the guard anyway so I firgured I'd shoot for them (1977). They bought my bullets, paid my transportation, lodging & entry fees, and wages. Then started coaching and running the AK Marksmanship program where where I got a lot of active duty to run sniper and machine gun schools. Plus we provided training to the Navy Reserve, Regular Army, LE, even my own department where they ask the Guard (me) to provide rifle training for our new SWAT (CRT) team, Double dipped on that one, got paid from the department and Guard.

I could have made more money I guess but I was trying to hold down a full time job as a cop at the same time.

Don't discount the National Guard. After a while you'll end up with a military pension to supplement your other pension.

Not gonna get rich, but I had a lot of fun, and it paid for my shooting habits.

REAPER

Loc: Oxford, MS
What kind of jobs would pay you to shoot or be proficient with a firearm?

The Military is the #1 employer of that skill set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hitman. </div></div>

Yeah, but the dental plan sucks, and no matching contributions to a 401k.
frown.gif

In reality, if one wants to get rich in the shooting field, all you have to do is invent a "brass magnet".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would hardly call LE being paid to shoot... </div></div>

+1 on this

I was interested in firearms long before I ever became LE. At this time, I am:

On the React/SWAT team
Department armorer for Glock, AR15, 870, and many other platform
Pistol and long gun firearm instructor for my dept and SWAT
Department patrol tactics (SIMs scenarios) training officer

While receiving my certifications, I got paid to shoot ALOT. Since then, I actually shoot much less than the standard officer as I am running the line when we are at the range. I still HANDLE firearms a lot, but my time getting paid to shoot isn't what it once was. In fact from now until I need to re-up my certs, I'm paying for all of my firearms training out of pocket.

What's the saying? Something like if you ever want to drop a hobby, just take it up for a living/job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peloton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hitman. </div></div>

Yeah, but the dental plan sucks, and no matching contributions to a 401k.
frown.gif
</div></div>

true but it's the same as any 1099 position. you really need to figure the lack of benies when you are negotiating your rate.

So after reading the responses and talking with an LE friend of mine I'd like to re-state my question. What kind of part time jobs could I do that would allow me to practice shooting?

I just recently found out (again I could be mistaken...only human) that I could be a part time law enforcement officer. Is this really true? If so then is the training still the same as full time patrol officers?

*In case I come off as a "mall ninja" wanting to be all tacticool let me add that the question came about because I enjoy helping people that cannot help themselves and making a difference when others are too afraid or lack the skills to do so themselves. Becoming a part-time officer of the law or joining a reserves unit would be a great opportunity and honor for me to serve my country and the people who live in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camocorvette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say you need to be a competitor in competitions such as rifle, pistol, shotgun, or 3 Gun. AND BE EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD to be noticed by the firearms industry or other sponsors.

Now I have no experience with that. I was Artillery in the Army. I was paid to manually compute gunnery solutions very fast and accurate. We also used computers which are retarded. Give me a jump board and range deflection protractor and I was faster an more accurate than a computer. We also trained quite a bit in MOUNT, Battle drill 6, and marksmen training. We were paid for that, not much but paid.

As for getting paid to shoot... Follow your dreams, But realize sometimes there just dreams. So be realistic. If you are already a superb shot and a competitor and place within the top tier in any national comps I would say just keep trying. But for average joe blow that just wants to shoot and get paid? Get real.. Join the service or LE

I don't mean to be disrespectful but there are probably very few jobs that pay you to shoot. Its more of who you know type of thing. Have you google'd it? I did and there is a lot of nonsense that comes up. The legitimate stuff, you need experience and training, ie LE, and Military.

I know there are paid shooters on this site. A good portion of them are Military and Police. The rest are Competitors that are great shots and that's why they get paid. I'm sure there are a few that can chime in on what it took for them to be where their at. But I bet it was not easy and they had to work very hard for it. You have to work very hard for some things in life. Read my Sig line. "if you think you can, you can. But if you think you cant. your right" Not always true.. But a good way to think about things.

I wish you the best of luck with your dream of shooting for money. I think everyone on this site would love to get paid to shoot... </div></div>

First of all I want to say thank you. What you do protects this country and allows me to sleep soundly every night.

Second, I know you mean no disrespect...it was criticism and insight which for me is always welcomed. That's why I'm here..to learn. Anyway, I should have added I am not a naturally amazing shot or anything and realistically I know making huge sums of money shooting is harder than getting on a practice squad in the NFL (which is sad when you think about the pay top shooters like Tod Jarrett of Rob Leatham get for their years of countless rounds put down range to get to where they are now).

I guess I was hoping to find out about a job I had never heard of before besides full-time LE/MIL. I wouldn't mind part time but like I said in my previous post I'm hoping someone would clarify with me on whether or not that is possible or not. I wouldn't mind part time military or law enforcement but I'd prefer LE so I could be an asset to my community/home town.

Most that take up shooting for pay burn out real quick,when its a job not near as much fun as when its a hobby

I would think getting paid to shoot would turn your hobby into actual work. Not sure about everyone else, but I shoot for fun, NOT for work. Reminds me of back when I was a teen and into skating. I was offered to get paid for allowing companies to sponsor me, but I declined due to not wanting to be a sell-out. But that's just me.

Over at one of my local gun shops, they occasionally hire people to reload for range reloads they sell there. Course that's not shooting, just reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think getting paid to shoot would turn your hobby into actual work. Not sure about everyone else, but I shoot for fun, NOT for work. Reminds me of back when I was a teen and into skating. I was offered to get paid for allowing companies to sponsor me, but I declined due to not wanting to be a sell-out. But that's just me.

Over at one of my local gun shops, they occasionally hire people to reload for range reloads they sell there. Course that's not shooting, just reloading. </div></div>

There is so much <span style="font-style: italic">irony</span> in this post, it must be aired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLAKSUNZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

*In case I come off as a "mall ninja" wanting to be all tacticool let me add that the question came about because I enjoy helping people that cannot help themselves and making a difference when others are too afraid or lack the skills to do so themselves. Becoming a part-time officer of the law or joining a reserves unit would be a great opportunity and honor for me to serve my country and the people who live in it.</div></div>

Somehow I have difficulty with this statement about "making a difference", "honor and serve...the people who live in it". Really? You just put up semi-nudes of your ex, my
guess is without her permission, and in the same day you bring up the word "honor"??
You may have made some friends here but IMHO really you need to grow up before you start playing with guns recreationally let alone in a professional, paid context. Right now you would be a disgrace to any LE department in "your community".

Part timers generally do not get to play with the big toys.

But, between department training/ qualifications and SWAT entry and sniper elements, I fired probably 5000 rounds last year. All while pulling down almost 100k.

As far as making a difference, negative, you try to plug the hole for the duration of your shift. Good luck with the background investigation... I'd take down the pictures of your ex on the ricky-tick.

tick

I have known several guys who've shot full time as test shooters for some of the gun companies. Doesn't take a lot of time to burn out, shooting that volume of ammo every day.

Jobs that pay you to shot part time:

a) gunsmith, you'll shot others stuff and charge them for ammo.

b) 31B (MP) in the Army National Guard, if your Stateside you'll shoot (live ammo) 4 times a year. You'll hate losing weekends, MUTA 6's (Friday 0300 to Sunday 2300), the call ups, training meetings and love time (unpaid). When you leave after 25+ years you'll miss it everyday.

If your deployed to the sandbox you might shot once to qual. Everything else is a two way range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I wouldn't mind part time military or law enforcement but I'd prefer LE so I could be an asset to my community/home town.</div></div>

No offense but if I was doing your background check for LE and found the pictures you posted, it would mean a NO Go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">National Guard........When you leave after 25+ years you'll miss it everyday</div></div>

Got that right

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in the mid 70s I shot a lot of trap and skeet. Skeet I could hold my own, I could normally get my entry fees back. Trap was a different matter. The last trap shoot I did cost me $185 to enter and I won $3.95 (guess I wasn't very good).</div></div>

I did this for awhile. My average wasin the top ten in the state. One could make some money at it if you played all of the options but it would also cost you a ton of money to play them also. The classes I shot Trap in was AA/27/AA. Basically in the AA classes if I missed one bird it was an expensive practice after that and the 27 yard line one needed a 96 or better to possibly win the yardage group.

I would shoot on average 20,000 rounds a year just in practice and about that many in competition each year. It was easy to burn out doing this year after year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Part timers generally do not get to play with the big toys.

But, between department training/ qualifications and SWAT entry and sniper elements, I fired probably 5000 rounds last year. All while pulling down almost 100k.

As far as making a difference, negative, you try to plug the hole for the duration of your shift. Good luck with the background investigation... I'd take down the pictures of your ex on the ricky-tick.

tick</div></div>

most ricky-tick...haha forgot about that one. and good advice btw.