• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Getting pissed with outcome of shot placement

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
I have an AR15 with a Burris XTR-14. I have it sighted in at 200 yards. When I try to shoot out at 500 yards, it seems to be all over the place(8 inch group). But I can shoot a 2" group at 200 yards and make the same hole bigger at 100 yards. I was shooting 62gr. M855 and had the rifle rested on a sandbag. What is it that I am doing wrong? I'm tempted to pay someone to teach me precision shooting.

Here are the specs of the rifle.

YHM 16" chrome lined barrel (1:7 twist)
Phantom flash
JP bolt and carrier
Burris XTR-14 scope with 1000yard recticle
magpul prs stock
jewel 2 adjustable 2 stage

Re: Getting pissed with outcome of shot placement

Try a match grade bullet, 80 gr Berger VLD. I think you'll see a huge difference. If not reloading try Black Hills 77 gr Sierra ammo. Wade

its the scope....or better said...its YOU discerning what a 4x is presenting to you .....and the cross hair cover up any precision bullet placement.....if you had a variable to say 10x you would certainly be able to see the target better and make the holes appear grouped where you want them.

you got a CQC scope ....not a target scope

Also,what is the wind doing...doesn't take much of a breeze @ 500 yards to move the bullet a fair distance, high BC or not.

Take an 8" paper plate and hold it up to the center of your chest.

Now consider you are shooting a rat gun with an up close and pesonal scope on a short tube.

If you want sub MOA, then build that which will give it to you. The stick you describe ain't made for distance (although there are more than a couple that can do it).

Not much more than that.

Cheers,

Doc

corpsman here, now let me say that 8 inches at 500 yards isnt real shabby shooting with less than match grade equipment and from how it sounds less than world class training and experience. id say keep practicing and keep reading here. stick around and keep us updated on your progress.

Thanyou everyone for the input and advise. I was shooting with virtually no wind at all. I was just guessing the it was 500 yards, I went back with a range finder and it is 430 yards to the target.

I had Jim at Hart Barrels build my old hunting rifle(ruger M77) in to a precision shooter. I am just waiting for it to come back to me now. When I do get it back, I am going to really be picking brains on here and logging everything I do in the field.

The funny part about all this is that I was anti-gun until I went to a ARFCOM shoot in Alabama and shot a full auto. Now I am hooked and spending all spare cash on this hobby.

Your penance for years of anti-gun thinking is to convert 5 anti-gunners to your new found sport. You will then be forgiven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The funny part about all this is that I was anti-gun until I went to a ARFCOM shoot in Alabama and shot a full auto. Now I am hooked and spending all spare cash on this hobby.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your penance for years of anti-gun thinking is to convert 5 anti-gunners to your new found sport. You will then be forgiven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The funny part about all this is that I was anti-gun until I went to a ARFCOM shoot in Alabama and shot a full auto. Now I am hooked and spending all spare cash on this hobby.</div></div> </div></div>

no shit...it does take balls admiting that on this site though so kudos to you.

let me know how the m77 "precision" works out. i have a m77 compact. handy as hell but nothing about it precision. gets consistent 2 minute of deer. ive found that after years of practice, getting groups down to 1 moa(minute of angle) is usually on the gear then getting the groups from 1moa down to .5 moa is usually on me. my 2 cents and welcome to the shooting obsession.

Bullet try 69 or 75/77 grain match

16" chrome-lined barrel is NOT gonna be a grouping machine. A 20" 1:7 or 1:8 twist with a free-float tube, something like a Service Rifle configuration should deliver .5moa or thereabouts from a rest with a good scope.

How's your scope mounts? Should be able to shoot 2" groups with iron sights at 200yds, your scope should do better. Quality mounts and with a reticle that enables you to keep a fine aiming point. A 6x with hunter benchrest fine duplex or dot would be great. Choose the bottom edge of a square for an aiming point, align your crosshair and press.

Look at white oak armament's website if you want to see how longrange and match AR-15s are configured.

Recall seeing a Capt posting from Iraq on the nationalmatchUS website, (he was a Service Rifle competitor) and he bemoaned not being able to find a 20" AR-15 so he could engage the enemy beyond 350yds.

You want heavy match bullets, a 20" match barrel and scope with precision reticle to get tight groups at any real distance.

Nobody interested in match accuracy shoots a chrome-lined barrel. There are reasons, but it is fact.

M855 has a penetrator core that is usually not quite concentric to the long axis of the boolit, thus does nothing but trouble at distance.

I have a hard time believing you get one hole groups at 100yds with M855 from any mousegun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be able to shoot 2" groups with iron sights at 200yds</div></div>
Who should be able to with what ammo? Anyone with M855 (which IIRC has a 2moa radius specification when fired from an ordnace fixture)?!?!?
The biggest problem is the ammo, all other things being gtg (mounts, etc).
I guess that follows your old 4X is good for 1000yd shooting theory........
Then there's the capt from Iraq bullshit........