• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Getting ready to buy a lathe

McGuyver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Utah
Hi guys,

I'm just about getting ready to buy a lathe, my budget puts me in the $4000 range. I am almost settled on getting a Grizzly G0709 gunsmith's lathe, but I wanted to check here first to see if there is another brand or model I ought to consider before "pulling the trigger". I want to get the best value-- quality, function, durability for the money.

Thanks.

Re: Getting ready to buy a lathe

I`ve earned a wage for 40 yrs. as a journeyman machinist.I ran alot of machines in those yrs.... and still do.Retired in 2010.........Now I build my own LR rifles.... and some for others.
For my money...and half of what you`re ready to spend... I would look for a "HEAVY SOUTH BEND"....10"-14" with 1-3/8" hole thru the headstock...Coming out of a toolroom/model shop/ R&D.... some are like new yet....with alot of attachments and tooling you will be set for life.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I`ve earned a wage for 40 yrs. as a journeyman machinist.I ran alot of machines in those yrs.... and still do.Retired in 2010.........Now I build my own LR rifles.... and some for others.
For my money...and half of what you`re ready to spend... I would look for a "HEAVY SOUTH BEND"....10"-14" with 1-3/8" hole thru the headstock...Coming out of a toolroom/model shop/ R&D.... some are like new yet....with alot of attachments and tooling you will be set for life.
bill larson </div></div>

Couldn't agree more Bill....I am loving my SB Heavy 10
wink.gif

So you're talking about looking for a used South Bend, right? I'm not sure I could find a new SB that was comparable to the Grizzly G0709 for around the same price. Pardon my ignorance, but is the South Bend an american made lathe? I'd love to buy something domestic and of good quality, but I really can't afford to pay 10K for one, and it's kind of hit or miss looking for a used lathe. I could get lucky and find a really great one, or I could look forever and only find a so-so set up for the money I am willing to spend. Having said that, do you have any recommendation on a site that lists some good used lathes for around the price I mentioned?

McGuyver, South Bend Lathes are as American as a Corvette or apple pie. The new $16000.00 South Bends are made overseas, but that's not what they are talking about here. The heavy 10 is hard to find in good condition (well not for some people), but they are worth the work and time spent doing so. It is a very high quality machine with very simple to use controls. You might want to look them up. Best of luck.

Another very, very high quality lathe is a Monarch. I have a 1944 vintage 10EE I bought from the physics department of a university in beautiful condition with two 3-jaws, a 4 jaw, a 6 jaw,steady rest, centers and lots of tooling for $2000. There are plenty of parts still available for the old American lathes like Southbend, LeBlond and Monarch, you can easily keep them running.

My next step is upfitting an AC servodrive to replace the rickety old DC motor.

The Grizzly is great for the price and all the features. I have the large gunsmith's lathe. The wait time to get one is a couple of months out . While a OLD workhorse that others suggest is great, but try to find one that is in good condition and you don't have to spend a fortune getting up to new spec is damn near impossible. Most of the OLD good lathes have been handed down and handed down from shops to schools and have not been treated well. If you do find a good OLD one it will cost you WAY more than 4000$. Plus plan on spending the same or twice that amount in tooling for your lathe.

I'll add Clausing Colchester to the list of quality machines to look at. I have a '73 model 13" and it works perfect. There are quite a few around. Check ebay for a while. You never know what might show up close to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll add Clausing Colchester to the list of quality machines to look at. I have a '73 model 13" and it works perfect. There are quite a few around. Check ebay for a while. You never know what might show up close to you.</div></div>

I have the same machine perhaps a hair newer they are built like a brick house. Ive had at least a dozen different lathes over the last 20 years I definitely like this one the best so far. I had a 15" Colchester as it was great as well but I didnt think the was ideal for barrel work. In a perfect world I would have kept them both and used the 13 for chambering and the 15 for truing and odds and ends. One lathe I haven't owned but would love to find someday is a AA Harrison, the Nardinis are pretty nice as well.
To the OP the important thing to remember if you buy used is condition is everything. Parts for these machines are very expensive if they can even be had. Many things can be repaired or remanned but it takes time. So if you want a turnkey deal with little or no risk of problems go with the new import. If you feel you can evaluate condition and find potential issues in a used machine you might get more bang for the buck in a good used machine. Good Luck

Looking at the way they are built, with even minimal care, they could last forever.

The others you mentioned are nice and I would add an EMCO Maximat V13 to that list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I`ve earned a wage for 40 yrs. as a journeyman machinist.I ran alot of machines in those yrs.... and still do.Retired in 2010.........Now I build my own LR rifles.... and some for others.
bill larson </div></div>
THIS X 100
Take your time and look around. My brother found a like new 1970 Tool Room South Bend with DRO for 1,800.00

I've got a Colchester also, built like a tank. One thing about all the older lathes, and I guess the mills too, is you have to be able to work on the controls parts. Most of these are fairly simple to trouble shoot, a couple of motor control boxes and a handful of limit switches etc.

If, though, you end up with a Hardinge or Monarch EE, you might be shocked at the amount of wires and stuff in the cabinets under those units. Great, fantastic machines for the work they are capable of, but either learn how to work on them, or get an import.

I just moved the Colchester across the shop, along the wall, instead of in middle of the floor. Wired it up, turned it on, dead, no go. Break out the Fluke, chase down the missing electrons, and there it is, a bad thermal switch, and some burned wires. NOT AVAILABLE, for parts. So now, I have an electrical engineering issue to solve before I use that again. Lucky for me, I know a guy.... but it's $1000 to fix.

By the time you maintain the older iron, you might find the import stuff is a bargain, both in terms of time and money.

FWIW, one of the best BR guys I know, uses a pair of import lathes, and an import mill. And his stuff, is perfect.

Thanks guys for your input. I think that since the back order is so long for these imports, I will go ahead and get the Grizzly on order and then keep my eyes open for additional options. If something better comes along, I can always cancel the Grizzly before it ships. I've got nothing to lose, so I might as well do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McGuyver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for your input. I think that since the back order is so long for these imports, I will go ahead and get the Grizzly on order and then keep my eyes open for additional options. If something better comes along, I can always cancel the Grizzly before it ships. I've got nothing to lose, so I might as well do it. </div></div>

Good call! Sometimes people keep calling and never get one on order. The people that have one on order get on a priority list.

For those that are in a hurry, we have some G0509Gs in stock. That's the big daddy of gunsmith lathes used by many big time companies and serious gunsmiths. More money, but a lot of lathe.

Jorgensen tools in Salt Lake carries import lathes in about that price range and they currently have a Sheldon em-56 listed on their webpage I think for $2500 I have a Early 60's Sheldon that I really like, Belt Driven, comparable size and weight to a heavy 10 and headstock is short enough to chamber through if you want.

I got my G0709 recently, it seems to be good value. The Coolant Pump is no count, but I am looking at replacements for that. Runs true and has all the options I was looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtwoeightyfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">… and headstock is short enough to chamber through if you want. </div></div>

An important feature, to be sure. My Monarch 10EE doesn't afford this, unless it's a long Palma barrel. I've gotta get creative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sixtwoeightyfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">… and headstock is short enough to chamber through if you want. </div></div>

An important feature, to be sure. My Monarch 10EE doesn't afford this, unless it's a long Palma barrel. I've gotta get creative. </div></div>

We have 2 10ee's at work, hell of a lathe probably one of the finest tool room lathes ever created I would love to have one but I can see how through headstock would be tuff and there isnt alot of bed for anything between centers. But damn those things are heavy and rigid.

Thanks for the input guys. Well it turns out the wait won't be as long as I thought it would be for the Grizzly-- they had a small quantity of the G0709 in stock in the Bellingham Washington warehouse, so it should be delivered in 3 to 5 business days once it ships. So looks like I'll be going with that lathe--LOL!! Thanks again guys.