• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses getting ready to go to badlands in oklahoma next month any advice

B

boomer81

my new years resolution was to really up my game so about a month from now im going to grandfield and im getting pumped. i live 2hrs from badlands and have been wanting to go for years. i i should probably call bobby again. but what did you guys take when you went. as far as rifle caliber and packs etc. ive got to get to loading and get tuned up. i just got a dpms gen2 ar-10. also have a wicked custom 243ai with 7.5 twist both of those i can run a can on. the 243ai has a schnieder tubb polygonal barrel but i really don't know if i want to eat up that barrel burner. it's more of a varmint rifle but it launches 115gr pills down range and i love it.

and i also have a 700 xcr in 300 win. im taking the ar-10 and a bolt gun is the 300 overkill. and shooting a few hundred rounds of 300 in a couple of days i could be sore (i have a limbsaver though) and i know some folks may get sick of that thing going off next to em but it's a long range course right. i know thats kind of a dumb question but just want to have good etiquette. also thought of buying a used 700 sps aac .308 that way i can just stay with .308 also packs gear etc what all did you guys bring. i have a erblestock pack that should work fine range finder data books yeti cooler with food etc anything else. thanks to all

Grandfield Oklahoma? Bobby Whittington? What is going on there? I'm working a few minutes west of there in Frederick. Any info would be appreciated.

cool then i guess i better get to loading some 230 berger hybrids. it says to take 300 rounds of match ammo. how many rounds did you guys really end up shooting. a buddy went to the handgun course said he almost melted a glock ;) they shot so much. i know different ball game. but i figure i would always want to take a bit more. any other tips

Man im oklahoma born and raised been crawling in that red dirt since i learned to crawl

Bigscoot45 and I will be there that weekend as well. I doubt anyone will care about the 300WM...

Stay at the dorm, bring some warm clothes (it was pretty chilly in the mornings last April), cooler is a great idea. Bobby just moved the class to a new building in town; I think it has a functioning kitchen.

Range finder isn't really necessary. Bring a spotting scope, binoculars, rear bag, and mat. I carry all my shit in my eberlestock pack when I go down there.

It's a great class; I took the basic class last April and have been back to observe and work on my spotting skills twice since then.

I think I shot about 220 rounds in my basic class. I qualified pretty quick and was able to spend a lot more time working on spotting and data book management.

Last edited:
Be sure to ask them about me being a fraud, it's one of their favorite topics.

Um yeah...they're not fans of you. I don't know the whole story, nor do I care to, but I can say this:

I've leaned a LOT about long range precision shooting from your site and from their instruction. The combination of the 2 has allowed me to make hits on targets I once thought was impossible. So, a big thanks to both of you.

Took the Precision Rifle 1 class a few years ago in June. Took 300 rounds. Fired around 165. I came with my rifle zeroed. Some did not and took many rounds to get zeroed.

I stayed in the "dorm" (the old building, apparently). Nice enough. Good opportunity to BS with other shooters in evening. Bring some stuff to eat. The kitchen had some fixins. Dining opportunities are very limited in Grandfield.

My shooting mat has black rubber patches towards the front. Given the Oklahoma sun in June, those patches got brutally hot.

Great people, excellent class. I would go back again.

Be sure to ask them about me being a fraud, it's one of their favorite topics.

The class was awesome. Blew away all expectations i could have. Its a no bullshit type of place with the best instruction ive ever had in any type of education. Instructors would hang out until midnight and shoot the shit and awnser any question. I met people who will be friends for life. And im 10 times the rifleman if not more than i was a week ago. I cant recommend this place any higher.

And frank As to them calling you a fraud i never heard it. It was one of the most positive places ive ever been. Only you know if your a fraud or not. so why worry what other people think. All i know is bobby and steve and the rest of those guys are the real fucking deal.

Last edited by a moderator: