• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Getting rid of the wretched "SPRONG"

Doc Holiday13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2008
LoCo, VA
Anyway to do it? I'm told there is something you can use but was never told what. Is it like axle or lithium grease?

Re: Getting rid of the wretched "SPRONG"

The silicone based axel grease works very well. Its the blue colored stuff from the autoparts store. For whatever reason the blue stuff is a bit stickier and although mess to apply it stays put and is overall less messy YMMV.

A tub of the stuff is about 8.00 so not much lost if it donsnt work to your liking.

Hydralic buffers still retain the spring unless you go with a full replacement like the one made by Oly Arms but they only offer it for rifle length.

I don't even notice it anymore. But I do her that Tubbs spring does get rid of the noise.

The sprong is good. It tells you if the AR is functioning correctly. Sounds different if it doesn't pick up a round. Sounds different when the bolt locks back. Sounds different if there's a failure to extract or a stovepipe.

Become one with the sprong.

I agree, it's just part of the platform, I really don't notice it anymore myself. That being said, I have used Moly-B and it seems to help. Just get one of those huge Qtips and smear it around inside the buffer tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't even notice it anymore. But I do her that Tubbs spring does get rid of the noise.</div></div>

+1....the noise is a function of that cheap piano wire recoil spring in the stock....the Tubb flat recoil spring gives consistent bolt carrier tension and as a by-product abates the spring rattle or poing........the brass get tossed into a neat pile also about 2 or 3 o'clock

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/AR_15_PRODUCTS-AR15_Buffer_Springs.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Become one with the sprong. </div></div>

That belongs on a T shirt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The silicone based axel grease works very well. Its the blue colored stuff from the autoparts store...</div></div>For what it's worth the most blue stuff is not silicone based. The more waterproof stuff (Sta-Lube for example) will be Aluminum Complex but many brands are just normal Lithium Complex greases with different additives. Both get the tackiness from additives.

I have also heard that the Tubb flat wire spring makes less noise. What I find strange is that the same spring is said to work in rifle or carbine length buffer tubes. I have handled a rifle with one and it was quieter than normal but I haven't gotten to shoot one.
http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/ar15_images/cs_flatwire.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyway to do it? I'm told there is something you can use but was never told what. Is it like axle or lithium grease? </div></div>

That depends. How reliable do you want your weapon to be?

Jam some sticky ass grease in an area that it's not needed and see how much crap you get in there.

If it REALLY bothers you, the AK dosen't "sproing"
wink.gif

And I can testify the flatwire spring does fit both rifle and carbine. Suprised me as well. And does take care of the sprong. Although I kinda miss it...

Yes, the Tubb Chrome-Silicon flatwire spring eliminates the sprong. I am now one at peace with the universe in the absence of the sprong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the Tubb Chrome-Silicon flatwire spring eliminates the sprong. I am now one at peace with the universe in the absence of the sprong. </div></div>

This is a great upgrade, as his spring will last much longer than a regular spring.

Does it get rid of the sprong? No, it just sounds like a SPRING now...you're still gonna hear some noise as the carrier cyles
smile.gif
Seriously, if you don't like the noise, you haven't been shooting it enough. If you just can't stand it, stick with bolt actions. SPRONG is part of the music that an AR makes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...sprong sounds like some social disease...... </div></div>

I took Penicillin to get rid of mine!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't even notice it anymore. But I do her that Tubbs spring does get rid of the noise.</div></div>

+1....the noise is a function of that cheap piano wire recoil spring in the stock....the Tubb flat recoil spring gives consistent bolt carrier tension and as a by-product abates the spring rattle or poing........the brass get tossed into a neat pile also about 2 or 3 o'clock

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/AR_15_PRODUCTS-AR15_Buffer_Springs.html </div></div>

Well it looks like I'm getting put down for two of them janx. One for the 6.8 and one for the AR10

I'll probably throw some grease in there too just for funsies. Sometimes the sprong just throws off my mental connection to my surroundings. I usually shoot out in fields where the only thing you can hear is the occasional crack of electricity from nearby powerlines. I don't notice it at the range cuz its sooo loud indoors

Back when the M16 first came upon the scene, there was a cartoon character named Gerald McBoingboing. Owing to the characteristic 'Boing', the M16 was attributed as the bastard offspring of Matty Mattel and Gerald McBoingboing.

All we ever did was wipe down the spring, buffer, and cavity, then regrease with whatever heavy grease was available down at the motor pool.

The operative term was 'Glop'.

Greg

I bought a AR off a guy once that greased the buffer spring what a freakin mess ...No thanks I'll live with the sprung.