• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting setup for 308...die recommendations?

derek1387

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2013
KC, KS
I currently load 9mm, 45, and several other handgun calibers.

I just purchased a r700 in 308, and plan on loading some semi precision ammo. I do plan on using my 550B to load, but plan on only loading a single cartridge at a time, to ensure everything goes smoothly.

So, my question-Dies-do I need to spend $200 and get a set like the Redding Competition dies, or are there less expensive dies that will get me going for good quality accurate loads?

Thanks guys!

There are lots of ways to approach this one... but I've always gotten along very well with RCBS dies, and I do like the Lee Collet for neck sizing. These are not too expensive, and seem to do the job well. At least now, the largest variable in the equation is me--not my rifle or my loads. :)

Nah, you don't have to spend $200 on dies to get quality ammo. I use Hornady FL dies and have a RCBS Neck sizing die. I do however spin the case as I'm seating the bullet to help lessen runout. I've noticed it works pretty good. Biggest thing about making sure you keep runout to a minimum is to brush out the inside of the cases neck. This helps make sure the expanding ball slides easily and doesn't pull neck off center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a rcbs die set in 308 that i will sell you. Pm me if interested. I swapped to forster benchrest dies, I have less run out now, but it shoots the same.....

I have dies from various manufacturers and have the following comments:

1. I have a bunch of RCBS dies and have no serious complaints about them. They do have a hole in them that allows extra lube to come out without putting wrinkles in the case shoulder which I like. I don't like their lock rings so usually discard them and use Hornady lock rings instead.

2. Redding dies are well made but they don't have the relief hole for extra lube to escape. Their lock rings are like RCBS lock rings so I use Hornady lock rings on them as well.

3. I have no complaints about Hornady die quality but they go with the one size fits all approach so you get big clunky dies for even a small cartridge. That means the die box is bigger and takes up more storage space.

4. Lee Collet Dies are overrated. I used to use them with great enthusiasm but no longer do once I learned that they sometimes make much less accurate ammunition than ammo with full length sized brass.

5. If you wish to crimp bullets, the best die is the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

6. Lee full length sizing dies are fine though I use Hornady lock rings with their sizing dies. Their lock rings with the rubber O rings are fine for things that done need consistency in length such as use with a dedicated depriming die or a swageing die.

7. Forster dies are fine but their storage boxes are too big and the plastic they're made from has a very low coeficient of friction so they don't stack well.

8. I have competition or bench rest dies of Forster, Redding and RCBS manufacturer. I can't say that one is a whole lot better than the other at least judgeing from what I see on paper. In fact, I haven't noticed any increase in accuracy with ammo made with them. They are handy in setting up and resetting at a specific COAL.

Last edited:
i like Forster and Redding, Forster's service was stellar(even got a follow up phone call a month after) and both dies perform as expected.

Once you use a whidden or redding comp set I doubt you'll ever go back. They work great and will both work in a dillon. I'd get a bushing full length sizer so you can adjust for neck tension as the necks thin out.

I have used RCBS, Lee and don't see much difference in performance of the 308 rounds loaded with either set. I do like the Lee factory crimp dies. One advantage of the Lee dies its a lot harder to break the recapping pin.

The only thing I'd recommend is the Forrester competition bullet seating die. I definitely saw reduced run-out compared to my Lee bullet seating die.

Once you use a whidden or redding comp set I doubt you'll ever go back. They work great and will both work in a dillon. I'd get a bushing full length sizer so you can adjust for neck tension as the necks thin out.

+1 on that, Whidden make some fine dies. For cheaper dies nothing wrong with RCBS.

i use rcbs lee and lyman dies i also like the lee collet die. cabelas has 223 and 308 lyman dies fro 14.88 that is why i have some lyman dies as well

Lee Ultimate 4-Die Set 308 Winchester
Redding Small Base Body Die 308 Winchester

Not much else needed...
I have used just about any kind of die set you care to name. Extremely expensive micrometer etc etc type die sets Can Make a Difference! That said, if your rifle is anywhere even close to average, your reloading practices will usually have a far greater impact. Learn to reload *Well*, and your ammo will be quite satisfactory!

The only thing I'd recommend is the Forrester competition bullet seating die. I definitely saw reduced run-out compared to my Lee bullet seating die.

I forgot to mention I have the same die for bullet seating for both my 223/556 and 308/7.62X51

Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die
Redding Body Die
Redding or Forster Micrometer Seater

This is all you will need. Use them in that order. I have this exact setup for my 308 and a 270. I have never had a round come out with more than .002" runout and 90%+ are .001" or less runout.

There are lots of ways to approach this one... but I've always gotten along very well with RCBS dies, and I do like the Lee Collet for neck sizing. These are not too expensive, and seem to do the job well. At least now, the largest variable in the equation is me--not my rifle or my loads. :)
Exact same dies I have used with great success. Just neck sizes the first 2-3 reloadings. Then your sould anneal and FLS all the cases and start the procedures over again. RCBS Chargemaster throws accurate charges. Stainless steel tumblers work the best!
Have fun! I find it as much fun as shooting! Good luck!

Redding Body Die

This is all you will need. Use them in that order. I have this exact setup for my 308 and a 270. I have never had a round come out with more than .002" runout and 90%+ are .001" or less runout.

What I do as well. I have tried really hard to use more expensive dies to get away from the Lee because it just can't be any good AND be cheap. No dice. I'll continue to stick with what works.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As long as you take the time to Read and Understand the Lee dies, they work very well! Lots of really good equipment out there, use what works best for you! :)

Redding Body Die

Have you tried using them in the reverse order? (except for the bullet seating die)

I have tried using the body die first and then the neck sizer. There really wasn't too much difference, but using the neck sizer first followed by the body die yielded just the slightest amount of better runout more often. German Salazar had similar results in his testing and there is a write up about it over at accurateshooter.com. It probably doesn't make any difference what-so-ever, especially with my skill set, but I just like having the knowledge that every round is as good as it can possibly be.

I have a Lee FL die set in 308 and it seems to make good ammo. If I were to do it over again I'd go for a Redding FL bushing die and Forster micrometer seater. They aren't *that* much more expensive in the overall picture, and I really like how well they work. Whidden also makes a nice set and they have great customer service.

Redding is the best. If I were you I would start with a Redding Comp seating die and a Lee Collet die.

I have tried using the body die first and then the neck sizer. There really wasn't too much difference, but using the neck sizer first followed by the body die yielded just the slightest amount of better runout more often. German Salazar had similar results in his testing and there is a write up about it over at accurateshooter.com. It probably doesn't make any difference what-so-ever, especially with my skill set, but I just like having the knowledge that every round is as good as it can possibly be.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

I was using Redding Type S Match Neck dies for my AI AE and AT. I was getting good results but I decided to full length size, should have done that from the beginning but thats another story. I still use the competition seating die that came with the set but got a Hornady match grade full length die as I couldn't get a Redding die locally. I have been impressed with the Hornady die so far as I can use the nitride bushing that I used in my Redding die and getting very low runout with the Hornady die. I also use the standard Hornady Full Length Die Set for my 6.5 CM and have shot some 5 rd groups in the .1's and .2's and consistently sub half moa at 100 m. I honestly don't think I can get any better results with more expensive Redding or Whidden dies which I was going to get but see no reason with the results I am getting with the Hornady dies.

Forster, I have tried 'em all except Whidden.
I just flat don't fool with bushing dies anymore, in my experience they make things worse and bushings are expensive.
Best is to have a die made to fit your chamber with the least amount of neck sizing possible.
I have had more stuck cases with hornady dies than any other, other folks have not, but I wont take the chance again.