• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Getting started

tommyv7474

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
Freind of mine is putting in a 1000 yard range. I am going to buy a gun to shoot that distance. My problem is I am not sure what to buy. I want to keep scope and rifle around 2k. I do reload and recoil is not an issue. What do you guys recommend?

Re: Getting started

Been shooting 20 years but living in the mountains of Tennessee we dont have a lot of places to shoot distance. Our local range is 200 yards. this will be a first for me at that distance. I have a VSSF remington in .223 that i have shot at 300 yards. But thats it. i like the rem 700 very well. I been looking at .308 5r, 300 win mag 5r, and the .338 lapua mag in the rem 700p.

.308 will get it done fine. .300 win mag is a balance between .308 and .338. You get better ballistics with a mag and the .338, but costlier, and the .300 has a wider bullet selection than .338 which would matter to you since you reload.
Have you ever considered a .260? It matches the .300 win mag and rapes the .308 past 500. And since you reload, you could make rounds customized for simple practice AND long range shooting to make costs even easier to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SJshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 will get it done fine. .300 win mag is a balance between .308 and .338. You get better ballistics with a mag and the .338, but costlier, and the .300 has a wider bullet selection than .338 which would matter to you since you reload.
Have you ever considered a .260? It matches the .300 win mag and rapes the .308 past 500. And since you reload, you could make rounds customized for simple practice AND long range shooting to make costs even easier to deal with. </div></div>

Agreed. Go 260!